The Student Room Group
Their interest rates are usually way higher than if you got a loan from your bank so I'd try elsewhere first!
Reply 2
Cyburn
I plan on getting a £400 laptop at Currys Digital, but dont want to spend £400 at once.

I looked in Currys Digital and saw that you can pay £12.67 a month using easyplan

Do you recommend this?

Funny you asked this I was just about to post a similar question as I am considering getting a laptop for work as I can't see how I will have the opportunities to do the academic work whilst moving about all the time.

I looked at www.ebuyer.com who had a few laptops around the £400 mark and I would imagine they would be better than Currys tbh.. and they also offer finance with nothing to pay for 6 months and then you manage how much you pay there on after I think it said. However the shock of it all was the 29.9% apr!! which i'm not sure I could cope with!

Like the other poster said if you can get a £500 loan from your bank then it will work out far cheaper. However if like me they hate you then your options will most likely be with the 29.9% rip off charges..
Reply 3
Actually with currys getting Easiplan is much better then the intrest free option

I work at Currys my self im not sure about other branches but with our one with Easiplan you can get 10% off the product meaning for a £400 laptop your only taking out a £360 loan IF you dont pay a deposit...

£360 HAS intrest of 24.9% APR
£360 / over 48 months is £7.50
With the 24.9% APR you will be paying £9.40 a month..

Easiplan can be settled at any time by sending a check to HFC... and unlike other credit agreements with currys you are not entiltled to pay a £19 settlement fee. if you pay for 6 months you will have paid £56.40 which of £11.40 is intrest, £45 will be pay off the £360 = £315

so even with the 24.9% APR you have only paid £11.40 which if you take into account you had 10% off, you are still getting the product for around about 7.5% cheaper then the ticket price.

Intrest free options are good but you have a settlement fee & if you dont pay withint the intrest free option time period you are stuck with 29.9% APR instead of Easiplan's 24.9%

I hope this helps.... :smile:
Reply 4
Can you get me a discount at Currys? - Sounds desperate yes, but I wanna buy a laptop, and the cheaper the better!
I am interestd in gettin a lap top aswell...so the currys thing is good to know!
Thankyou xx
Reply 6
Alternativly, get a 2nd hand laptop for £200.
- Serously, the whole monthly payment finace scheme thing is a slippary one way slope to doom.

Daniel
Reply 7
Cyburn
I plan on getting a £400 laptop at Currys Digital, but dont want to spend £400 at once.

I looked in Currys Digital and saw that you can pay £12.67 a month using easyplan

Do you recommend this?
try www.technoworld.com you can go on a buy now pay 9 months later interest free plan. with that it gives you the time to save up the money...
Reply 8
HollaJay
Actually with currys getting Easiplan is much better then the intrest free option

I work at Currys my self im not sure about other branches but with our one with Easiplan you can get 10% off the product meaning for a £400 laptop your only taking out a £360 loan IF you dont pay a deposit...

£360 HAS intrest of 24.9% APR
£360 / over 48 months is £7.50
With the 24.9% APR you will be paying £9.40 a month..

Easiplan can be settled at any time by sending a check to HFC... and unlike other credit agreements with currys you are not entiltled to pay a £19 settlement fee. if you pay for 6 months you will have paid £56.40 which of £11.40 is intrest, £45 will be pay off the £360 = £315

so even with the 24.9% APR you have only paid £11.40 which if you take into account you had 10% off, you are still getting the product for around about 7.5% cheaper then the ticket price.

Intrest free options are good but you have a settlement fee & if you dont pay withint the intrest free option time period you are stuck with 29.9% APR instead of Easiplan's 24.9%

I hope this helps.... :smile:
48 months is a long time to be paying for a laptop... thats a 4 year old laptop by the end of it, inwhich time technology will have advanced immensely and the laptop would be worth hardly nothing
dhutch
Alternativly, get a 2nd hand laptop for £200.
- Serously, the whole monthly payment finace scheme thing is a slippary one way slope to doom.

Daniel

I have always thought that about any finance..but with a laptop, I would probably buy rubbish, I have not much idea when it comes to computers.
Reply 10
Amy
48 months is a long time to be paying for a laptop... thats a 4 year old laptop by the end of it, inwhich time technology will have advanced immensely and the laptop would be worth hardly nothing

Yeah, well thats the thing isnt it.
- Its like buying a sofa for "Only £2 a month"
- Buy the time you've actally bought it, its 5 years old. And because it wasnt a very expesive one anyway, its knacked already!

Daniel
Reply 11
Amy

Well like i said you can settle the outstanding fee anytime you want and there is no settlement fee you would simply send a check for the outstanding balance to HFC...

if your intrested about easiplan just go in and say....
"when i got easiplan before in a diffrent currys branch i got 10% off the product, do you do that here?"
and "Can i get a quote?"... they will show you how much the monthly payments are..

To be honest i probly wouldnt buy a computer/laptop from currys even though i work there for the simple fact www.novatech.com is much better but its good for say if your buying a tv
NovaTech also do a by now pay later for 9 months which i currently have :wink:
Reply 12
If you get anything from Curry's make sure you get the coverplan for it, else you're screwed.
Reply 13
so true, ive seen so many people say "well its got a year's warrenty so i dont want cover plan" and then getting anoyed cause they expect an exchange for a new one which wont happen unless they cant fix it

or they are anoyed for how long it takes for the maufacturer to get out to them, good thing about the coverplan is they get somone out to you in two working days, and even give you a two hour time slot in which they will come... hell they will even give you vouchers to buy a replacment if they can not fix it no hassle... :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Cyburn

Do you recommend this?

:smile::smile::smile::wink::wink::wink:
But to avail this oppourtunity its necessary that u r the permanent resident of Uk or minimum 3 year residency proof
Yes i wanna to get a laptop via monthly installments

Latest