The Student Room Group

Can the Chinese super league compete with Europe?

Scroll to see replies

China are going to be a powerhouse in international football within the next 10 years now that they're taking it seriously like the Olympics.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
China are going to be a powerhouse in international football within the next 10 years now that they're taking it seriously like the Olympics.

Blowing loads of money on foreign imports doesn't mean they will have a top national team within just ten years. I'd expect a country like Mexico to become a powerhouse before China ever do.

And are they actually taking it seriously? Are they investing at grass roots level with the same enthusiasm?

I don't think their league or national team will ever surpass Europe. They might become top dogs in Asia or something.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Blowing loads of money on foreign imports doesn't mean they will have a top national team within just ten years. I'd expect a country like Mexico to become a powerhouse before China ever do.

And are they actually taking it seriously? Are they investing at grass roots level with the same enthusiasm?

I don't think their league or national team will ever surpass Europe. They might become top dogs in Asia or something.

It's not just to do with foreign imports. They're investing heavily in all areas, with the primary aim of making the national team a world force. I think I read that only three foreigners, plus one non-Chinese asian are allowed on the pitch for any team at one time and all goalkeepers must be Chinese, for some bizarre reason.

Not only that, academies have been springing up too. One club has been using the assistance of Real Madrid (don't know why they didn't use Barca considering the difference in youth development) in planning a football school that houses over 2000 students and 20+ Spanish coaches. A number of high up officicials have explicitly confirmed their commitment in transforming grassroot football in China.

Attendances and viewing figures are also continuously rising and therefore represents a growing enthusiasm.

But yeah like I said, when China decides they want something, they'll stop at nothing to achieve it.
Reply 23
Former Chelsea striker Gaël Kakuta moves to Hebei China Fortune.

He was at Sevilla, who have sold him for £5m.
Where's all the money coming from for all this? I'm pretty ignorant about it. Is it all state funded or something?
as a graveyard for washed up players, maybe.
This is horrible for Chinas national team. Not enough players will develop and get the chance. European teams will always be superior at football and it'll stay that way. Overspending on a few average players doesn't make it a good league.
Essentially, thanks to bloody EU our Premier League can't put British players first while still being attractive to foreign talent. Whereas China and the United states are able to maintain their national interests

P.s. I've seen Jiangsu's squad list and it appears that if the three-foreigner rule does exist: Ramires, Teixeira and Jo have just booted Sainsbury, Escudero and Sammir out of the team:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
Essentially, thanks to bloody EU our Premier League can't put British players firstwhile still being attractive to foreign talent. Whereas China and the United states are able to maintain their national interests

Which is a good thing. I want to see the best players in the world play against each other, not more ****ing Lingards and Cleverleys.

Original post by Everglow
Footballers in their prime like Teixera should feel embarrassed moving to a dud Chinese league. All they're showing is money comes first for them, not the game. I can understand the appeal of moving to LA or somewhere in the States when one is at the end of their career, but China? Really? Money-grabbing narcissists. Just watch Teixera and Ramires' careers flush down the drain now. Not that they'll care because of the extortionate amounts they're earning.

The Chinese obviously think they can just throw money at the world's top clubs and buy themselves a world-class league. Yeah, no - not gonna happen.

Ramires is 29 next month and he's won everything there is to win domestically, probably knows he won't get another top club in Europe to sign him so why not take the money.
I would watch Tom Cleverley every week if it meant seeing England win the World Cup tbh @sr90
Original post by BioStudentx
This is horrible for Chinas national team. Not enough players will develop and get the chance. European teams will always be superior at football and it'll stay that way. Overspending on a few average players doesn't make it a good league.

I think it could do the opposite. With all these big money signings interest will naturally increase, resulting in a higher participation in the game, which in turn, would most likely, lead to a better national team.
You'd also imagine that there'll be more funding given to the grass roots and development of players and coaches, again aiding the national team in the long term.
It's being reported that Ighalo turned down 300k p/w to play for a Chinese club, stating that he "will not sell his dream." Don't know how true that is, could just be Chinese whispers gone wrong..

I'm here all week.
Lavezzi is joining China now too
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Lavezzi is joining China now too

Makes sense since Di Maria pretty much stole his starting spot
There seems to be a lot of money there but the problem relative to Europe is China is a difficult place to live as a foreigner. It's not like moving to Madrid, Milan, Munich etc. Top footballers like to live glamorous lifestyles in European cities. Going to USA would be attractive if they were throwing the same kind of money around as the Chinese are, but China is not the same and many footballers will struggle to fit in.

I'm sure they will sign a lot of fairly well known players but will they be in for the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar etc?

Quick Reply

Latest