The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt 2016 Applicants - Ask us anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frankyelizabeth
Any news for chem Eng applicants??

Hi frankyelizabeth,

We have started making offers so you may have heard back already but if not I apologise and hopefully you will hear from the admissions team shortly. All I can say is hang on in there, we are considering lots of applications for Chem Eng applications.

Cheers,
Keir
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by nicktheo07
How long does it take in general to reply to offers?
I have been waiting for almost two weeks while I have already received an offer from Glasgow University.
I am have applied for the Software Engineering MSc.

Hi nicktheo07,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, the stock answer for PG offers is between 2-4 weeks. If you are worried about your application drop us an email with your information and we can check out what is happening with your application. The email address is: [email protected]

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by clockwork_orange
Hi! :smile:
I'm French, I just applied for the Translating and Interpreting MSc.
Do you know how long it will approximately take to receive an offer?

Hi Clockwork Orange

If you drop an email to the Postgraduate Admissions Team in the School of Management and Languages - [email protected] quoting your application reference number they'll be able to give you an update on your application.

Good luck :smile:
Offer for Chem Eng :biggrin:

Would it be possible to transfer to the MEng once I get there? Or possibly phone the uni up and ask them to change the course in the event that I mistakingly chose the wrong one?
Organised a tour around the campus because I'm visiting edinburgh for the first time on mid term, for if I ever receive my offer x_x
Original post by arch0wnz
Offer for Chem Eng :biggrin:

Would it be possible to transfer to the MEng once I get there? Or possibly phone the uni up and ask them to change the course in the event that I mistakingly chose the wrong one?

Students can transfer between the two up until 3rd year so that is no problem at all.

Congrats on the offer!!! :banana:

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by shaunaskelton
Organised a tour around the campus because I'm visiting edinburgh for the first time on mid term, for if I ever receive my offer x_x

Hi Shauna,

Just got the request in it will be me who is showing you round! Looking forward to meeting you over in sunny Edinburgh.

Cheers,
Keir
Can't wait!
Hi, I applied for the chemical engineering course at heriot watt, just wondering what the difference is between year 1 and year 2 as both are shown on the university website.
Hi, Was just wondering if there are any updates on mechanical engineering offers? Friends at school have had offers from other subjects but not mech eng?Thank you
I got a chem Eng offer for BBC
When does the university send applicant day invitations?
Reply 112
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi guys

I know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2016 UCAS applications, so here's a chance for you to ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.
From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away!
Cheers

Heriot-Watt Student Room Team (Keir, Sophie and Carole):dancing2:

I have received an offer and I'm thinking of making it my firm but i was wondering how easy/difficult it is to find a job near the university? Or would you need to travel into the city for work? Also, I heard that if you are 17 during fresher's week you don't get to take part in certain events, is this true? thank you in advance!!
Original post by emilyiris
Hi, I applied for the chemical engineering course at heriot watt, just wondering what the difference is between year 1 and year 2 as both are shown on the university website.

Hi Emilyiris,

The Scottish Education system is a 4 year programme so, year 2 entry is just an advanced entry option available to suitably qualified applicants. If you are coming in at year 2 (which we have a number of students doing each year) you will just be starting at an advanced level.

Every student is different so some choose to come in the year 2 so they can get their degree done in 3 years, but some students want to come into 1st year to feel the benefits of a broader degree.

Hope this has helped but if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Original post by megancraig18
Hi, Was just wondering if there are any updates on mechanical engineering offers? Friends at school have had offers from other subjects but not mech eng?Thank you

Sorry to hear you haven't heard anything yet. I have spoken to the department and they assure me that offers have started to go out so hopefully you will hear from us soon.

Good luck, and if you are worried about your applications please don't hesitate to get back in touch,

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by blessed107
I got a chem Eng offer for BBC

Brilliant! Congrats! :banana:

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by kkboyk
When does the university send applicant day invitations?

Invitations should be going out with the offers. So if you haven't heard anything or you are worried just get in touch with the admissions tutor for your specific subject area and they will give you all the details.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by lukdd5
I have received an offer and I'm thinking of making it my firm but i was wondering how easy/difficult it is to find a job near the university? Or would you need to travel into the city for work? Also, I heard that if you are 17 during fresher's week you don't get to take part in certain events, is this true? thank you in advance!!

Hi lukdd5,

Lots of our students get a job in the city (30 min bus journey away) but we have cafes/bars/shop all on campus and some students get a part time job there too. Plenty of stuff going on so not to worry about that. My office also offers ad hoc positions to Student Ambassadors that help out with ope day etc etc.

In terms of freshers week there are lots of stuff happening throughout the week. From zombie apocalypse to open mic nights and tours of the city. I was 17 during my freshers week and trust me there is still lots of things to do! You wont be alone in that situation.

Hope this has helped,
Cheers,
Keir
Reply 118
Invitations should be going out with the offers. So if you haven't heard anything or you are worried just get in touch with the admissions tutor for your specific subject area and they will give you all the details.

Cheers,
Keir

Hi,

I received my offer on the 8th of December and haven't heard anything about an applicant day, should i get in touch with the University? As I'm wanting visit before I decide on my firm.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Keir

Hi again,

I seemed to apply for 1st year entry. Is it possible to change to 2nd year entry now, or wait until results day?

Quick Reply

Latest