The Student Room Group

BAE National Security Academy

Hi all,

I am a recent mechanical engineering graduate that applied to this role among other opportunities, mainly in the engineering sector.

So recently I applied to this opportunity called BAE Systems National Security Academy. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link its page but a quick google search with the above will take you there. I also applied to a group called FDM. (Which after applying, I did a quick google and saw that many people are unhappy with them, especially with their contract.)

This led me to be very paranoid about this opportunity with BAE Systems (Even though they seem to be a respected company) as well. Somebody from QA Consulting (Who partnered with BAE for this) called me for an interview and eventually arranged a date for the assessment centre. I asked for more detailed information but I am still waiting for that e-mail since I sent it on a Friday evening. Also I want an outsider's opinion on this, as she may leave certain details out. I just don't want to fall into some trap, like some people felt like in FDM. I'm also very worried about not finding a job in the first year of graduating, since my grades weren't the best.

Would anyone would be willing to give me their opinion on this?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have passed the telephone interview too and have a assessment centre in Manchester
I have passed the telephone interview as well and going to Manchester in Feb. I received an email with some information but just where the assessment centre is and basically saying that you should be prepared to talk about your final year project, programming background and security sector or something! but will get some more information nearer the time of the assessment centre.
Hey yeah I've been invited to the assessment centre in Manchester too. I've only heard good things about BAE, so am looking forward to it.
There is also a test apparently which tests Java knowledge. How much Java have you guys done?
Haven't learnt any Java.. only know the basics of C++, C# and python haha hopefully it's not based on purely programming knowledge xD
I haven't done any Java, only a bit of C++ and some Python and C#.
Oh they didnt tell me the test was on Java, how did you find out?
Might do some Java on CodeAcademy just in case.
Reply 7
The test is a little more in depth than what is taught in codecademy and ask for definitions of certain things. They also test some OOP knowledge. I went to their assessment centre and I'm awaiting their call for their decision. They said they'd call within 48 hours (2 working days) but it's already 3pm and still have yet to hear from them. Not looking good for me.

I found out that the test would be on some Java so I studied the basics of Java from various sources. They also do an aptitude test which isn't that hard (Compared to online tests such as CEB SHL tests.)

Edit: I am fairly certain that they are aware of some candidates not knowing in depth coding. Don't worry too much about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Teh SoniC
The test is a little more in depth than what is taught in codecademy. They also test some OOP knowledge. I went to their assessment centre and are awaiting their call for their decision.

I found out that the test would be on some Java so I studied the basics of Java from various sources. They also do an aptitude test which isn't that hard (Compared to online tests such as CEB SHL tests.)

What is the structure of the assessment centre day ?

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Legend1349
What is the structure of the assessment centre day ?

Thanks

Involves the tests, technical interview and group exercise.
Involves the tests, technical interview and group exercise.

Thanks for that information and good luck with your application.

Just wondering, roughly how long was the interview and the test?

Thanks again
Reply 11
Original post by Hawkseeker
Thanks for that information and good luck with your application.

Just wondering, roughly how long was the interview and the test?

Thanks again

Thanks, to you too!

the test wasn't very long. We had to do a java based test and a quick aptitude test.
30Qs for java, and 20Qs for the aptitude. roughly 5Qs on numeracy, computing, reading and logic/picture puzzles.

The interview I'd say would be around 30mins-45mins. Depends on your answers and questions. They try to interview everybody during the group exercise so members of your group would leave one by one while doing the exercise. I think it's their first year doing this thing so it may seem a little rough because another candidate told me he felt the interview went fairly quick as they were running out of time. It felt organised enough to me.
Thanks, to you too!

the test wasn't very long. We had to do a java based test and a quick aptitude test.
30Qs for java, and 20Qs for the aptitude. roughly 5Qs on numeracy, computing, reading and logic/picture puzzles.

The interview I'd say would be around 30mins-45mins. Depends on your answers and questions. They try to interview everybody during the group exercise so members of your group would leave one by one while doing the exercise. I think it's their first year doing this thing so it may seem a little rough because another candidate told me he felt the interview went fairly quick as they were running out of time. It felt organised enough to me.

Thanks for giving us a heads up on what goes on.
The test is a little more in depth than what is taught in codecademy and ask for definitions of certain things. They also test some OOP knowledge. I went to their assessment centre and I'm awaiting their call for their decision. They said they'd call within 48 hours (2 working days) but it's already 3pm and still have yet to hear from them. Not looking good for me.

Edit: I am fairly certain that they are aware of some candidates not knowing in depth coding. Don't worry too much about it.

Thanks for your advice on it all. They tell you about what the contract is like. Obviously its a 2 year contract where you can't leave within that period. They mention where you would be based after training? Good luck btw.
Anyone pass the assessment centre day? Any advice? Cheers
Original post by Kensei123
Anyone pass the assessment centre day? Any advice? Cheers

I haven't heard back yet and its been over 48 hours... so not sure haha
Reply 16
I've not been successful unfortunately.

And yes, the role involves the highest level of DV clearance.

Best of luck, lozziepie!
Awh that sucks :frown:
Did they ring you to tell you that?
I'm not feeling very confident as its been over the time they said they would get back to us haha but thanks!
Reply 18
Original post by lozziepie92
Awh that sucks :frown:
Did they ring you to tell you that?
I'm not feeling very confident as its been over the time they said they would get back to us haha but thanks!

Hey man,

They e-mailed to me even though they told me they would call me regardless of the result.

Do you have any other plans? Maybe we can help each other out.
Hey man,

They e-mailed to me even though they told me they would call me regardless of the result.

Do you have any other plans? Maybe we can help each other out.

Yeah I just got an email today and was also told that they would call! oh well.

I have a potential interview elsewhere so I'm not too bothered :smile: what about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending