The Student Room Group

Japanese at Leeds, Brookes, Newcastle, Manchester or Edinburgh?

Hello,

I'm going to be studying Japanese at University in September and am wondering which University I should attend. I have little previous knowledge of Japanese so I would like, if at all possible; a comparison between them. Does anyone know what its like to study at these institutions... what are the drop out rates for 1st years on the course, for example I've heard SOAS and Sheffield have a high amount of drop outs which partly influenced me in not applying as I want the course to be of a realistic level to ensure I pass. As I have not studied it in an academic setting before I have no clue what to expect so I could find myself finding it great at places or very difficult; so some insight from people who have studied there for example; would help me a lot! :biggrin: I guess my main question is, how many people pass the course who started, how difficult/realistic is the course and whats the dropout rate!

Any information regarding how the courses progress throughout the degree and success rates, dropout rates etc. would be greatly appriciated!!!!

Thank you! :
Original post by Fukuoka
Hello,

I'm going to be studying Japanese at University in September and am wondering which University I should attend. I have little previous knowledge of Japanese so I would like, if at all possible; a comparison between them. Does anyone know what its like to study at these institutions... what are the drop out rates for 1st years on the course, for example I've heard SOAS and Sheffield have a high amount of drop outs which partly influenced me in not applying as I want the course to be of a realistic level to ensure I pass. As I have not studied it in an academic setting before I have no clue what to expect so I could find myself finding it great at places or very difficult; so some insight from people who have studied there for example; would help me a lot! :biggrin: I guess my main question is, how many people pass the course who started, how difficult/realistic is the course and whats the dropout rate!

Any information regarding how the courses progress throughout the degree and success rates, dropout rates etc. would be greatly appriciated!!!!

Thank you! :

I do not study the language, but I do study a module from this degree at Brookes and it's very interesting. There's a lot of reading, but other than that, it isn't complicated or hard to get your head around. They do some very interesting modules in 2nd and 3rd year like Manga and Anime, Japanese Film, etc etc. I currently study the Japanese Culture and Society module and the module leader is such a great laugh. Very engaging and very current.

Only problem I say is that it is Oxford. Oxford is the most expensive city in England, so you might want to take that into consideration. But other than that, I've heard great things for the Japanese degree.
I'm a Japanese first-year at SOAS if you want any information on it! I know it's perhaps not your first choice but honestly it is manageable :smile:
The high dropout is more to do with the difficulty of the subject than anything.

I speak Japanese and applied for Japanese studies, and it's not an easy subject. If this is something you want to commit yourself to, then it shouldn't be a worry for you. If, on the other hand, you're worrying about dropout rates, then you should reconsider whether this is the course for you. No matter where you go, Japanese will be hard. Leeds and Edinburgh are the 'best' for Japanese out of the ones you've applied to, but they will be the most intense. I don't really know too much aobut Manchester or Brookes so can't comment.
Hey,

I did 1 semester of Japanese at Leeds. I left due to illness and I'm going back to do exactly the same course in 2016. I also have friends doing Japanese at Manchester and Sheffield.

Everyone I know doing Japanese says its really hard, intensive course, but worth it. I don't think it's nearly as hard as other degrees tbh, languages are pretty straight forward to learn.

At Leeds, we were given an A4 page of kanji to learn every few days or so (in the advanced class) and did a chapter of a textbook / lesson. Leeds is possibly a bit faster cause the year abroad is 2nd year instead of 3rd year. But then, my friend at Sheffield changed from beginner Japanese after Year 1 because she found it too difficult. And my mate at Manc (2nd year) says that most students are failing the advanced class because its far too difficult. So I kinda get the impression its just a hard course! But I reckon if you give it your all you can totally do it, loads of students manage it :smile:.

Anyway I chose Leeds because it has a much more interesting course, for me, compared to Manc, and I still think this is true. But I'm not so happy about doing the year abroad in year 2 - it seems like too much of a rush!

I think the most important part of your decision is which city you like the best. I wish I could go to Manc instead now, because it has better nightlife and generally a better atmosphere than Leeds - in my opinion.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending