The Student Room Group

Should I really do A level Maths?

I am predicted a C in GCSE Maths and think I can atleast get a B with more effort.. I also want to take Biology, Chemistry and Physics which I am predicted A's in. I enjoy the Sciences but hate the look of Maths. I really think I would fail the A level badly with a low grade.

Would not taking Maths affect my chances of getting into something like Medicine? I don't know what I want to do but want to keep my options open. I really want to take History predicted an A and love GCSE History to the fullest. Could I still get into something like Medicine with Biology, Chemistry, Physics and History? Would the top Universities (e.g. Imperial College of London) even consider me?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not a requirement to do A-level maths for medicine. To be honest though if you get a C or get only a B with a lot of effort then you will probably find it extremely difficult. I know people who got A's or A* at GCSE get E and U's at A-level. It's worth bearing this in mind when making your decision.

Hi guys, I recently had my mock exams for biology,chemistry and physics. I got a high B in all of them but I was very disappointed as I had revised really hard so I expected higher grades. Do you think I still have a chance of getting A*s in my final examinations? What am I doing wrong and has this happened to any of you? If so what did you get at the end?

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Original post by starstudent7

Hi guys, I recently had my mock exams for biology,chemistry and physics. I got a high B in all of them but I was very disappointed as I had revised really hard so I expected higher grades. Do you think I still have a chance of getting A*s in my final examinations? What am I doing wrong and has this happened to any of you? If so what did you get at the end?

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to find the right revision techniques for you. For sciences it is mostly exam technique so you need to make sure you do all the past papers you can lay your hands on. You can get the A*s :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
You need to find the right revision techniques for you. For sciences it is mostly exam technique so you need to make sure you do all the past papers you can lay your hands on. You can get the A*s :smile:

Thanks and do you suggest doing one paper each day?:smile:
Original post by starstudent7
Thanks and do you suggest doing one paper each day?:smile:

Do as many as you can but make sure you analyse what you are doing right/wrong or they're useless!
Thanks everyone for helping me become motivated again and I will use the methods that you all suggested for me!.:smile:
Please don't take offence but most sixth forms/colleges require an A at least at GCSE for maths to take it at A Level because it is meant to be so hard. I'm predicted an A* in maths and have considered it for A Level but it's scared me off because it seems such a big jump from GCSE, if you're on a grade C I just don't think it's the subject for you
Not at all. I talked to someone who studied medicine (she is a doctor now). She took Chemistry, Art, English and Biology (I think?)
You don't need maths for medicine. Since you hate maths, you shouldn't do it. It's not worth spending 2 years on something you don't like. Also, if you hate it then it will be harder for you to get a good grade. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by caitlinford3
Please don't take offence but most sixth forms/colleges require an A at least at GCSE for maths to take it at A Level because it is meant to be so hard. I'm predicted an A* in maths and have considered it for A Level but it's scared me off because it seems such a big jump from GCSE, if you're on a grade C I just don't think it's the subject for you

Please research your facts before making a comment, I have been offered a place at a sixth form college for a grade B and most colleges only require a B only like some places want A/A*. I am on a grade C because I never bloody studied it as I hated it and real effort could have got me a A*/A. I am predicted 3 A's in the Sciences but I actually love studying them.
Original post by Tinka99
Please research your facts before making a comment, I have been offered a place at a sixth form college for a grade B and most colleges only require a B only like some places want A/A*. I am on a grade C because I never bloody studied it as I hated it and real effort could have got me a A*/A. I am predicted 3 A's in the Sciences but I actually love studying them.

'Please research your facts...' girl I said and I quote 'MOST sixth forms/colleges require an A from GCSE Maths' I didn't once say all, because yes like you said the majority of sixth forms/colleges want a grade B in the subjects you want to study for A Level, but for subjects like maths, chemistry and physics alot of sixth forms/colleges require an A because they're hard A Levels, there's nothing I've said there that isn't factual or anything you need to get butthurt over. Also you just said 'I never bloody studied it as I hated it' so why you wanna take it further?

I am predicted A*-A in everything, whats that got to do with the price of bread that you're predicted A in science lmao??????????

over and out
First of all, you don't need maths to study medicine! The only subjects you need are Biology and Chemistry.

Also, that last comment, prestige does not matter for medicine. What matters is if the course is right for you, since they all are certified by the GMC, and they all take you to the exact same place!

For now, just work on getting mostly As and A*s, but do try to get an A in maths, I'm sure you can do it!
Reply 12
Original post by Tinka99
I am predicted a C in GCSE Maths and think I can atleast get a B with more effort.. I also want to take Biology, Chemistry and Physics which I am predicted A's in. I enjoy the Sciences but hate the look of Maths. I really think I would fail the A level badly with a low grade.

