The Student Room Group

Can you still go out but not partake with drinking games thoroughly?

Hi,

I am currently on a gap year (of sorts) and I am planning on going to uni this September, I visited my friend last night at her uni for a night out, and was thoroughly immersed in the uni environment, and it was great - apart from there was a lot of pressure to drink, due to the drinking games - I gave in, as I knew I wouldn't be doing this every week and it was a good experience, but if uni is going to be like this - where there is a pressure to drink more, due to pre drink drinking games, I know I wouldn't want to do it, but I would still want a night out.

Is it possible to do what I want? which is just drink a little, on my own terms, I love being fun and having a great time and going out, but I don't like drinking excessively for numerous reasons but to name one; because of the calories they contain as I love working out, e.g. last night set me back like a week in my gym training!

I already know this is a stupid question, as obviously I can control what I consume, but the reality of peer pressure was apparent last night!
Original post by NatalieEXE
Hi,

I am currently on a gap year (of sorts) and I am planning on going to uni this September, I visited my friend last night at her uni for a night out, and was thoroughly immersed in the uni environment, and it was great - apart from there was a lot of pressure to drink, due to the drinking games - I gave in, as I knew I wouldn't be doing this every week and it was a good experience, but if uni is going to be like this - where there is a pressure to drink more, due to pre drink drinking games, I know I wouldn't want to do it, but I would still want a night out.

Is it possible to do what I want? which is just drink a little, on my own terms, I love being fun and having a great time and going out, but I don't like drinking excessively for numerous reasons but to name one; because of the calories they contain as I love working out, e.g. last night set me back like a week in my gym training!

I already know this is a stupid question, as obviously I can control what I consume, but the reality of peer pressure was apparent last night!

If you don't want to succumb to peer pressure then if they were decent people they shouldn't be bothered by it really, so i think its entirely possible :smile:
Reply 2
The excessive drinking won't be EVERY night and any decent people will respect your decision to drink less.

Remember there will be people at uni who don't drink at all for personal or religious reasons, so it is possible to have a sober night out if you want it!
After first year the pressure dies down a lot, but during that time if you still want to feel like you're participating you could drink something weaker during those games.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
After first year the pressure dies down a lot, but during that time if you still want to feel like you're participating you could drink something weaker during those games.

thankyou, that seems like a realistic alternative :smile:
I haven't drank at all whilst at uni (in second year) and I still manage to go out and have fun =)

Quick Reply

Latest