The Student Room Group

Computer Science graduates have the highest unemployment rate in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Cheers, of course you have no idea why or how it happened but using it as an ad hominem in your response is of course the best way to go about things

Anyway, you're clearly just a d-bag, I'm not wasting my time replying to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not an ad hominem at all. Your whole argument pivots on being a top graduate from a top university in CS. Even if we exclude your hiccup, it's still not fair to make the generalisation about CS in general.

Nonetheless, that's fine. I think I'm done here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Arsonist
They tend to prefer to hire maths and physics graduates who can program above CS graduates.

Seems you're quick to defend your choices on information from quora and the like that is now outdated.

Not really sure what people are talking about here. For a start a Computer science degree will get you first pick for these jobs over physics/maths grads, the majority of people I've worked with are comp science degree holders of course having any of those degrees will get you a shot at the job though. Secondly getting hired in a computer science job is easy if you have any projects under your belt and as soon as you have industry experience it's one of the easiest sectors to get a job in in the UK.

Thirdly if you specialize you find jobs even easier, I usually takes at least 6 months to replace someone for a role and the more specialized the role it can easily take years to find the person and many more for them to get up to scratch. Also by specializing, this is how you earn the six figure salaries, entirely normal in the realm of enterprise business software. LinkedIn is practically full of such offers and they will salivate at the mere mention of a native having these skills as a lot of the people vying for these jobs are not natural English speakers.

Outsourcing is not as much of a problem as it was 15 years ago and although outsourcing is increasing (slightly), it's still nothing compared to the projected growth of the industry and the number of mid-high level job openings that keep popping up. Everyone I work with gets at least 5 phonecalls (often more) from recruiters on their WORK line each week.
Try laughing when the reason behind it was out of your control; it'd be super hilarious then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I managed 6As at A-level as my parents went through a messy and acrimonious divorce, finished as the top student on the maths course with the second highest entry requirements in the country whilst living with the poverty and emotional/financial fall out of that. So whilst I'm sympathetic, the fact that you got to retake means you had/have more support than I've ever got. Plus you've been more than quick to judge in my case as to why 25k starting salaries just don't cut it.
Original post by CharlieGEM
Well I managed 6As at A-level as my parents went through a messy and acrimonious divorce, finished as the top student on the maths course with the second highest entry requirements in the country whilst living with the poverty and emotional/financial fall out of that. So whilst I'm sympathetic, the fact that you got to retake means you had/have more support than I've ever got. Plus you've been more than quick to judge in my case as to why 25k starting salaries just don't cut it.

A divorce is not what caused it.. But cheers for telling me your life story.

EDIT: Ok that sounded really bad, I'm sorry. Congrats on getting so far in life man, you've deserved every achievement you have gotten. I'm paying for my retake (even though, I shouldn't, I should actually be taking my school to court) by myself and have gone through more breakdowns this year than I can count. It just doesn't seem fair to pick something personal out without any prior knowledge of what caused it and stick it in an argument. You of course wouldn't like anyone to crap on your struggles, so why laugh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I wonder if low intellectual capacity counts as a factor beyond one's control.

I mean, some would still find it appropriate to laugh.

Please just bugger off already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wonder if low intellectual capacity counts as a factor beyond one's control.

I mean, some would still find it appropriate to laugh.

That's a bit harsh.
That's a bit harsh.

I'm just curious. He's making all this effort to let us know it was beyond his control but don't make any specifics. I wonder what they are.
A divorce is not what caused it.. But cheers for telling me your life story.

EDIT: Ok that sounded really bad, I'm sorry. Congrats on getting so far in life man, you've deserved every achievement you have gotten. I'm paying for my retake (even though, I shouldn't, I should actually be taking my school to court) by myself and have gone through more breakdowns this year than I can count. It just doesn't seem fair to pick something personal out without any prior knowledge of what caused it and stick it in an argument. You of course wouldn't like anyone to crap on your struggles, so why laugh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My apologies for laughing. No offence but given your posts I assumed I was dealing with someone older who had experience of the employment market. It is dangerous to offer advice when you don't have experience of what you are talking about. I may be wrong in my opinions but at least it comes from my perception of my experiences.

I wish you all the best with your studies. Instead of wasting your energy trying to take your school to court, why not teach yourself your highers? (I went to an underperforming FE college and taught myself my A-levels). I work as a tutor in maths, physics and I could probably do chemistry and biology as well. So if you are stuck with anything in these subjects feel free to PM me.
My apologies for laughing. No offence but given your posts I assumed I was dealing with someone older who had experience of the employment market. It is dangerous to offer advice when you don't have experience of what you are talking about. I may be wrong in my opinions but at least it comes from my perception of my experiences.

I wish you all the best with your studies. Instead of wasting your energy trying to take your school to court, why not teach yourself your highers? (I went to an underperforming FE college and taught myself my A-levels). I work as a tutor in maths, physics and I could probably do chemistry and biology as well. So if you are stuck with anything in these subjects feel free to PM me.

Yeah, I'm teaching myself A-levels (well, only one, I've covered Maths already) and paying for the extra tuition when I need it. Thanks for the offer.

I have some pretty close friends that have started jobs at tech companies (think: Google/Facebook) and I regurlarly speak to a senior engineer I've been networking with. My opinions aren't formed from thin air.
Yeah, I'm teaching myself A-levels (well, only one, I've covered Maths already) and paying for the extra tuition when I need it. Thanks for the offer.

