The Student Room Group

Btec l3 extended diploma in computing has exams?????

I want to do a btec level 3 extended diploma in computing/IT alongside maths a level and was under the impression that btecs are 100% coursework based. However the college I want to go to that does the btec has some exams as part of the assessment. I just want to know how difficult are these exams, will I be able to handle the work load alongside a maths a level and should I try find another college that does it all as only coursework?
Please help, I'd really appreciate it! :smile:
(The exam board for the btec is Pearson btw)
Reply 1
Original post by Axlerod
I want to do a btec level 3 extended diploma in computing/IT alongside maths a level and was under the impression that btecs are 100% coursework based. However the college I want to go to that does the btec has some exams as part of the assessment. I just want to know how difficult are these exams, will I be able to handle the work load alongside a maths a level and should I try find another college that does it all as only coursework?
Please help, I'd really appreciate it! :smile:
(The exam board for the btec is Pearson btw)

I believe that its new this year, you will still have to learn the same amount of content as the old specification so I wouldnt worry too much

I had a few exams on my BTEC in IT/Computing and all they were used for was to quickley assess if you had a strong enough understanding of the criteria which would, in most cases be assessed by C/W
Reply 2
Original post by yt7777
I believe that its new this year, you will still have to learn the same amount of content as the old specification so I wouldnt worry too much

I had a few exams on my BTEC in IT/Computing and all they were used for was to quickley assess if you had a strong enough understanding of the criteria which would, in most cases be assessed by C/W

Well I've found two colleges, the one I want to go to has the exams and the other one is full coursework. Which would you recommend I have a more chance of hitting all distinctions in?
Reply 3
Original post by Axlerod
Well I've found two colleges, the one I want to go to has the exams and the other one is full coursework. Which would you recommend I have a more chance of hitting all distinctions in?

It depends on what you prefer

you have to learn the same content anyway, I got D*D*D* in mine and each of my units totalled around 10,000 words and it was a lot of work so in that sense having a few exams might not be too bad, however, I learnt so much from actually doing the coursework because in a way you get a bit more freedom in terms of what you research and write about and the extra reading that I was doing while working towards getting the criteria was really useful
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
It depends on what you prefer

you have to learn the same content anyway, I got D*D*D* in mine and each of my units totalled around 10,000 words and it was a lot of work so in that sense having a few exams might not be too bad, however, I learnt so much from actually doing the coursework because in a way you get a bit more freedom in terms of what you research and write about and the extra reading that I was doing while working towards getting the criteria was really useful

The one thing that's playing on my mind atm is with coursework if it's not up to scratch I think you can improve on it, I'm guessing that's not the same with the exams? Wouldn't wanna resit another year 😦
Reply 5
Original post by Axlerod
The one thing that's playing on my mind atm is with coursework if it's not up to scratch I think you can improve on it, I'm guessing that's not the same with the exams? Wouldn't wanna resit another year 😦

I think the regulations on CW resubmissions have changed too so i dont think you should be even allowed to resubmit that
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777
I think the regulations on CW resubmissions have changed too so i dont think you should be even allowed to resubmit that

This is the course structure on the college website
Unit 1 Principles of Computer Science: Examination
Unit 2 Planning and Management of Computer Projects: Examination
Unit 3 Building Computer Systems: Coursework
Unit 4 IT Systems Security: Coursework

And this is a link to a sample examination
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/computing/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/Sample-assessment-material-Unit-1-Principles-Of-Computer-Science.pdf

Is this something you would've able to do when you were at college and is any of this similar to when you did your course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending