The Student Room Group

UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A02
Hi, I just looked and it states that the olympiad is on the 10th March, but they say that for schools without a valid email, they won't return the challenge for 6 weeks. How does this work?

They post the results to schools but if the schools give them an e-mail address, they e-mail results in three weeks; our school gives an e-mail address
I can't say I did that well. First time doing it this year - let me tell you one thing, it didn't go well. A few lessons running up till the actual test we did a couple of past papers in my maths lesson. For each paper we circled the answers on the question sheet. So, on the day of the challenge I thought I would have some hope, but I wasn't feeling too good. Anyway, I filled out my name on the answer sheet and got straight to work. I think I worked out the answers for the majority of the questions, but when I came to actually writing the answers down on the sheet I circled the answers on the question paper for some reason, like in my maths lesson, and left the actual answer sheet blank. I handed in my paper hoping I did well until the next day when I found out I did it all wrong and I was supposed to put a line through the answer on the answer sheet instead of circling the answers on the question sheet. Now my maths teacher is making fun of me for getting zero because I put the answers on the wrong sheet. Plus, I didn't even fill my name out right, instead of putting a think line through each letter I put a cross instead. First time doing maths challenge, probably the last. Yay.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you guys think 94 would be enough to get into the Maclaurin Olympiad? I made a careless mistake in one of the questions from 16-25, so I'm really hoping that the boundary to get into Maclaurin will be lower this year.
Reply 343
I'm just hoping 84 will be OK for cayley. I did 2 practice papers before, and got 96 and 127, but on the day stress/nerves were pretty bad. I misread loads of questions, and got 2 wrong in the first five! Anyway, I did the JMO last year and got a book prize, so I could always enter myself into the Cayley as a discretionary candidate this year.
Original post by A02
I'm just hoping 84 will be OK for cayley. I did 2 practice papers before, and got 96 and 127, but on the day stress/nerves were pretty bad. I misread loads of questions, and got 2 wrong in the first five! Anyway, I did the JMO last year and got a book prize, so I could always enter myself into the Cayley as a discretionary candidate this year.
Same. I got roughly the same as you and I really want to get in too but I made some stupid mistakes and stress got the better of me. Fingers crossed the boundaries will be like last years. :smile:
Original post by BriannaTheBreeze
Same. I got roughly the same as you and I really want to get in too but I made some stupid mistakes and stress got the better of me. Fingers crossed the boundaries will be like last years. :smile:

Lol, let's just hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 346
Does anyone have the answers for 1-20?
Reply 347
They're online at the ukmt teacher resources page
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tangent16
Do you guys think 94 would be enough to get into the Maclaurin Olympiad? I made a careless mistake in one of the questions from 16-25, so I'm really hoping that the boundary to get into Maclaurin will be lower this year.

It's only been under 95 once
Original post by 123Master321
It's only been under 95 once

When was this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chittesh14

2005 see above spreadsheet
Reply 351
Will 71 be enough to get into the pink kangaroo?
Original post by DMK10
Will 71 be enough to get into the pink kangaroo?

depends whether it was harder or easier than last year's IMC
Looks like I got 130. Shame I can't tell a trapezium from a rhombus :colondollar:.
What do you think the Bronze, silver and gold boundaries would be?
Reply 355
Original post by JohnSmith19762
What do you think the Bronze, silver and gold boundaries would be?

Everyone has different opinions regarding whether it was harder or easier... I personally found it easier so I reckon 72 for a gold or something seems OK. I'll be well within if that's the case thankfully.
The UKMT requires more logic I need to get better in these things
Original post by JohnSmith19762
The UKMT requires more logic I need to get better in these things

Finally... I feel this is only for IMC though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the usual threshold for a bronze usually? (I found the paper tricky lol)
Original post by Parvati Patil
What's the usual threshold for a bronze usually? (I found the paper tricky lol)

I think it's in the 40s.
Is your username meant to be a Harry Potter reference?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending