The Student Room Group

Refugees Go Clubbing In Russia, Harass Girls, Wake Up In Hospital The Next Morning.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oShahpo
Okay now you're being stupid. I lived in a North African country and I know how it is there. Rape IS taboo, the problem with rape is that often times nothing would happen to the criminal, unless the girl has a family that can fend for her.

So you're admitting there IS a problem, yet you go on to defend it and still ask for proof?
Seems like you yourself have witnessed the appalling lack of respect and care given towards the female victim (and also an appalling lack of condemnation and punishment of the criminal). It all depends on the family's ability to protect her?

How can you be OK with that?
What about an orphaned girl? Or a girl who comes from a family who aren't so well-equipped to fend for the girl? What even is it that equips a family to fend for the female - money, social status...what?

Please don't go out on a limb just to try to save face on an important matter like this. It's long overdue that the world is talking about this topic and addressing it for what it really is, stop protecting evil-doers just because you want to believe you lived in a nice, lovely country that has no major problem with sexual assaults and attitudes towards females.
Reply 61
Original post by sparkletoo
Very well done on this post!

Too many offended little kids on this website who come on here, guns blazing to defend their culture or country with no real idea of what they are talking about, and they start spouting off 'show me evidence'. Sometimes, things are widespread and well-known and like you said, undeniable.

With this kind of subject matter, most of the evidence will be anecdotal seen as the authorities don't recognise its importance. But here, the anecdotes aren't simply few and far between. For example, every lone female traveller who has been to a country like Egypt will come back and report to you the harassment she experienced from men. You only need to google 'female travelling alone to middle east' to hear precautionary tales. Even in this country, whenever I walk through an area saturated with ethnic minorities who live within mostly their own sub-communities, I get harassed. Same for my friends. Yes, I know there is a culture of cat-calling amongst builders (before anyone brings them up) but regardless, two wrongs don't make a right. A lot of men from these countries DO display some type of sexual deviance and/or lack of respect towards females and this has to have its roots somewhere.

Be careful, you can be accused of racism.

I remember when some girls made a video of them walking in the streets to show the common harassment they face. There were a video in Brussels and one in New York.
At first the videos made a big buzz on the Internet - especially from feminist groups, saying "see what we endure everyday!", then, when some people said that the overwhelming majority of harassers were from a few ethnic minorities, the buzz immediately stopped. I was banned from a site for having said that on 38 people who harassed the girl in Brussels, 35 or sth were Arab or Middle-Eastern.
Kudos to Russia for not taking crap from anyone. At least they have the balls to do something about refugees who try to molest their women.
Original post by Josb
Be careful, you can be accused of racism.

I remember when some girls made a video of them walking in the streets to show the common harassment they face. There were a video in Brussels and one in New York.
At first the videos made a big buzz on the Internet - especially from feminist groups, saying "see what we endure everyday!", then, when some people said that the overwhelming majority of harassers were from a few ethnic minorities, the buzz immediately stopped. I was banned from a site for having said that on 38 people who harassed the girl in Brussels, 35 or sth were Arab or Middle-Eastern.

I'm not surprised at all.
Anyway, the word racist now has become defunct in its everyday use. It gets thrown around anytime it possibly can when someone wants to shut you up on an important topic.

Besides, my heritage is Arab so no-one can accuse me of racism. :wink: I'm speaking up against the disgusting traits I've seen within my own culture (though a Pakistani guy once did call me racist against my own race..).
Serves them right .... you dont f*** with the russians
This is the sort of violent vigilantism, with a side of racial profiling, that edgy teenage boys on this forum prefer. Too many video games methinks.

I'll stick with civilisation and the rule of law thanks.
Original post by scrotgrot
This is the sort of violent vigilantism, with a side of racial profiling, that edgy teenage boys on this forum prefer. Too many video games methinks.

I'll stick with civilisation and the rule of law thanks.

It has been shown that video games actually reduce violence, so try again. Maybe those migrants should be given GTA and a map to the game's red light district or something.
(edited 8 years ago)
Besides, my heritage is Arab so no-one can accuse me of racism. :wink: I'm speaking up against the disgusting traits I've seen within my own culture (though a Pakistani guy once did call me racist against my own race..).

Yes, sure you're Arab. What a great way to try to avoid being seen as racist.
Original post by Umar Ishaaq
Yes, sure you're Arab. What a great way to try to avoid being seen as racist.

I'm 100% Arab. Born in Mosul, Iraq. You just don't like that I am a different type of female Arab then the one you would like to see/hear from. Nope. Not all of us are indoctrinated beyond reason :wink:

You might be able to get away with shushing the voices of non-Arab feminists with your cries of racism and Islamophobia but you can't with me and that probably annoys you - what, no other defence beyond 'racist!'..? Why not respond to the content matter rather than brushing it under the carpet (which is exactly how these sexual deviants have managed to get away with their attitudes for many years..because of people like you wanting to deflect, deflect, deflect from the issue at hand).
Original post by Josb
What an easy way to escape the subject. Rape is notoriously unreported in Arab countries because the police and authorities don't care about sexual violences. It's therefore impossible to "prove" it, since the stats are meaningless and journalists cannot speak about sex or rape, but the stories coming from there tell us everything, such as the rapes on Tahrir square, or "virginity" tests performed by the Egyptian army, or when raped women are jailed and lashed for indecent behaviour in Saudi Arabia, or when all these migrants coming from Arab countries pack together and assault random women, whether in Egypt or in Cologne.

You are ridiculous at denying the undeniable.

Are you too stupid to read my comment? I CONCEDED The fact that rape is prevalent in Arab countries. I know it from personal experience. What I am saying is ******** is that's its normal and that the Arab culture are fine with it. Rape is not something that's normal in Egypt. The virginity test thing caused a lot of uproar and was terminated. Rape and sexual harassment happens a lot in Egypt but that's not because we are okay with it, but because we have a class of people that is incredibly massive in numbers and unstoppable. They are not educated, they don't follow any rules and no one can stop them. They might constitute 5-10% of the country's population but NO ONE can stop them. We don't have a working security system and all the money goes into the army and not the police. Girls can't walk in the streets without being harassed. That's true, but that doesn't mean we're okay with it, it's because there is nothing we can do.

I have noticed here that a lot of people here are incredibly stupid when it comes to arguments. Asking someone to back up his argument with evidence is not escaping the subject, in fact, if there is no evidence, there is no subject in the first place. Simply googling "rape in the Middle East" will give you thousands of reports that show the issue, but I guess some people are too stupid to understand that by making a claim, they're responsible to show its truth and no one else has to even bother reading it until it's shown to be AT LEAST considerable.

You might as well believe that aliens have landed on Earth and we don't know about it because it's under-reported.
So you're admitting there IS a problem, yet you go on to defend it and still ask for proof?
Seems like you yourself have witnessed the appalling lack of respect and care given towards the female victim (and also an appalling lack of condemnation and punishment of the criminal). It all depends on the family's ability to protect her?

How can you be OK with that?
What about an orphaned girl? Or a girl who comes from a family who aren't so well-equipped to fend for the girl? What even is it that equips a family to fend for the female - money, social status...what?

Please don't go out on a limb just to try to save face on an important matter like this. It's long overdue that the world is talking about this topic and addressing it for what it really is, stop protecting evil-doers just because you want to believe you lived in a nice, lovely country that has no major problem with sexual assaults and attitudes towards females.

Your comment is a prime example of why everyone should learn philosophy;
Straw-manning my argument like a pigeon playing chess.

I conceded the fact that we have problems. I am not defending the situation. And I concede the fact that most Arab countries are **** anyways, not only from this perspective. I don't give a **** about saving face as I don't attach myself to those cultures anyway.
That being said, I deplore the way people are making claims without support. Making broad generalisations without any idea of what's true or not.
You missed the important point I was trying to make, which is that rape is not accepted culturally. If you read the comments here you'd think that a girl is raped in an Arab country, goes back home, has a shower and everyone's fine with it. That's not true. Rape is prevalent because there is nothing to stop people from doing it. Add on that the lack of education and the lack of moral backgrounds and you get the kind of **** that we have today.

Again, to make it simple since you guys don't know how to argue or even comprehend, I know there is a prevalence of rape in Arab countries and I am not okay with that or with how it's being dealt with. What I am arguing is the fact that I am not the only Arab who's not okay with it, and there is nothing we can do about it. Don't make broad generalisations saying it's okay for Arabs to rape because it isn't. The prevalence of an event does not mean it's generally acceptable, it could simply mean it's unstoppable which is the case there.
Original post by oShahpo
Your comment is a prime example of why everyone should learn philosophy;
Straw-manning my argument like a pigeon playing chess.

I conceded the fact that we have problems. I am not defending the situation. And I concede the fact that most Arab countries are **** anyways, not only from this perspective. I don't give a **** about saving face as I don't attach myself to those cultures anyway.
That being said, I deplore the way people are making claims without support. Making broad generalisations without any idea of what's true or not.
You missed the important point I was trying to make, which is that rape is not accepted culturally. If you read the comments here you'd think that a girl is raped in an Arab country, goes back home, has a shower and everyone's fine with it. That's not true. Rape is prevalent because there is nothing to stop people from doing it. Add on that the lack of education and the lack of moral backgrounds and you get the kind of **** that we have today.

Again, to make it simple since you guys don't know how to argue or even comprehend, I know there is a prevalence of rape in Arab countries and I am not okay with that or with how it's being dealt with. What I am arguing is the fact that I am not the only Arab who's not okay with it, and there is nothing we can do about it. Don't make broad generalisations saying it's okay for Arabs to rape because it isn't. The prevalence of an event does not mean it's generally acceptable, it could simply mean it's unstoppable which is the case there.

So....basically you're agreeing with everything we're saying to begin with?

'Don't make broad generalisations saying it's okay for Arabs to rape'

Who on earth said/says that?? No-one here has said any man - Arab or otherwise - is fair game to rape anyone else. We're saying exactly what you just said in your post - that in those countries, if someone DOES choose to rape, or sexually assault, or generally disrespect women in any form, it is mostly accepted because that is the cultural customs there. That's exactly what you said so what you're arguing against, I'm not entirely sure..
To everyone here, if you don't have evidence to support your argument, do us, by us I mean people with brains and education, a favour shove it up your arse. We didn't make scientific achievements using common knowledge.
If you think something is under-reported, show its under-reported and give us evidence to support your point view, else you're just following what others say like a sheep in the flock.
As for all the ********s who say rape in Arab countries is common knowledge and it's under-reported, you're too stupid to find evidence like this:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/egypt-rape-and-sexual-violence-perpetrated-by-security-forces-surges-under-el-sisis-regime-in-10260040.html
http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/rape-silence-sisi-s-egypt-rapes-its-citizens-make-them-toe-line-705146312
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/21/opinion/mona-eltahawy-egypts-sexual-violence.html
So....basically you're agreeing with everything we're saying to begin with?

'Don't make broad generalisations saying it's okay for Arabs to rape'

Who on earth said/says that?? No-one here has said any man - Arab or otherwise - is fair game to rape anyone else. We're saying exactly what you just said in your post - that in those countries, if someone DOES choose to rape, or sexually assault, or generally disrespect women in any form, it is mostly accepted because that is the cultural customs there. That's exactly what you said so what you're arguing against, I'm not entirely sure..

Our point of difference is this: You're saying it goes unreported or nothing happens because "It is mostly accepted because that is the cultural customs there". I am not agreeing with this, what I am saying is that it goes unreported and nothing happens because people can't do anything against the thugs who have the power to rape.
You see, pick any, any third world poor nation that has no security system or means of policing, and I will show you prevalent statistics of rape. I am arguing it's not because of certain cultural ideals that we can rape, but because of the lack of disciplinary power in the country.
I lived in Egypt and I tell that no one ever thought it was "Fine' to rape a girl. But, there is a major class of "chavs" who have nothing to stop them from doing it, and they do and no one can stop them. Not because people are fine with it, but because people can't even come near those thugs.
I bet Russia only sells white chocolate.

Spoiler

To OP, to be perfectly honest, the majority of Arabs don't deserve/ aren't fit to be in Europe. That might sound racist, but it's just that you can't force people to follow certain rules they have been breaking without consequence since they were born.
Original post by oShahpo
To OP, to be perfectly honest, the majority of Arabs don't deserve/ aren't fit to be in Europe. That might sound racist, but it's just that you can't force people to follow certain rules they have been breaking without consequence since they were born.

This, unfortunately, is true.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

So you think no woman in Russia has ever been raped or attacked by a Russian? Only immigrants?

What are you blabbering on about? When did anybody in the world say that? You're making things up again.

Look, I get your wider point that there are racists who've suddenly become verified Tumblr feminists as it now suits (given my distain of menimists etc I have some sympathy to that point) but you're embarrassing yourself with this "yeah cause no white men have ever raped someone before" nonsense. Have some integrity in your arguments please because there's no need to resort to that hysterical nonsense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by oShahpo

If you think something is under-reported, show its under-reported and give us evidence to support your point view

This is the most stupid sentence I have ever read.

You want us to provide evidence for something that hasn't been reported to prove that it is under reported?

It hasn't been reported! There is no evidence. That is the whole problem we are discussing. All you can go off is estimates and guess work.

If it were all reported then there would be the evidence to back it up and there wouldn't be an argument but the problem is that if a rape case goes unreported you just turn around and use your usual argument of "show me the evidence".

How about you go on a personal crusade to get every woman in any country who has ever been sexually assaulted to always report the crime even if the authorities don't care? Then we'll have the statistics and evidence to show you. Until then we all have to work off estimates and guess work.
It's funny seeing some of you lot talking about Russian defending of women like they're a place to aspire to in this regard lol. Obviously compared to the places these migrants tend to come from they're an improvement (cause I bet Pussy Riot would get left alone and tolerated in an Islamic country ;-) ) but have some perspective. Russia still sucks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending