The Student Room Group

Stay in MSci or do MSc at a better university?

Answered
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Steven2013
Hi everyone, I'm currently studying Physics and Applied Mathematics at QUB. I got the feeling recently that I want to study somewhere new and was wondering if dropping into the BSc and applying for a masters at Oxford would be a bad idea? I hope to leave the Bsc with a high 1st. My fear is that staying on the MSci would make me unhappy and could result in a lower overall classification.

This is something your tutor should be able to advise you on.

Oxford only offer a single MSc in Maths and Theoretical Physics (with 160 applicants for 5 places) so there isn't a very high chance of getting a place. One thing you would need to get an offer would be a brilliant reference from your current university.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/msc-mathematical-and-theoretical-physics
There are no places left for 2016 entry. The £10k PG loan will not cover the full fee and you wouldn't get any loan to cover living expenses.

You should be able to arrange your 3rd year so that you can decide whether to carry on to Yr 4 at the last minute or to take the BSc as an early exit award. That gives you time to apply elsewhere for MSc courses (Imperial is still open - although again the PG loan will only just cover the tuition fee with nothing left over to live on, as is Manchester and most other non Oxford universities).

Despite the new PG loan finding is still better for an MSci year.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
This is something your tutor should be able to advise you on.

Oxford only offer a single MSc in Maths and Theoretical Physics (with 160 applicants for 5 places) so there isn't a very high chance of getting a place. One thing you would need to get an offer would be a brilliant reference from your current university.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/msc-mathematical-and-theoretical-physics
There are no places left for 2016 entry. The £10k PG loan will not cover the full fee and you wouldn't get any loan to cover living expenses.

You should be able to arrange your 3rd year so that you can decide whether to carry on to Yr 4 at the last minute or to take the BSc as an early exit award. That gives you time to apply elsewhere for MSc courses (Imperial is still open - although again the PG loan will only just cover the tuition fee with nothing left over to live on, as is Manchester and most other non Oxford universities).

Despite the new PG loan finding is still better for an MSci year.

Thanks for the advise, even though competition is tough (less so for the mathematical modelling and scientific computing MSc but still bad) I feel as though a masters at a better university, be it Oxford or Cambridge etc. would put me in a better steed to apply for the InFoMM PHD at Oxford, which is my ultimate goal. I fear that an MSci from Queen's wouldn't cut it for that PHD program. Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm just trying to decide if leaving if worth the gamble =/. I mean I guess I could apply to multiple universities so that I should get at least one offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Msci is a glorified degree ... I would do a Bsc followed by an Msc
Original post by TeeEm
Msci is a glorified degree ... I would do a Bsc followed by an Msc

I think most people would if the funding were available. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the integrated masters courses were created in response to the fact that you could get 4 years of funding from student finance, and the complete lack of funding of postgraduate masters courses.

To the original poster, TeeEm is right ideally a BSc then MSc is ideal but you would need a way to ensure you have money for the fees and enough to actually live off. I think I remember reading this off Warwickshire website it was something along the lines of whilst a BSc and MSc is ideal route it is accepted that MSci/MMath is the new norm.
1) No University will be impressed by anyone who left a degree halfway through.

2) You have guaranteed funding via SF for your MSci year. For a postgrad MSc you will have to fight for funding (see point 1).

3) Having an MSc from Oxford, or anywhere else, is not a guarantee of an immediate job, or lifelong happiness.

Stick with the MSci - get some amazing vacation work experience, work hard for a First, and see where life takes you.
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
1) No University will be impressed by anyone who left a degree halfway through.

2) You have guaranteed funding via SF for your MSci year. For a postgrad MSc you will have to fight for funding (see point 1).

3) Having an MSc from Oxford, or anywhere else, is not a guarantee of an immediate job, or lifelong happiness.

Stick with the MSci - get some amazing vacation work experience, work hard for a First, and see where life takes you.

How will they have left the degree if they change their course from an MSci to a BSc and get the full degree?

Funding is an issue but aiming high and going for a masters at oxford is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I would not want to miss out.

Quick Reply

Latest