The Student Room Group

Road to A*A*A*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Update:

I got distracted and forget to update!

I have arranged today my schedule for finishing the content of biology and chemistry in a sensible time and also looked up some of resources that would help me with understanding the content

I also started revising for topic 1 in unit 4 - biology( I know I should've done it before but I was kinda depressed so yeah here we go)

Hope I'll finish revising it well this week and start with topic 2 ( I know I am so late so I will try so hard to follow up )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

You'll do great, my friend!!

I made the silly mistake of choosing the BTEC option after getting similar GCSEs to yourself, because I had little motivation to do work in Year 12. That's bitten me in the back now, in Year 13, because I really want to do well but my Year 12 grades are going to hinder me. I'm so glad to hear that, despite what others say, you've done well in your AS Levels and, honestly, A2 is not a huge step up from AS. Keep putting in the effort, revise revise revise, and you'll succeed!!

Also, a quick word to the wise. Studying in the UK is a wonderful idea, but just because the university says you need (For example) AAA to get in, you can probably get in with AAB or even ABB, just so long as you prove how motivated your are in the subject you want to take. What do you want to take, anyway? :h:
Reply 22
Original post by PlayerBB
Hey! I know I am little late, but after reading many of the blogs, I decided to do my own to motivate myself.

My past
Well at GCSE i got A*AAAABB with an A* in Maths. Honestly at GCSE I was totally moving in the wrong direction, I had friends who didn't care about what results would they get so did I, until I have realized about 3 weeks before exams that I really want to study in the UK ( I am an international student) so I tried really hard in the last minute to cope with the subjects and ended up going to exams with just solving 3 past papers of each subject.

I was surprisingly impressed with my results and decided that I really have to work hard in year 12 so I did and got 3As at AS-Level in Chemistry, Maths and Biology

Now
so I started year 13 thinking I just have to cope with my teachers and do well as in AS but SURPRISINGLY I have found out that my school don't offer A2 chemistry and Biology anymore due to lack of students ( actually there were only two) so I decided that I have to study them on my own

I have also decided that I need to do A2 maths in January to relieve some of the stress, and since my Maths teacher refused to give any help, I taught it to myself and did it ( waiting for the result in March)

My classmates always criticized me and told me that this year I will feel how to get a U like, it has left a serious impact on myself so I want to prove to them and to myself that I am capable of doing it

I want to get 3A* because my parents don't have the capability to pay the full international fees + accommodation + living costs so I need to get 3A* to guarantee that my firm university will offer me a scholarship as it's really competent and so I can live my dream of studying in the UK and be proud of myself for a once.

I am so distracted and really scared that I won't achieve it so I made this blog to motivate me to follow my dream and not to give up!

You seem very motivated. I'm sure you'll reach your goals!
I wish you the best of luck! :h:
Reply 23
Original post by InfinitelyVixie

Spoiler

You'll do great, my friend!!

I made the silly mistake of choosing the BTEC option after getting similar GCSEs to yourself, because I had little motivation to do work in Year 12. That's bitten me in the back now, in Year 13, because I really want to do well but my Year 12 grades are going to hinder me. I'm so glad to hear that, despite what others say, you've done well in your AS Levels and, honestly, A2 is not a huge step up from AS. Keep putting in the effort, revise revise revise, and you'll succeed!!

Also, a quick word to the wise. Studying in the UK is a wonderful idea, but just because the university says you need (For example) AAA to get in, you can probably get in with AAB or even ABB, just so long as you prove how motivated your are in the subject you want to take. What do you want to take, anyway? :h:

Thank you so much mate, it really means a lot that you said that!! And yeah hope I will not quite and I will try my best and revise and put the effort!

Thank you and I wasn't aware of that. How can I prove to them that I am really motivated to the subject I want to study? And I want to study Pharmacy
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Psst.
You seem very motivated. I'm sure you'll reach your goals!
I wish you the best of luck! :h:

Thank you so much mate and hope I will :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much mate, it really means a lot that you said that!! And yeah hope I will not quite and I will try my best and revise and put the effort!