I have some pretty close friends that have started jobs at tech companies (think: Google/Facebook) and I regurlarly speak to a senior engineer I've been networking with. My opinions aren't formed from thin air.

Have you physically worked with the senior engineer or did you just find the poor bloke online haha?

What do you mean, specifically, with the term, 'networking', just saying hello every now and then, or..?

:smile:
Original post by TrojanH
Have you physically worked with the senior engineer or did you just find the poor bloke online haha?

What do you mean, specifically, with the term, 'networking', just saying hello every now and then, or..?

:smile:

Met him when I was MIT for the startup accelerator programme. He was a mentor for my startup, so helped me out through the development stage of our product.

As in, a proper mentor relationship where we discuss about career advice, looking for opportunities as well as the trivial personal stuff.
Met him when I was MIT for the startup accelerator programme. He was a mentor for my startup, so helped me out through the development stage of our product.

As in, a proper mentor relationship where we discuss about career advice, looking for opportunities as well as the trivial personal stuff.

Sounds awesome man. Did you actually get to go MIT, or just an online thing?

I guess I already do that (networking). Through LinkedIn. Suppose' it doesn't count, because I haven't actually worked with any of them haha.
Original post by TrojanH
Sounds awesome man. Did you actually get to go MIT, or just an online thing?

I guess I already do that (networking). Through LinkedIn. Suppose' it doesn't count, because I haven't actually worked with any of them haha.

Yeah, it was very competitive (c.12% acceptance rate) and I spent 7 weeks on campus.

I'd focus on finding people you know of (either through parents/friends) first before venturing into Linkedin. But, really, you'll need to give these people a reason to speak to you - they're not always going to respond to a randomer.
Yeah, it was very competitive (c.12% acceptance rate) and I spent 7 weeks on campus.

I'd focus on finding people you know of (either through parents/friends) first before venturing into Linkedin. But, really, you'll need to give these people a reason to speak to you - they're not always going to respond to a randomer.

Yeah I know what you mean. I don't know why they've chosen to speak with a randomer, but I've talked to these guys a fair bit and they seem decent enough, so why not haha.

As for actual friends/family in careers I want to be in, no chance. That's why I've gotta look into these cool things, as you have done, with the startup programmes and whatnot.
As others have said, it's YOU who get the job, not your degree. The correlation between having a CS degree and not getting a job is just *******s.

As for 25k being a bad starter salary. Well. It's your starting salary. You won't get much more unless you work for a big consulting company or in banking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Speckle
I don't know that much, but to me it sounds like the personal projects are far more important than the degree. Is there a difference between a CS degree with personal projects and say a Maths degree with the same personal projects?

90% of jobs that ask for compsci will also take apps from maths grads
There seems to be a lot of opinions and generalisations here instead of actual factual and/or supported claims.
Original post by High Stakes
There seems to be a lot of opinions and generalisations here instead of actual factual and/or supported claims.

Thought that's what forums were about? If you like facts then according to some studies it is a fact computer science has one the worst employment rates of any degree. Why that is, universities or employers have little interest in finding out.
Thought that's what forums were about? If you like facts then according to some studies it is a fact computer science has one the worst employment rates of any degree. Why that is, universities or employers have little interest in finding out.

I think it has to be down to how Comp Sci is taught differently depending on the university. At some universities it's mathematical and theory-oriented whereas at others it's an IT degree focused on programming.
Reply 139
Original post by A Dev
I think engineering is an example where a very complex subject has seen a great drop in graduates taking those courses. Industry is now paying the price for the complacency of companies expecting a continual flow of talent without enough reward.

I started as an engineer years ago but soon realised that as part of that role I also needed to write software and yet I was being paid less than those at the same company who ONLY wrote software.

Word spreads, parents tell their children .. do not go there it is an underpaid discipline and very difficult work. Job satisfaction doesnt pay the bills or for holidays unfortunately.

So i moved to software and have worked as a permie, contractor and for consultancies so have experience of the different viewpoints of each type of role. Software development and support is now in danger of losing its supply of uk talent, there is plenty of evidence why Computing Science grads have the highest unemployment rate and it isnt due to their lack of enthusiasm it is due to market conditions.
Also it does not take too long to train a grad in a new tool if the company is willing to pay. UK IT graduates should not be expected to be at a high level of proficiency for an entry level role, training should be provided.
In my opinion IT is going the way of engineering in the uk soon with respect to uk graduates unless companies start employing them soon instead of recruiting from offshore. Unlike engineering however the IT industry will suffer less due to their alternative supply of profitable labour.
I have worked with an offshore developer in a small consultancy after his recruitment the directors tried to 'persuade' a uk developer with a family to feed to leave causing him to have a breakdown, needless to say I stook up for him absolutely deplorable behaviour. I have worked in a couple of medium size development houses as permie and contractor with a separate team of offshore developers working in a separate room. I have worked in a large company where the whole of our team of experienced developers were made redundant so the work could be moved to their offshore base.

There is a lot to be said about the satisfaction you can get from designing and producing software compared to another pen pushing job, however when the pay falls short of such less complex jobs and management have profits through wages in mind now in the uk it industry you can easily see the number of uk IT graduates falling over time.

Re highest unemployment rate of IT graduates..it is cheaper to hire offshore workers than train up graduates.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending