The Student Room Group

What degree is more credible? Business Management & Economics BSC or Economics BSC

Hello,

I received an Unconditional Offer (With both my AS & A2 grades pending ie No current A Level qualifications) to study Business Management & Economics at University of Roehampton.

I wanted to know what degree is more credible, Business Management & Economics BSC or Economics BSC?

Please let me know ASAP
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deenattireco
Hello,

I received an Unconditional Offer (With both my AS & A2 grades pending ie No current A Level qualifications) to study Business Management & Economics at University of Roehampton.

I wanted to know what degree is more credible, Business Management & Economics BSC or Economics BSC?

Please let me know ASAP
Thank you

Hi,

In theory Business Management and Economics BSC would be more credible, mainly because as well as economics, the degree has the management side to Business, which is valued by employers, because they would see leadership and management qualities, rather than just an economics degree.

TornadoLord125
I was told the opposite, in regards to an Economics degree, it is more in depth in comparison to Business Management & Economics where Economics is not bring taught as in depth as a standalone Economics Degree.
Being*
I was told the opposite, in regards to an Economics degree, it is more in depth in comparison to Business Management & Economics where Economics is not bring taught as in depth as a standalone Economics Degree.

This is true, however it depends what industry you would want to work in? If it is finance, then it would be more beneficial to do a management and economics degree. I mean at the end of the day, it is down to in depth research of the two degrees,and also visit open and applicant days, they are amazing at providing thorough detail about degrees. :smile:

TornadoLord125
Econ definitely
I don't think you should base your decision around what is more "credible" as they are both similar courses, you should look at the course materials to see if you have a interest in one more than the other :smile:
BSC Economics is the more credible subject, as the BSC Economics and Business Management will be less in depth, as the subject is watered down on both sides, the Economics side and the Business Management side.

Employers however, if they are aware, do not favour the neoclassical edit of some Economics degrees, so if you have a joint honours which separates you from the neoclassical school of thought - you might be better doing the joint honour degree of BSC Business Management and Economics.

Essentially, what job do you want? Employers will differ further about what applicant they would want between what occupation they are in!
Original post by TornadoLord125
This is true, however it depends what industry you would want to work in? If it is finance, then it would be more beneficial to do a management and economics degree. I mean at the end of the day, it is down to in depth research of the two degrees,and also visit open and applicant days, they are amazing at providing thorough detail about degrees. :smile:

TornadoLord125

Not really, you use 10% of what has been taught in your degrees. The majority of people in banking/financial services have an economics degree. Economics is more open, management I feel would confine you, similar to A&F. They expect you to go down a certain route, unless of course you got to Oxford
Replied

Original post by TornadoLord125
Hi,

In theory Business Management and Economics BSC would be more credible, mainly because as well as economics, the degree has the management side to Business, which is valued by employers, because they would see leadership and management qualities, rather than just an economics degree.

TornadoLord125
The website states Business Management & Economics degree but as a Single Honours Degree

Original post by NatalieEXE
BSC Economics is the more credible subject, as the BSC Economics and Business Management will be less in depth, as the subject is watered down on both sides, the Economics side and the Business Management side.

Employers however, if they are aware, do not favour the neoclassical edit of some Economics degrees, so if you have a joint honours which separates you from the neoclassical school of thought - you might be better doing the joint honour degree of BSC Business Management and Economics.

Essentially, what job do you want? Employers will differ further about what applicant they would want between what occupation they are in!
I want to get into the finance industry however not really keen on Investment banking or similar. Ideally a Tax Accountant or similar job role within Finance.

The website states Business Management & Economics degree but as a Single Honours Degree

If its a single degree i would choose this.
So it being a Single Honours Degree is better, I just called Roehampton to confirm and they stated Business Management & Economics Undergraduate Degree is a Single Honours Degree.

Original post by chikane
If its a single degree i would choose this.
If the degree is a single honours degree, which Business Management & Economics is, does that mean both Business Management and Economics are taught in depth, not watered down versions?

Original post by cathrg26
Not really, you use 10% of what has been taught in your degrees. The majority of people in banking/financial services have an economics degree. Economics is more open, management I feel would confine you, similar to A&F. They expect you to go down a certain route, unless of course you got to Oxford
Even if Business Management & Economics is a Single Honours Degree?

Original post by cathrg26
Econ definitely

Oh I am sorry, well the point still stands that both subjects won't be in as much depth as if they were taken separately (regardless of my error of terminology, joint honours/single honours...)
Oh I am sorry, well the point still stands that both subjects won't be in as much depth as if they were taken separately (regardless of my error of terminology, joint honours/single honours...)

Ah okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to get into the finance industry however not really keen on Investment banking or similar. Ideally a Tax Accountant or similar job role within Finance.

In such case, you are at no advantage from one to the other, from a source who is the head of recruitment at a well-known Head Office bank in Canary Wharf, your final grade and the opportunities you took up and achievements you have made during your university experience is what marks your credibility and employability- e.g. they have taken on an employee who studied 'Psychology' (rare example though)

As your course choices are similar, and you don't want to become an economist, the BSc Econ/Business Management might open up placements in Business (potentially Financial) equally, BSc Econ might open up placements in Finance.

What subject do you feel you would get the better final grade in?
(edited 8 years ago)
Is A level grades regarded as highly important by these firms?

What sort of oppurtunuites should I endeavour to take up at University other than a Part-time job at a Supermarket (Which I currently have).

I feel I would excel better in Business Management and Economics in comprison to Economics however would rather achieve a 2:1 than a First in the more credible degree that will get me a job with a good average starting salary.

In such case, you are at no advantage from one to the other, from a source who is the head of recruitment at a well-known Head Office bank in Canary Wharf, your final grade and the opportunities you took up and achievements you have made during your university experience is what marks your credibility and employability- e.g. they have taken on an employee who studied 'Psychology' (rare example though)

As your course choices are similar, and you don't want to become an economist, the BSc Econ/Business Management might open up placements in Business (potentially Financial) equally, BSc Econ might open up placements in Finance.

What subject do you feel you would get the better final grade in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending