The Student Room Group

Can I switch from MMU to MU after a year of University?

Can I switch from MMU to MU after a year of University?If it's possible, how difficult would it be?Hello. I'm a 26-year-old mature student who has almost finished an access course to law. I was always capable as a kid, but I had attitude problems. After 10 years of life kicking the crap out of me for my stupid mistakes, I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in law or law enforcement and decided to go back into education, and thus we end up where we are now... Up until recently I had my hear completely set on Manchester University. Law has quickly become a passion of mine and I have been charging at my goals head on and I have had all distinctions on my work which is great because MU wants 45 points at distinction for admittance. Until the other day when a presentation assignment landed me a merit which means that in the unlikely event I get in through clearance, I'm stuck with Manchester Metropolitan from whom I have received an offer that I am more than capable of achieving. I'll be honest, MMU is a party university. Its a place where you can have three years of fun before you begin your fun and eventful career in HR, call center work or hospitality. Fun, fun, fun. I haven't had an offer or a rejection from MU yet, but say for instance that I get rejected, would it be entirely possible that kicking MMU's ass in the first year, attaining all firsts in my assignments and exams and being a genrally exemplary student, would MU see me as wasted at MMU and give me a shot for the second year?I have read here that changing Universities is possible, but difficult.http://www.brightknowledge.org/knowledge-bank/education-pathways/studying-at-university/can-i-move-to-a-different-universityWhat do you think?Do I have a shot?
Reply 1
Original post by Hughey89
Can I switch from MMU to MU after a year of University?If it's possible, how difficult would it be?Hello. I'm a 26-year-old mature student who has almost finished an access course to law. I was always capable as a kid, but I had attitude problems. After 10 years of life kicking the crap out of me for my stupid mistakes, I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in law or law enforcement and decided to go back into education, and thus we end up where we are now... Up until recently I had my hear completely set on Manchester University. Law has quickly become a passion of mine and I have been charging at my goals head on and I have had all distinctions on my work which is great because MU wants 45 points at distinction for admittance. Until the other day when a presentation assignment landed me a merit which means that in the unlikely event I get in through clearance, I'm stuck with Manchester Metropolitan from whom I have received an offer that I am more than capable of achieving. I'll be honest, MMU is a party university. Its a place where you can have three years of fun before you begin your fun and eventful career in HR, call center work or hospitality. Fun, fun, fun. I haven't had an offer or a rejection from MU yet, but say for instance that I get rejected, would it be entirely possible that kicking MMU's ass in the first year, attaining all firsts in my assignments and exams and being a genrally exemplary student, would MU see me as wasted at MMU and give me a shot for the second year?I have read here that changing Universities is possible, but difficult.http://www.brightknowledge.org/knowledge-bank/education-pathways/studying-at-university/can-i-move-to-a-different-universityWhat do you think?Do I have a shot?

You would have to reapply through UCAS as far as I know. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it but @Carnationlilyrose, @claireestelle or @ByronicHero can help. :h:
Transferring into the second year is rare but technically possible. You need to ask Manchester's Law department whether they accept transfer students, and if they do, would MMU's first year Law modules meet their standards. However I would not advise anyone to go to a university with the intention of transferring out of it, you need to be 100% prepared to do your whole degree at MMU if you accept their offer because you probably won't be able to transfer.

For more information about the process of transferring, see this thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
why did you apply to a university you don't even want to go to? :facepalm2:
Manchester doesn't require straight distinctions - this is what it says on their website

"Humanities based Access course with 45 credits at level 3 including a minimum of 40 credits at distinction and 5 credits at merit. We additionally require 15 credits at level 2, including English Language and Maths"

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/09672/law-3-years-llb/entry-requirements/#alternativeEntryReq

So, if you do get an offer from UoM then you should be able to meet it.

However, if you did end up at MMU, then there's a lot of info on transferring here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34067849

Posted from TSR Mobile
My input has been rendered unnecessary by the input of the others, which I would echo, adding that universities are wise to the idea of people trading up through the back door, and would expect you to meet the entrance requirements of the rest of the students. It's hardly fair otherwise.
I'm rather late to the party so I'll just endorse the various posts above.
Reply 7
Well, my choices were (In order):

1, Manchester University (Law with Criminology)
2, Liverpool University (Law with Criminology)
3, Cardiff University (Law with Criminology)

And as arbitrary third choices, but on my tutor's advice:

4, Newcastle University (Law)
5, Manchester Metropolitan University (Law)

I was so goddamn certain I would get 45 at distinction instead of 39!!!

I completely understand about the 'trading up the back door,' and I'm not proud of it.

But if I just boss the first year, then technically I am proving that I'm MU stock, right?

I completely understand about the 'trading up the back door,' and I'm not proud of it.

But if I just boss the first year, then technically I am proving that I'm MU stock, right?

Not if the courses aren't compatible or the MU course is at capacity.

Don't commit to a degree that you would not be happy to complete.

But as Origami Bullets pointed out, Manchester does not require 45 credits at distinction... in fact for Law with Criminology they only ask for of 30 credits at distinction and 15 at merit. If you only messed up one assignment why are you so worried?
Reply 10
I guess I'm a little bit on edge.

I have read the website and I can't find where you're getting these distinction and merit stats from. But that's probably my own fault.

I haven't heard from them yet, so again, I'm just on edge. I really don't want to go to MMU which is the only place I have had an offer.
Reply 11
I keep being told by my college tutors that MU is 45 at distinction.

If they require 40 for law, then would 39 be a big deal?
I keep being told by my college tutors that MU is 45 at distinction.

If they require 40 for law, then would 39 be a big deal?

Call MU tomorrow 9am and ask them when they expect to make a decision about your application. Do the same for any of your other choices that you'd be happy with but haven't yet heard back yet.

Stressing about something that hasn't even happened yet is ridiculous.

If you don't want to go to MMU then don't go there. There are plenty of other options available to you even if your other 4 choices reject you other than accepting an offer for a course you don't want.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
My input has been rendered unnecessary by the input of the others, which I would echo, adding that universities are wise to the idea of people trading up through the back door, and would expect you to meet the entrance requirements of the rest of the students. It's hardly fair otherwise.

Hi can carnationlilyrose please help me and contact me ??
I have read the website and I can't find where you're getting these distinction and merit stats from. But that's probably my own fault.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/09673/law-with-criminology-3-years-llb/entry-requirements/#alternativeEntryReq

Choose Access to HE from the dropdown menu.
Reality check - you'll either find this offensive of you'll take it on board, but here goes:

Regardless of all of the technicalities of transferring universities I think it's right that someone says to you that you really ought to be careful of belittling a university that has offered you a place. Not all non Russell Group students are just about 'fun, fun, fun' and then getting a job in a call center. MMU is an excellent university for vocational degrees and if you did a bit of research into it you'd find that they're actually competitive in areas such as health science and education and there are a lot of serious students there who graduate with professional degrees and go on to have very good careers.

It just comes across as ungrateful and misinformed of you to insinuate that MMU is for students who just want to have a 3 year bender and who then end up in non-grad work. Since you don't have offers from highly ranked universities and haven't met their grade requirements I'm not sure why you should think you are of the caliber that a Russell Group uni would want - especially when they have hundreds of A-level applicants who didn't mess around for 10 years and who managed to achieve AAA first time, they are in a different league, quite frankly, and on paper it's obvious to admissions staff.

I say that as a mature student - same age as you - with an offer from MMU (different subject) which I am entirely grateful for. I also attended a Russel Group university and graduated with a 2.1 in another subject and believe me, just because somewhere ranks high doesn't mean it guarantees you anything, there are a lot more factors than the uni name on your degree certificate - life isn't as simple as having a Russell Group degree and walking straight into a great grad job. You make the most of the opportunities that you get and if you think you're 'better' than MMU then do better and prove it but you can still have a successful legal carer if you study at a non-RG (just don't expect magic circle) - just take a look at Linkedin profiles for non RG Law grads (you have to work very hard but Linkedin and other people's success demonstrates that it's possible). The burger flipping/shelf stacking/call center working uni grads are not specific to non-Russell groups and it has much less to do with the name of the uni on their degree certificate and a lot more to do with the economy/lack of work experience/lack of transferable skills and lack of career ideas.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending