The Student Room Group

Calling all Londoners

Scroll to see replies

all the dogging areas

Spoiler

Original post by yaa just dunno
You clearly have never been outside London.:facepalm:

I don't even live in London. I'm not cool enough.
Original post by hezzlington
London city is approx 1 square mile. There are many cities that are more affordable and fun.

It was obvious (probably by the fact that the two places I mentioned are outside of it) that I was not referring to the City of London.
Original post by navarre
It was obvious (probably by the fact that the two places I mentioned are outside of it) that I was not referring to the City of London.

Obviously, yeah, but then I'd like to compare California to London. I know where I'd rather be.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I like London but for me it's not the greatest city. I much prefer cities like Madrid, Seville and Vienna.

I was only in Seville for a day, I wondered around, saw the stadium, but didn't know what else to do there. What did you get upto there?
Original post by hezzlington
Obviously, yeah, but then I'd like to compare California to London. I know where I'd rather be.

California is many things- beautiful, warm, huge, geographically diverse. I don't recall it ever being a city, mind.
Original post by AntiBabylonista
That is something always shocks me.

How close blocks of run down council flats and the slums in Tower Hamlets are to the financial centre where the building blocks much be literally worth hundreds of millions of pounds or at tube stations where huge glossy advertisements are sitting below disgusting, decrepit buildings.

This isn't really true. There are virtually no more run down flats ands finitely no slums in tower hamlets anymore. Ever since the olympics, the run down council flats have been replaced with new better ones and some of the better quality old ones still remain. It is definitely not disgusting or decrepit anymore. It is still poor but people still have a decent standard of living there.
Original post by SUPREME Gent
I prefer Raqqa and Mogadishu myself.

lol cant help but rep someone with the avi and username you have.
Original post by navarre
California is many things- beautiful, warm, huge, geographically diverse. I don't recall it ever being a city, mind.

No. I was thinking more Southern Cali anyway. I love urban environments, but nothing beats being near the sea/beaches. Waking up early in the morning with beautifully fresh fruit and warm weather, go out for a surf...

Ahhh....
Original post by Diabolus
lol cant help but rep someone with the avi and username you have.

Thank you, citizen.

-Tips.
Reply 110
Original post by Yellow 03
London rocks. The theatres, the exhibitions, the Tate, the Wellcome, the gorgeous South Bank, the pubs in Covent Garden, the streets of Soho, the legendary Bar Italia, the Serpentine at Hyde Park, Regent's Park, the coffee shops in Notting Hill, the work ethic, the economy, the professionalism, the fact that men (and women) will flirt with you like mad if you give them the green light. London is always evolving and nothing is ever static. Whatever your thing is, whether you are an artsy hippie, a high-flying banker and anything in between you will find your tribe in London.

You need to find a place to live first.

I looked at the rents yesterday, and... :lolwut: :afraid: :lolwut: :afraid:

£1,200 a month for a room in a shared flat? £1,400 of deposit? £400 of admin & bank fees?
:yikes:

So I told myself: "OK, I'll commute"
==>look at annual cards: £2,200 a year. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

==>Log out.
Original post by Josb
You need to find a place to live first.

I looked at the rents yesterday, and... :lolwut: :afraid: :lolwut: :afraid:

£1,200 a month for a room in a shared flat? £1,400 of deposit? £400 of admin & bank fees?
:yikes:

So I told myself: "OK, I'll commute"
==>look at annual cards: £2,200 a year. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

==>Log out.

Don't panic. :smile: You can find much cheaper places if you look a bit harder, and if you steer clear of agents - I have never paid an admin fee in my life for any property I rented, neither have many of my friends. Property is expensive but there are many opportunities, and many people who live in a shared flat at half the price you site above. You have to know where and how to look. For example, if you look to rent somewhere on the central line it will be way cheaper than if you look on the piccadilly line, etc. Unfortunately you can't avoid the deposit and the transport costs are a killer so it's better not to commute very far.

I thought you were going to be in Yorkshire though, rather than London? Feel free to give me a shout if not. :smile:
But I thought kensington & chelsea would totally be free of impurities brought in by immigrants? :lol:

I can't fathom your stupidity or trolling. It's always packed with foreigners/tourists here and who said anything about immigrants? We have people of all colours living here. Mostly Arabs and The French.
Original post by navarre
London the greatest city in the UK? You're being waaay too narrow in your thinking. London is the single best city on the face of the Earth. Full stop.

New York maybe comes close, but it doesn't beat it. London has history, and has proximity to Europe.

In terms of culture, it is the coolest place on Earth. It ticks literally every box for what makes a great city (education, health, diversity, politics, architecture, transport), and excels in all of them.

Show me a city that is better than London, and I'll show you a liar.

Love Christmas shopping down Oxford Street, or those wonderful warm evenings by the Thames in Greenwich especially.

The truth has been preached
LA > LDN

They are two separate things with so many differences between them. The only reason you're saying that is what you see on TV. Been to California as a whole with my mother and it's got great beaches and weather, but living there is different from taking a holiday. Prefer London anyway. Are you even a Londoner?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by queen-bee
Rush hour on the tube in London is the only thing I hate but I take taxis everywhere so doesn't effect me anymore
You and I live in different worlds...london taxi's...id sooner ring an ambulance to bring me around.

Dint let money get in the way of your dreams

Im thinking of moving there post graduation for a year or two...just for life experience..long term not a way in hell I could afford to live there.

maybe I should give Birmingham or Liverpool a go
Original post by trustmeimlying1
You and I live in different worlds...london taxi's...id sooner ring an ambulance to bring me around.

Im thinking of moving there post graduation for a year or two...just for life experience..long term not a way in hell I could afford to live there.

maybe I should give Birmingham or Liverpool a go

You should move here? I hear Birmingham is grim?... Do you really want to be living in a grim place?
You should move here? I hear Birmingham is grim?... Do you really want to be living in a grim place?

the buzz and and city itself is something beyond Il ever experience in Ireland.

but I like the simple things too. and money wise theres no future in london. its a temporary stop.

The smaller english cities must have something to offer.
Original post by SUPREME Gent
I prefer Raqqa and Mogadishu myself.

Stfu. People are dying everyday in those places and you're here to make sick little jokes. GTFO
Original post by WoodyMKC
...the staff looked proper Chinese, then opened their mouths and a proper cockney accent would come out...

Wot do u mean 'proper Chinese' ?! R u being RACIST ?!
Wot's wrong wid an East Asian speaking fluent English?! wud u bat an eyelid at an ethnic African or South Asian who can speak fluent English in London?! There! Why are u so racist?! Y do u assume all East Asians are Chinese!? Haven't u heard of other East Asian ethnicities apart from Chinese, such as Korean, Vietnamese...etc?! Do u also assume all ethnic Africans are Nigerians and all South Asians are Indians?! :angry: U need to stop being so RACIST n narrow-minded!

Quick Reply

Latest