Would not taking Maths affect my chances of getting into something like Medicine? I don't know what I want to do but want to keep my options open. I really want to take History predicted an A and love GCSE History to the fullest. Could I still get into something like Medicine with Biology, Chemistry, Physics and History? Would the top Universities (e.g. Imperial College of London) even consider me?

my advice is not to do Maths
Original post by Tinka99

Don't do an A level you won't enjoy, you'll get nothing out of it.
Maths is handy in lots of subjects, and so is quite good to take in terms of keeping your options open. But there aren't many degree courses that require A-level maths to get on, only the obvious really mathsy ones (physics and engineering are the only ones that immediately come to mind), I don't think any universities have maths A-level as a requirement for doing medicine (you could look on a few unis' websites to see what their requirements are). If you get a good grade in A-level physics, that should show any universities that you're at least competent in maths.
Basically having a good grade in a not so directly relevant subject like history will help you you getting into uni much more than having a poor grade in maths.
Reply 14
Although maths is a highly regarded and respected A level which I'd recommend anyone to take, if you're predicted a C I can imagine you will struggle with it a lot. Also you suggested you don't enjoy it in which case the best answer is that you don't take it and study what you enjoy instead because you won't be motivated. It could still be possible for you to do well on the A level if you spent a lot of hours studying for it and got a maths tutor however in your case I'd say do what you enjoy which is clearly history.
Reply 15
'Please research your facts...' girl I said and I quote 'MOST sixth forms/colleges require an A from GCSE Maths' I didn't once say all, because yes like you said the majority of sixth forms/colleges want a grade B in the subjects you want to study for A Level, but for subjects like maths, chemistry and physics alot of sixth forms/colleges require an A because they're hard A Levels, there's nothing I've said there that isn't factual or anything you need to get butthurt over. Also you just said 'I never bloody studied it as I hated it' so why you wanna take it further?

I am predicted A*-A in everything, whats that got to do with the price of bread that you're predicted A in science lmao??????????

over and out

I agree with the fact that some sixth forms do want A's in the Science and Maths to take it at A level due to them being the toughest subjects. I have looked up a damn lot of sixth forms and most are only asking for B's for Maths
even do some state they prefer A*/A but will be ready to accept with B. Also for the Sciences most want a B only some want A*/A. I do not agree with the term "alot" because that "alot" is mostly only seen with the best sixth forms like grammar, top school sixth forms and the best sixth form colleges.

I was just stating the A's in Sciences because I also want to take them onto A level and was just trying to convey that my C is Maths is due to not doing any revision at all. I was trying to convey to you that I have the capability providing I put the effort in. A while ago I used to dislike Science and was a C/D student but after immense effort I am a A*/A student and now love Science. If you put the effort in it can really rise your grades even though you might be weak at it at a point.

I am predicted 5A's, 4B's and 1C(Maths) just stating as you decided to state yours.

My ambition is Medicine and started to believe I need Maths A level for Medicine due to misconceptions of other students at my school.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tinka99
I agree with the fact that some sixth forms do want A's in the Science and Maths to take it at A level due to them being the toughest subjects. I have looked up a damn lot of sixth forms and most are only asking for B's for Maths
even do some state they prefer A*/A but will be ready to accept with B. Also for the Sciences most want a B only some want A*/A. I do not agree with the term "alot" because that "alot" is mostly only seen with the best sixth forms like grammar, top school sixth forms and the best sixth form colleges.

I was just stating the A's in Sciences because I also want to take them onto A level and was just trying to convey that my C is Maths is due to not doing any revision at all. I was trying to convey to you that I have the capability providing I put the effort in. A while ago I used to dislike Science and was a C/D student but after immense effort I am a A*/A student and now love Science. If you put the effort in it can really rise your grades even though you might be weak at it at a point.

I am predicted 5A's, 4B's and 1C(Maths) just stating as you decided to state yours.

My ambition is Medicine and started to believe I need Maths A level for Medicine due to misconceptions of other students at my school.

Maybe my assumption of 'most' was because all the sixth forms I've applied to are top ones, (simply because I have high aims for university), but yes I'm glad you've come to terms with the idea some sixth forms/colleges want A*-A in maths and sciences. Ah I see. Good luck
do things youre good at
and you enjoy
A levels are hard
I'm taking the three sciences and maths and despite getting the top grade in each for GCSE, there has been times in each subject where I've struggled. If your think you'll "only" get a B with hard work then maths a level wouldn't be a good idea. Good luck tho
Reply 19
Maybe my assumption of 'most' was because all the sixth forms I've applied to are top ones, (simply because I have high aims for university), but yes I'm glad you've come to terms with the idea some sixth forms/colleges want A*-A in maths and sciences. Ah I see. Good luck

I have high aims as well and one I have applied to one that wants a A as well but that's a sixth form in the top 10% in the country really hope I get in. I have high Uni aims as well but knowing Medicine is highly competitive not really concerned much about what Uni it is. The medical council does not care about what Uni you have been to. Wish you all the luck with your high aspirations.

Quick Reply

Latest