The Student Room Group

Why are ads for the royal navy, army and air force targeting women?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by AlwaysWatching
Simply not true.

entry standards are different, but everyone has to do things like the AFT within a certain time depending on corps, not sex.

Interesting article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9823312/Army-has-dropped-fitness-standards-to-allow-more-women-to-join.html

You should try reading more and the military has 'equality targets' now, so much for equal standards. The military has resorted to reducing standards for men aswell as women to recruit more women
Simply not true.

entry standards are different, but everyone has to do things like the AFT within a certain time depending on corps, not sex.

FFS, let's just end this argument already. You can just sum this up by saying, if women pass the same tests as men, I have no issues
Original post by Ali1302
Technology doesn't make up for strength and endurance unless you plan on building an army of synthetic robots.

Thats an incredibly simplified way of looking at things. Technology is clearly vital today. You can be a body builder, and you can have an army of them, but one missile in the right place, or even just a bullet, and your dead.
Reply 243
my point is that women should be allowed in all corps, if they can pass the tests to the same standard.

My point and the point of this whole thread is that it's not the same standard! I won't be able to reply in a while so don't go crazy while I'm gone.
Original post by sam2222
a bit late buddy, already got offers for chemical engineering :biggrin: but thx!

I did aero eng before I joined. Getting a degree and then joining up as an officer is much better anyway.
Kinda sad that our military is being degraded because of the need for equality. It's the infantry for god's sake. It's not a womanly thing
Original post by Ali1302
Interesting article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9823312/Army-has-dropped-fitness-standards-to-allow-more-women-to-join.html

You should try reading more and the military has 'equality targets' now, so much for equal standards. The military has resorted to reducing standards for men aswell as women to recruit more women

Oh look!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10917716/Army-has-dropped-fitness-standards-to-allow-more-women-to-join.html

Not so simple now is it? They've dropped them because of an increasingly obese society, not because of women
Original post by Drewski
I did aero eng before I joined. Getting a degree and then joining up as an officer is much better anyway.

interesting, I will definitely have a look!
Original post by Ali1302
My point and the point of this whole thread is that it's not the same standard! I won't be able to reply in a while so don't go crazy while I'm gone.

It's not the same standard, it's an equivalent standard.

I'm of the opinion that for women in the tooth arms - which they currently aren't in the UK armed forces - the standards should be the same as the men.

But to take that and suggest that women are less capable is incorrect. Physical fitness is only one small part of a military career, for a lot of jobs it's largely irrelevant, as long as you're not a heifer.
Original post by sam2222
interesting, I will definitely have a look!

And look at the UAS / UOTC / URNU while you're at uni, too. Best way to get a taster, completely impossible to be involved in any fighting, not a conflict with religious interests at all and will give you very useful insight.
Original post by cbreef
Kinda sad that our military is being degraded because of the need for equality. It's the infantry for god's sake. It's not a womanly thing

Are you in the infantry? No?

The military isn't being degraded because of "equality". Fitness is dropping, but not because of "equality" and/ or women.

I agree with your earlier post, if they can pass the test to the same standard as men in the teeth arms, they should be allowed to join.

they said the same about the "playstation generation" of kids born in the late 80s/ early 90s, in the early noughties (prior 2003) . Clearly not true when you look at the extraordinary circumstances and resolve of soldiers in afghan and Iraq. They were perceived as weak, but when they were put to the test they fought hard in the most intense conflict since ww2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
And look at the UAS / UOTC / URNU while you're at uni, too. Best way to get a taster, completely impossible to be involved in any fighting, not a conflict with religious interests at all and will give you very useful insight.

Great idea! This will look good on my CV.

The military isn't being degraded because of "equality". Fitness is dropping, but not because of "equality" and/ or women.

I agree with your earlier post, if they can pass the test to the same standard as men in the teeth arms, they should be allowed to join.

they said the same about the "playstation generation" of kids born in the late 80s/ early 90s, in the early noughties (prior 2003) . Clearly not true when you look at the extraordinary circumstances and resolve of soldiers in afghan and Iraq.

And about non-whites and homosexuals.
Original post by Drewski

Exactly.

If they can pass the test to the same standard, and prove that they are good at the jobs they do, I really dont see the problem?
Probably so the male soldiers can F them
Reply 255
Oh look!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10917716/Army-has-dropped-fitness-standards-to-allow-more-women-to-join.html

Not so simple now is it? They've dropped them because of an increasingly obese society, not because of women

Completely irrelevant and doesn't change the fact that there are lower standards for 'equality targets' that sounds very sexist against men if you ask me.
Reply 256
Original post by Drewski

This thread isn't about non-whites or homosexuals, it's clearly about gender differences. Stop changing the subject people.
Reply 257
Original post by JamesManc
Probably so the male soldiers can F them

Unfortunately for most male soldiers that isn't an option, that may boost military morale you know(People I'm just kidding and no sexual assault/harassment isn't something to joke about)
Original post by Ali1302
This thread isn't about non-whites or homosexuals, it's clearly about gender differences. Stop changing the subject people.

It's about an arbitrary difference that, in the vast majority of roles, has no effect - negative or otherwise - on the armed forces. Therefore it's a very relevant comment and serves to highlight how your arguments are largely pointless.
Reply 259

they said the same about the "playstation generation" of kids born in the late 80s/ early 90s, in the early noughties (prior 2003) . Clearly not true when you look at the extraordinary circumstances and resolve of soldiers in afghan and Iraq. They were perceived as weak, but when they were put to the test they fought hard in the most intense conflict since ww2.

Yet you have no problems with standards being lower for 'equality targets. Also, your example doesn't make sense in this context.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending