The Student Room Group

CIE Computer Science A level - anyone else studying for this?

Hi,

I'm currently self studying for this from the recently published coursebook.

Is anyone else studying towards this?
Original post by cosmicnet
Hi,

I'm currently self studying for this from the recently published coursebook.

Is anyone else studying towards this?

I am in Year 11 and I want to self-study CompSci but I am confused on what exam board to select.
I dont know much about CIE but do you require an external examination centre like for most boards to be entered as a self-studying private candidate.
Reply 2
Original post by Darshan98
I dont know much about CIE but do you require an external examination centre like for most boards to be entered as a self-studying private candidate.

I chose CIE as there was no coursework part. Just four exams. I believe that makes life easier for self study. I found a local examination centre in Bristol (3AT) that were able to offer me the exams.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cosmicnet
I chose CIE as there was no coursework part. Just three exams. I believe that makes life easier for self study. I found a local examination centre in Bristol (3AT) that were able to offer me the exams.

Thanks.
I looked at CIE Computer Science specification and really liked it. I just wanted to know if this qualification is harder than the same qualification provided by a different board, eg. OCR or AQA, if that makes sense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I've no idea how it compares to the others with regards to difficulty.
Hey I am in year 11 taking Cambridge international AS level computer science (9608). I am studying from the first official textbook published by Cambridge university press. I have to say I believe that the computer science specifications/ depth is a bit more compared to AQA etc..
I've decided to try this out as well under the CIE exam board. Many of my classmates discouraged me to take it since they believe that the CIE syllabus varies greatly from the others and other various reasons, but I think this appeals to me the most among other Computer-related CIE A-Level subjects and one that is available in my country.

How has it been going for y'all though? Do you regret taking it or are you genuinely intrigued and interested despite the workload? Would you recommend other, such as I, to take it as well?
I feel the CIE Comp Sci A Level is absolutely rubbish. Coursbook rants abaout one thing for pages and pages, revision book says another and you get asked something else in the exam. At my school we used ZAK notes and those were good but only for certain topics.
Original post by Isaac Caletrio
I feel the CIE Comp Sci A Level is absolutely rubbish. Coursbook rants abaout one thing for pages and pages, revision book says another and you get asked something else in the exam. At my school we used ZAK notes and those were good but only for certain topics.

yeah I feel the same sometimes too. How was paper 42 today?

Quick Reply

Latest