Thank you and I wasn't aware of that. How can I prove to them that I am really motivated to the subject I want to study? And I want to study Pharmacy
Posted from TSR Mobile

As you probably know, when you apply to university, you can submit a personal statement. You should definitely try to include things you've done, external research, volunteer or part-time work perhaps - anything that shows you've done a little above-and-beyond the expected amount of work, just as you've shown with your studies!
So, for example, as you want to study Pharmacy, you could try to be a volunteer at a local Pharmacy, or simply study medicine or Pharmaceutical practises by your own means.
In addition to that, once you get a 'conditional offer', you'll likely be invited to an interview. At the interviews they basically try to weed out the ones who don't really want to do the course against the ones who do - so if you can show how enthusiastic you are to the interviewer, they might give you a lower offer as they have to a few of my friends this year!
Reply 26
As you probably know, when you apply to university, you can submit a personal statement. You should definitely try to include things you've done, external research, volunteer or part-time work perhaps - anything that shows you've done a little above-and-beyond the expected amount of work, just as you've shown with your studies!
So, for example, as you want to study Pharmacy, you could try to be a volunteer at a local Pharmacy, or simply study medicine or Pharmaceutical practises by your own means.
In addition to that, once you get a 'conditional offer', you'll likely be invited to an interview. At the interviews they basically try to weed out the ones who don't really want to do the course against the ones who do - so if you can show how enthusiastic you are to the interviewer, they might give you a lower offer as they have to a few of my friends this year!

Ahh nice to know all of that!!
I have actually applied this year, and have included in my ps that I volunteered in a research centre and in a laboratory( hope that's enough)!!
Thank you so much for your kind help and for the interview tips :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Ahh nice to know all of that!!
I have actually applied this year, and have included in my ps that I volunteered in a research centre and in a laboratory( hope that's enough)!!
Thank you so much for your kind help and for the interview tips :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! I hope you do well and get your A*A*A*!
{Shia LaBeouf starts playing in the background}
JUST. DO IT :h:
Reply 28
No problem! I hope you do well and get your A*A*A*!
{Shia LaBeouf starts playing in the background}
JUST. DO IT :h:

:yy: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Update:
I have finished revising and making notes on topic 1 in unit 4 biology, so will solve some questions based on it and gonna start studying for topic 2 ( it seems daunting)
And I will also start today with topic 1 in unit 5 chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Woot! Good luck.
Reply 31
Original post by Zacken
Woot! Good luck.

Thank you mate!! :smile:
Reply 32
Update:
So on my schedule, I am supposed to finish Bacteria, Viruses and Bacterial growth curves.
I am still on Bacteria but almost finished it and going to start with viruses. I am late, so hope I am gonna be able to finish today's schedule goals

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Hey, how come I haven't seen this before? Subbing, definitely. :yep:
Reply 34
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Hey, how come I haven't seen this before? Subbing, definitely. :yep:

Heey! Lol I think because it's not that active, I am going to try to start to post on it everyday and YEAH certainly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Update:
I didn't do much today, I was so tired and couldn't focus at all, so I am going to start tomorrow with a new spirit and complete topic 1 in unit 5 chemistry and follow up on biology schedule

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Update:
Finished first topic of unit 5 chemistry, it was fairly good! I just have to go back to it later in the week as it has some bits which I need to go over!
Gonna start biology, hopefully will be finishing microbiology and antibiotics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Update:
Finished first topic of unit 5 chemistry, it was fairly good! I just have to go back to it later in the week as it has some bits which I need to go over!
Gonna start biology, hopefully will be finishing microbiology and antibiotics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was it redox or transition metals? I quite like redox :colondollar:
Reply 38
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Was it redox or transition metals? I quite like redox :colondollar:

It was redox and yeah same here :wink:, it's much more interesting than transition metals. I am not totally sure about fuel cells and lithium cells though haha but I need to go over these two later

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
It was redox and yeah same here :wink:, it's much more interesting than transition metals. I am not totally sure about fuel cells and lithium cells though haha but I need to go over these two later

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you take a look at this link, you'll see that physics and maths tutor uploaded a few topic wise questions recently along with their mark schemes. I'd say they're worth practising once you finish a chapter in case you don't want to exhaust past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending