The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
hey
anyone apply previously that can answer -
to pass the tests , in the practise ones did you get top marks before sitting the real one? or is the threshold usually quite low, so if you getting C (average) then that is good enough?

I havent practiced much and am getting average results, i want to know if i need to exert myself to be getting consistent As??! i understand that obvs the better you can get the better your result... just wondering
Original post by nech
how does that work? in the real test, if say the first few you answer correctly the system starts giving you harder questions??!?!
but then not everyone is sitting the same tests!!!

Yeah, seems weird, but it's what I hear, not from any official places mind, so could all be bs!!!
Reply 262
WOW. Now that was hard. I do NOT have the brain of Dr Spencer Reid. The whole time I was sitting there thinking "Reid would get this lickity split..."

Best of luck to all the rest of you. Work hard and don't let it faze you!

I just happen to suck v bad at tight maths Qs and sequencing shapes.
Reply 263
WOW. Now that was hard. I do NOT have the brain of Dr Spencer Reid. The whole time I was sitting there thinking "Reid would get this lickity split..."

Best of luck to all the rest of you. Work hard and don't let it faze you!

I just happen to suck v bad at tight maths Qs and sequencing shapes.
Original post by Nightwing_
Ha all, really sorry to ask this again, but I just wanted to be sure before I started writing the resonse to question 3 (Values and behaviours).

As there was no direct link to the the NHS constitution values and behaviours I found this site http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/about/Pages/nhscoreprinciples.aspx

Is this where other people got theirs from? More specifically are these the values that you aimed to demonstrate in your answer??

Working together for patients
Respect and dignity
Commitment to quality of care
Compassion
Improving lives
Everyone counts

Again sorry if this has already been covered or if it is actually really obvious somewhere and I'm just being dim!!

Hi well i was browsing and happened to come across a blog from manchester uni and they provided a link to the constitution : https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/480482/NHS_Constitution_WEB.pdf

hope that helps you and good luck
Original post by Superhellie
finally got the courage to do the tests today,

WOW.

i found the logic near impossible to figure out what was going on in about 70% of the questions

the numerical wasn't so hard, just the panic-inducing time limit really didn't help!!

how has everyone else found them?

I hated it!
I think the practice lulled me into a false sense of security because I was getting B's and A's in the practice tests and then everything went to hell when I did the real one!
I think I'll have to forget it for this year :frown:
Original post by gapyearstudent
I hated it!
I think the practice lulled me into a false sense of security because I was getting B's and A's in the practice tests and then everything went to hell when I did the real one!
I think I'll have to forget it for this year :frown:

I'm sure it is ok, I doubt the tests are the main way they sift. It's probably only if you do really badly on them that you don't get through.
Don't worry me too, my tests went awful after about consistent A's on about 30 (no lie) different practice tests. I'm absolutely gutted :frown:
Reply 268
Has anyone heard anything back after taking the tests? (besides the confirmation email)...I know last year people got their results after the deadline, but the year before some, who took the tests early on, got long listed/rejected before the deadline...so apparently they change the system quite often and...oh well, I just wanna know whether I've passed...And those email reminders that the deadline is approaching are so annoying, my heart skips a beat every time (twice so far) I get an email from Oriel...and then it says please ignore bla bla bla...
Just a confirmation email, nothing about being longlisted or rejected yet. I just want to know :frown: not holding out much hope though
Does anyone received some actual confirmation e-mail after completing the test (tests)? I've just got application confirmation e-mails. After completing test their status on Oriel has changed to "Completed" and that is it. Anyone has something more?
Original post by greendragonfly
Does anyone received some actual confirmation e-mail after completing the test (tests)? I've just got application confirmation e-mails. After completing test their status on Oriel has changed to "Completed" and that is it. Anyone has something more?

Yes I definitely got a confirmation email, along with the status saying "completed" on oriel.
Hmm I wonder why is that. They definitely must came through as their status is "Completed" on Oriel. First one I have done 2 weeks ago and second one today. No confirmation whatsoever. I have received all reminders and other confirmations from Oriel so surely they have correct e-mail address... Anyone else with no e-mail confirmation after completing tests?
Original post by greendragonfly
Hmm I wonder why is that. They definitely must came through as their status is "Completed" on Oriel. First one I have done 2 weeks ago and second one today. No confirmation whatsoever. I have received all reminders and other confirmations from Oriel so surely they have correct e-mail address... Anyone else with no e-mail confirmation after completing tests?

Probably just a quirk of their systems?...have you checked your spam folder?
Original post by Icandoscience
Probably just a quirk of their systems?...have you checked your spam folder?

Yes I did, nothing there as well. I am sure it is nothing important as Oriel confirms it is ok. But I would feel much better if anyone else had similar experience with that...
My brain is frazzled after re-learning how to solve problems with weighted averages, percentages, ratios, etc. It's easy to see how information in tables can be overwhelming. I remember someone on here saying the economic terms were confusing, but I'm hoping the maths itself is quite simple, and I can work it out in time! Although everyone despairing on here isn't giving me much hope :frown:
Hey guys. Could someone tell me if you don't submit your answer before the time runs out on the online tests but you've got a answer selected. Is that answer your choice or does no answer be given to that question because you haven't submitted it?
Reply 277
Original post by Sunny2222
Hey guys. Could someone tell me if you don't submit your answer before the time runs out on the online tests but you've got a answer selected. Is that answer your choice or does no answer be given to that question because you haven't submitted it?

If you haven't pressed submit when you run out of time it will automatically submit whatever answer you have selected
Original post by librarygirl
My brain is frazzled after re-learning how to solve problems with weighted averages, percentages, ratios, etc. It's easy to see how information in tables can be overwhelming. I remember someone on here saying the economic terms were confusing, but I'm hoping the maths itself is quite simple, and I can work it out in time! Although everyone despairing on here isn't giving me much hope :frown:

Please don't get yourself stressed. I must add though my test had no economic terms on it whatsoever...I think the tests are a bit random. I'm sure you'll be fine!
Reply 279
so everyone is sitting different tests? i dont get the system

Quick Reply

Latest