The Student Room Group

Travelling to Australia for 1 year but who with...

So I've come to the conclusion I need to live a little before I start settling down! Decided I'm going to apply for a years working visa in Australia but I'm stuck on who to go with. I have a good friend who's always there for me but is a bit of a loose cannon at times and sometimes I can't take him that serious. He's sex obsessed and can't talk to him about it without him dropping in somewhere about 'AUSSIE BIRDS'.

Whereas, the other option is the girl I recently broke up with (we've remained good friends). I'd feel so much easier going with her, but at the same time I'm worried it could be the wrong move. Both of them have family over there (alas in different location Perth and Melbourne) and have both been before.

Travelling alone is out the question. I wouldn't even make it on the flight.

Stuck as I don't want this to stop me from going..
Reply 1
Take the lad with you he sounds fun. And in the Big Cities there`s heaps of Backpackers so he should probably change his mating call to BACKPACKER BIRDS

Source: I live in Melbourne
Hi,

I'm doing the same! I'd say go solo. I haven't travelled alone but having travelled last year with three of my best friends I've realised I would be able to cope on my own.

Having said that, I loved travelling with three of my best friends but as they're all busy with uni/work and other commitments they're unable to travel this year and I didn't want to just not go because of that.

Not going to lie, I am really scared and nervous but having travelled before I met so many people, literally loads who were doing it alone and had met friends along the way. When you're out there many people are in the same situation so everyone (most!) people are so much more approachable and friendly, after a week or so it doesn't seem like they're complete strangers.

Saying that, if it's your first time travelling and as it is Australia it's pretty far so go with someone you can tolerate the most!
Only thing I'd say is, a friend travelled with one of her ex's and there was a jealousy issue when either of them got close to someone new and you will meet loads of different people so it can make the travel experience slightly awkward.
With your other friend, if he is slightly over the top, you'll meet so many others who are maybe more similar to you that shouldn't put you off :smile:
Reply 3
I'll go
Take me please
Original post by katef895
Hi,

I'm doing the same! I'd say go solo. I haven't travelled alone but having travelled last year with three of my best friends I've realised I would be able to cope on my own.

Having said that, I loved travelling with three of my best friends but as they're all busy with uni/work and other commitments they're unable to travel this year and I didn't want to just not go because of that.

Not going to lie, I am really scared and nervous but having travelled before I met so many people, literally loads who were doing it alone and had met friends along the way. When you're out there many people are in the same situation so everyone (most!) people are so much more approachable and friendly, after a week or so it doesn't seem like they're complete strangers.

Saying that, if it's your first time travelling and as it is Australia it's pretty far so go with someone you can tolerate the most!
Only thing I'd say is, a friend travelled with one of her ex's and there was a jealousy issue when either of them got close to someone new and you will meet loads of different people so it can make the travel experience slightly awkward.
With your other friend, if he is slightly over the top, you'll meet so many others who are maybe more similar to you that shouldn't put you off :smile:

Thanks for this. As much as I still remain attached to my ex I think going with her could be a bad move especially for such a long period of time. It'll be hard but balls to it!

Original post by SiminaM
I'll go
Take me please

Ok.

Quick Reply

Latest