The Student Room Group

Have I chosen the wrong university subject?

Hi guys!

A bit of a background, a few months ago I was unsure about what I specifically wanted to study for university. Towards the end of making my decision, I was juggling between picking either zoology, ecology or biology. As I was undecided, I picked biology, as I adore the entire subject, but mainly because I saw it as the safe option.

Upon having received some offers to study biology at university (Hurrah!), I am beginning to doubt my decision, as I now am really leaning towards wanting to study zoology. I understand that having taken biology, I will have the option to take optional modules, but I was wondering to what extent will I be able to take on optional zoology modules?

I would really like to get involved with zoology modules, as well as zoology field trips - would I have this freedom when at university?

Oh, and the universities I have applied to:
The university of Leeds
The university of Sheffield
The university of Liveropol
The university of Birmingham
Bristol university.

Thanks for reading!
Have you tried emailing the schools to try to change your course?
Reply 2
Original post by jackien1
Have you tried emailing the schools to try to change your course?

I haven't! I guess I am too afraid to lose their interest. I was maybe hoping that I'd just be able to take on lots of zoology modules as part of the optional criteria.
Original post by LewisCapper
Hi guys!

A bit of a background, a few months ago I was unsure about what I specifically wanted to study for university. Towards the end of making my decision, I was juggling between picking either zoology, ecology or biology. As I was undecided, I picked biology, as I adore the entire subject, but mainly because I saw it as the safe option.

Upon having received some offers to study biology at university (Hurrah!), I am beginning to doubt my decision, as I now am really leaning towards wanting to study zoology. I understand that having taken biology, I will have the option to take optional modules, but I was wondering to what extent will I be able to take on optional zoology modules?

I would really like to get involved with zoology modules, as well as zoology field trips - would I have this freedom when at university?

The university of Leeds
Bristol university.

Thanks for reading!

Theyre virtually exactly the same course - look at the course content online. At Bristol the only difference between biology and zoology is you have to take one unit on plants as a biology student. However zoology students can take a module on plants if they want. It's similar at a number of unis.

Really not worth worrying about.
Reply 4
Original post by redferry
Theyre virtually exactly the same course - look at the course content online. At Bristol the only difference between biology and zoology is you have to take one unit on plants as a biology student. However zoology students can take a module on plants if they want. It's similar at a number of unis.

Really not worth worrying about.

Thank you for this information!

Appreciated :smile:
Hi guys!

The university of Leeds
Bristol university.

Thanks for reading!

Hey :h: I'm at Liverpool studying biological sciences and by doing biological sciences you can literally pick all zoology modules if you like. I think biological sciences is great because you can literally pick whatever module you like whereas the other programmes have a few compulsory ones. So I've mixed a lot of zoology and bioveterinary modules! :smile:

If you want the title of your degree to be Zoology, however, it will be perfectly possible for you to change :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Email the universities that have given you offers to ask them about changing to zoology. They might say no, in which case you can decide based on that knowledge, but they're not going to take away your offer or anything.
I haven't! I guess I am too afraid to lose their interest. I was maybe hoping that I'd just be able to take on lots of zoology modules as part of the optional criteria.

As @sweeneyrod says, if you really want to study Zoology then ask to switch - if you already have a Bio offer from the university it shouldn't jeopardise it.
Reply 8
Thank you all so much for your responses and advice!

Now I know how flexible biology is, I will stick with it and pick up lots of zoology modules as @Changing Skies suggested.

How exciting! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending