The Student Room Group

An inspector calls help

How do you plan/approach the question in the exam???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ameenatariq

I did Inspector Calls for GCSE, so I may be able to help if you're doing the same course. What do you mean, though? Do you already know the exam question??
Original post by whydocowsfall
I did Inspector Calls for GCSE, so I may be able to help if you're doing the same course. What do you mean, though? Do you already know the exam question??

It's GCSE AQA English literature, no I mean how to approach any question. Like how to structure and how many paragraphs to write, what to include etc
Pray they don't ask a question on Edna.
Reply 4
What worked for me was just bullet points of main ideas (you should make sure you have something substantial to say on all the characters and all the themes that come up), in some order, to stop it getting crazy disorganised, then fleshing things out when I went along. Organise everything in terms of point, evidence (quotes, learn lots of them), explain (what is the author's intention). Also might be useful to organise things by assessment objectives, so maybe assigning things like specific historical context to each of your main points (depends on exam board and what is being assessed in the particular question)
what to include depends on the question. If it is on a character, you can talk about how that character is relevant to the themes and what point Priestley is trying to make with them, if it is on a theme, you can talk about how different characters/sections display that theme and the point behind the theme..
(edited 8 years ago)
irrelevant but they asked us about eva our year we were all f*cked because everybody was 100% sure we would get asked about mr birling. How fun :smile:)))
It's GCSE AQA English literature, no I mean how to approach any question. Like how to structure and how many paragraphs to write, what to include etc

Well, the most important thing is to make sure you have a conclusion in there. If you're almost out of time then dedicate the last couple of minutes to making sure you have one because it'll help you so much more than one last rushed point. Even if the conclusion is rushed too!

Other than that try and write a very quick introduction if you need one (although this is the least important part, and I think in some questions not needed at all - ask your teachers), and do a paragraph per point. Just get in as many paragraphs as you can manage in the time, so don't worry too much about counting.

And you may have heard this before, but make sure each paragraph has a point, evidence and an explanation. Make your point, put in a quote that backs it up, and then explain why the quote backs it up.

Just to back up the PEE approach. Here is an example:

Introduction (about 1-3 minutes)
I always like to say J.B Priestley uses *character* of an archetype of XYZ. Or, if it's a theme question, do a little introduction. If you don't want to use the archetypal route, just describe what the character is described as in the stage directions at the start.

P - We get the impression that Gerald is manipulative. .
E - because "(approaching her)" he says "now listen darling"
E - This may imply that he is using his social class in order to manipulate her so that he can get his own way - he doesn't want anybody to find out about why he knows Daisy Renton - and it seems as he thinks he is the more dominant partner in the relationship.

Do as many of these in the time limit.

A summary/conclusion (1-3 minutes)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
What worked for me was just bullet points of main ideas (you should make sure you have something substantial to say on all the characters and all the themes that come up), in some order, to stop it getting crazy disorganised, then fleshing things out when I went along. Organise everything in terms of point, evidence (quotes, learn lots of them), explain (what is the author's intention). Also might be useful to organise things by assessment objectives, so maybe assigning things like specific historical context to each of your main points (depends on exam board and what is being assessed in the particular question)
what to include depends on the question. If it is on a character, you can talk about how that character is relevant to the themes and what point Priestley is trying to make with them, if it is on a theme, you can talk about how different characters/sections display that theme and the point behind the theme..

thank you so much!!! and i didn't know you had to learn the quotes i thought the text would be provided?
Original post by honeylooloo
irrelevant but they asked us about eva our year we were all f*cked because everybody was 100% sure we would get asked about mr birling. How fun :smile:)))

oh, was this june 2015?
Original post by danielwinstanley
Just to back up the PEE approach. Here is an example:

Introduction (about 1-3 minutes)
I always like to say J.B Priestley uses *character* of an archetype of XYZ. Or, if it's a theme question, do a little introduction. If you don't want to use the archetypal route, just describe what the character is described as in the stage directions at the start.

P - We get the impression that Gerald is manipulative. .
E - because "(approaching her)" he says "now listen darling"
E - This may imply that he is using his social class in order to manipulate her so that he can get his own way - he doesn't want anybody to find out about why he knows Daisy Renton - and it seems as he thinks he is the more dominant partner in the relationship.

Do as many of these in the time limit.

A summary/conclusion (1-3 minutes)

thank you so much!!!
[QUOTE=ameenatariq;62555743]thank you so much!!!

And yes you have to remember the quotes as there is no text provided.
Reply 13
thank you so much!!! and i didn't know you had to learn the quotes i thought the text would be provided?

Sorry this depends on the board, if you've been told the text is provided then it is provided
Reply 14

I done aqa English lit last year and I recommend doing "PEEL" paragraphs about the character or topic they ask for. Also, talk about how certain characters represent types of society and criticise characters like Mrs birling. I got an A* in this part of English lit and it really worked
Original post by honeylooloo

Did that question ages ago in my year 10 EOY mock and wanted to shoot myself, so I feel sorry for you :redface:
(birling was in the 2015 paper)
how did it go in the end? :biggrin:
Original post by danielwinstanley
And yes you have to remember the quotes as there is no text provided.

all 4 texts are provided with AQA (although I think we are the last year where this is the case)
Original post by surina16
all 4 texts are provided with AQA (although I think we are the last year where this is the case)

yeah the exam board is AQA.
Original post by zaaraxo
I done aqa English lit last year and I recommend doing "PEEL" paragraphs about the character or topic they ask for. Also, talk about how certain characters represent types of society and criticise characters like Mrs birling. I got an A* in this part of English lit and it really worked

what does the L stand for? how is Mrs birling criticised? oh well done! im just aiming for an A in this part but A* would be :smile:)))
Original post by surina16
Did that question ages ago in my year 10 EOY mock and wanted to shoot myself, so I feel sorry for you :redface:
(birling was in the 2015 paper)
how did it go in the end? :biggrin:

which character or theme do you think its going to be this year?

Quick Reply

Latest