The Student Room Group

What do you think of this petition?

This petition has gotten quite a lot of support, what do you think of it?

https://www.change.org/p/the-government-its-time-to-class-feminism-as-a-terrorist-group
If you believe in equality for men and women, you're a feminist.

If you use blogs and debate shows to talk about non-issues such as how men sit on a train, you're a moron.
Original post by MildredMalone

So if you believe in God then you must muslim?
Original post by DiddyDec
So if you believe in God then you must muslim?

Well, no.
Well, no.

Just because someone wants equality does not make them a feminist. There are different schools of thought that still believe in equality, much like religion.

To be a feminist one must subscribe to feminist theory which is underpinned by the belief in The Patriarchy. If you don't believe that such a thing exists you cannot be a feminist.

Kind of. Femenism is a political ideology that supports raising the rights of women to line up with those of men. This doesnt necessarily encompass raising the rights of men to line up with those of women.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Kind of. Femenism is a political ideology that supports raising the rights of women to line up with those of men. This doesnt necessarily encompass raising the rights of men to line up with those of women.

Original post by DiddyDec
Just because someone wants equality does not make them a feminist. There are different schools of thought that still believe in equality, much like religion.

To be a feminist one must subscribe to feminist theory which is underpinned by the belief in The Patriarchy. If you don't believe that such a thing exists you cannot be a feminist.

No.

feminism
ˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/Submit
noun
noun: feminism
the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

Look, I know you want feminism to be something it's not to suit your own political ideology, but lets not stray from the facts.
Original post by Bulbasaur
No.

feminism
ˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/Submit
noun

Look, I know you want feminism to be something it's not to suit your own political ideology, but lets not stray from the facts.

That's exactly what I just said....
Original post by Bulbasaur
No.

feminism
ˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/Submit
noun

A simplified definition of a complex issue does not prove anything.

But it does show one thing, it is about women's rights and women's rights alone. How is equality achieved by only focusing on one side?
Original post by Farm_Ecology
That's exactly what I just said....

Not quite. Your definition of it isn't quite gender equality, if one is unequal.
Not quite. Your definition of it isn't quite gender equality, if one is unequal.

Neither is the definition you gave either. We both gave definitions that made it clear that although the aim was equality, the ideology only focuses on improving conditions of one gender.
Well technically you can draw similarities between feminism and extremist terrorism.

They threaten violence against anyone who disagrees. (and on occasion carry it out)
They hold some extremely sexist beliefs.
They are backed by 'moderates' who lobby the government to take away free speech.
They send death threats to those who dissent.
They enjoy full government protection and support for their hatred.
They appear to have a monopoly on university talks/debates.
They are extremely focused on their feelings being hurt and see actual harm as justification.

But I hate petitions.

that's like saying "if you believe in equality for all races, you're a black nationalist" - the "FEM" in "feminism" was once legitimate because women had little rights, but now they have MORE rights than men!
To actually address the thread now, the petition is no better than what many feminists try to do, censorship.
Reply 14
Well, it's quite clearly a load of nonsense. Does anything more need to be said than that?

Quick Reply

Latest