The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2016 Foundation Year hopefuls.

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wisefire
Have any students aged 19+ applied for any degrees with a Foundation Year at Durham? Discuss below?

Yes, me :smile: I got an unconditional offer... anyone else?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Wisefire
Hello. :smile: When did you recieve your offer?

I applied on the deadline day, the 15th of January 2016, for Finance with a Foundation Year. I still haven't received a response. I wrote to Durham over 7000 words through their online enquiry form, somewhat explaining an adverse, extremely lonely and tough place I'm at at the moment, circumstances which didn't allow me to complete my A2s nine months ago. I am truly a "young learner, under 21, with adverse which could not have been mitigated/prevented by my (previous) academic provider."

I'm pretty terrified for my future, and whether Durham pick me up or not. I'm wasting my life at the moment, incredibly hungry to get back into and stay within education for a good time. I've lost many social and educational opportunities because of obsessive, toxic over thinking that has overwhelmed me. No need to get into what ridiculous amount I have behind me, but I even changed my name fully to be less lonely in life simply.

Do you know anything or can you share any of your own ideas on what'd be against anyone's favour in an application for a Foundation Year course at Durham? What can be, that'd make the Foundation Centre decline an application? What can go against me?

Hi,

I received an email a few days ago; and also only submitted on the 15th. I think that they're incredibly busy with the applications - and reading a 7000 word long essay about your life is time consuming. Perhaps just wait a few days, and if they haven't responded to your application, send a SHORT mail to their admissions center asking whether they have received it. In truth, your personal statement would/should have been your selling point for the positive reasons to take you on as a student... Unfortunately, in my opinion (and no ill will intended - though it may be harsh) - looking for a pity offer is not a good way to go... We all have our own personal issues to deal with regardless. Try not to overthink things ok?

As I said, wait a few days and see. I'm not sure whether they have made offers in all departments yet - I know there are many people out there still waiting. My first response was a rejection, so I know how it feels just waiting around. I'm still waiting for my other choices to get back to me, though I'll more than likely confirm Durham.

Good luck!
Original post by ClaireFad
Yes, me :smile: I got an unconditional offer... anyone else?

Yes I got an unconditional offer for pharmacy with a foundation year. And I agree with ClaireFad about not going for pity. I have had a lot to overcome but I focused on the positive as everything I read about submitting personal statements said too. Also I believe only the personal statement and not the 7000 word email, will be taken into account on deciding on whether to give you a place. Good luck though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jammymadden
Yes I got an unconditional offer for pharmacy with a foundation year. And I agree with ClaireFad about not going for pity. I have had a lot to overcome but I focused on the positive as everything I read about submitting personal statements said too. Also I believe only the personal statement and not the 7000 word email, will be taken into account on deciding on whether to give you a place. Good luck though.

Hello , I've also applied for B321 Pharmacy at Durham and submitted UCAS on the 7th of Jan. Haven't heard yet! :frown:

If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your personal statement and have you been in touch since? :smile:
Original post by goa16
Hello , I've also applied for B321 Pharmacy at Durham and submitted UCAS on the 7th of Jan. Haven't heard yet! :frown:

If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your personal statement and have you been in touch since? :smile:

Hi I submitted my application on the 11th Jan. Have you applied for pharmacy or pharmacy with foundation like me? I'm going for a visit today as I'm in a wheelchair and need to check the accessibility. Hang in there.
Reply 6
Hi I submitted my application on the 11th Jan. Have you applied for pharmacy or pharmacy with foundation like me? I'm going for a visit today as I'm in a wheelchair and need to check the accessibility. Hang in there.

Sorry I meant B231 pharmacy with foundation. The wait is so frustrating. I've submitted my ucas on 10th Jan.
Congratulations on the offer! Hopefully I'll be joining you :smile:
Original post by goa16
Sorry I meant B231 pharmacy with foundation. The wait is so frustrating. I've submitted my ucas on 10th Jan.
Congratulations on the offer! Hopefully I'll be joining you :smile:

If you want to private message me we can have a chat. The lady I spoke to today said most of the offers hadnt gone out yet so dont worry.
Hi, guys! I submitted my application to Durham University a couple of days ago for the programme Medicine with Foundation. How long after you submitted the application you recieved an offer? Thank you in advance! :-)
Original post by goa16

I submitted Jan 15th, and heard last week... I think the departments are releasing application decisions at different times though. I had an almost immediate rejection from Southampton (not my first choice - but hurt anyway :tongue: ) and am still waiting on Leicester, Manchester (Uni of) and Leeds (who have asked me to do another application!). where all have you applied?
Original post by it'skatherine
Hi, guys! I submitted my application to Durham University a couple of days ago for the programme Medicine with Foundation. How long after you submitted the application you recieved an offer? Thank you in advance! :-)

If you only submitted it a couple of days ago you must have been past the deadline, which means they dont have to consider your application and if they do you might not hear for a long time, unless you had special permission? If you get in we will be together for the first year as phamacy and medcine students take the same foundation courses :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
If you only submitted it a couple of days ago you must have been past the deadline, which means they dont have to consider your application and if they do you might not hear for a long time, unless you had special permission? If you get in we will be together for the first year as phamacy and medcine students take the same foundation courses :smile:

I submitted my application after the deadline indeed but I have received a confirmation email saying that my application is going to be considered and examined. How many days after the application did you receive the email saying you got in?
Original post by it'skatherine
I submitted my application after the deadline indeed but I have received a confirmation email saying that my application is going to be considered and examined. How many days after the application did you receive the email saying you got in?

3 weeks but I would expect you will have to wait a lot longer and you have to interview for medcine before you can have an offer. Good Luck.
Reply 13
I have received an unconditional offer for the pharmacy with a Foundation year. At the moment I have not decided if I will accept it as its a very big move for me from London. I am 39.
Original post by Declare
I have received an unconditional offer for the pharmacy with a Foundation year. At the moment I have not decided if I will accept it as its a very big move for me from London. I am 39.

Oh! that's so exciting :smile: where else have you applied and received offers?
What worries you about the move?
Reply 15
No other offers at the moment .

Manchester - rejection
Keele - interview next week
Kingston - asked for my qualifications still waiting to hear
UAE - still waiting

I will have to move with my family so a bit daunting, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

What other offers do you have?
Original post by Declare
No other offers at the moment .

Manchester - rejection
Keele - interview next week
Kingston - asked for my qualifications still waiting to hear
UAE - still waiting

I will have to move with my family so a bit daunting, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

What other offers do you have?

I was rejected by Manchester too :biggrin: haha! Southampton also rejected me...

I've an offer from Leicester too, and still waiting for Leeds.

I think I'm going to firm Durham though. They have been the most helpful and friendly people, and the university itself is very good!

Is your family ok to move? Maybe a change in lifestyle will be a good thing :smile:

Good luck with yout decision!
I'm waiting on Durham. Applied after the deadline. Waiting is torturous. Got an interview with York but really want Durham! 25 and have been working in finance and tired of bumping my head on the glass ceiling...
Original post by leavingthecity
I'm waiting on Durham. Applied after the deadline. Waiting is torturous. Got an interview with York but really want Durham! 25 and have been working in finance and tired of bumping my head on the glass ceiling...

What did you apply for? Will you stay in college or private? :smile:
Original post by ClaireFad
What did you apply for? Will you stay in college or private? :smile:

Physics eeeeekkk! And applied to Collingwood, wanted a more modern college. I'm living just outside London at the mo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending