The Student Room Group

Alldaydreaming's Road to 4 A's at AS

Scroll to see replies

Im not joining (A2 this year)
but I got AEED last year in my mocks and came out with AAAB, so keep going my niggaas
Original post by Zacken
Did this in my GCSE, it was: :shot:

Streetcar is amazing! My A level class is really small (only 3 of us) so it's a really relaxed and open environment.
Though, I can't imagine I would've enjoyed it as much with my huge class in GCSE.
Original post by mutantman52
Im not joining (A2 this year)
but I got AEED last year in my mocks and came out with AAAB, so keep going my niggaas

That's really reassuring! Thanks! Hope your A2s go well, which subjects are you doing?
Reply 23
Original post by alldaydreaming
Streetcar is amazing! My A level class is really small (only 3 of us) so it's a really relaxed and open environment.
Though, I can't imagine I would've enjoyed it as much with my huge class in GCSE.

Ah, fair enough. I'm a mathematician, so not precisely the type to enjoy Streetcar. :laugh:
Woo! Yay for motivating pep talk! Being a fashion buyer would be so awesome! I know how you feel - for the whole of the first term of school I was so unmotivated and the workload was way too much for me to handle (from English lit and maths in particular) but I think eventually I kind of got back into working habits. Maybe try creating a revision timetable with weekly rewards - I've got a timetable that I don't really use but it's there and when I was revising for GCSEs my rewards would be 1 hour of Netflix for example.
Something that I find really helpful (that I made at the beginning of year 11 was an inspiration wall in my room with motivational quotes as well as a poster with 50 ways to take a break (Google if your interested).
Also, the best thing I ever did (might work for you, but definitely worth a try) was create a subject revision plan for each subject in GCSEs - currently making my A Level one a the moment. I basically had a document on word with each subject I did and loads of ways to revise for each one that I knew would work. To up level it a bit, you could put the time it would take you to do each one or do a task for each specification point.

Hopefully that helps with motivation and things you can do to maintain your motivation and revision.
By the way, what texts are you studying for English Literature? (Just curious :biggrin:)

Thank you for all the tips, I'll defintely try them out! Currently I'm studying 'Bird song' by Sebastian Faulkes with one teacher and doing war poems with an anthology written by Brian Gardner ' Up the line to death' :biggrin: I'm really enjoying it, I'm glad that I chose it!! I am dreading the exam next year though :s-smilie: 3 hours each ( I think I'm have 2 Lit examns)! what about you?
Original post by Taefella
Thank you for all the tips, I'll defintely try them out! Currently I'm studying 'Bird song' by Sebastian Faulkes with one teacher and doing war poems with an anthology written by Brian Gardner ' Up the line to death' :biggrin: I'm really enjoying it, I'm glad that I chose it!! I am dreading the exam next year though :s-smilie: 3 hours each ( I think I'm have 2 Lit examns)! what about you?

That's really interesting - our texts seem really different! We've studied Hamlet, A Streetcar Named Desire but we're moving onto Selected poems from Rossetti and The Great Gatsby.
I have 2 exams at the end of this year - I think it's 2 next year as well, but not too sure.
I'm really enjoying it too! :smile:
That's really interesting - our texts seem really different! We've studied Hamlet, A Streetcar Named Desire but we're moving onto Selected poems from Rossetti and The Great Gatsby.
I have 2 exams at the end of this year - I think it's 2 next year as well, but not too sure.
I'm really enjoying it too! :smile:

Yeah it is! Next year we'll be studing love through the ages and that's when I'll study the Great Gasby and other romantic books, I'm so excited!! This year I have no examens, mine are all next year.
Good luck guys, I had a bit of nightmare at college - I took biology and psychology and it turns out I absolutely hate them both, hard to stay motivated when you made a terrible mistake haha

I didn't do amazing but I did alright, finished a-levels with AAB in business citizenship (lol) and ICT, couldn't handle biology and psychology so had to drop them and re-enrol oops

Fair to say I'm a business guy
That sounds exciting! I'm deciding between biological sciences, biomedical sciences, biochemistry and kind of chemical engineering (I'm surprised by how much I've liked chemistry this year).
How are your A levels going in general? Have you started revision for the summer exams yet?

Yeah A-Levels have been aright so far, thanks! And yes I have - but I'm sure I'm not gonna do so well in them haha. How about you?
That's really reassuring! Thanks! Hope your A2s go well, which subjects are you doing?

Im doin English lang, politics, history and maths (Droppedddd)
Original post by ravioliyears
Yeah A-Levels have been aright so far, thanks! And yes I have - but I'm sure I'm not gonna do so well in them haha. How about you?

I've kind of started revision - I'm in a bit of a middle phase at the moment: revising here and there but not 'proper' revision I.e. not really doing a set certain amount of hours a night, for example
Definitely dreading the exams in the summer! :frown:
Update: Starting to get half term homework now - a lot! Got my core 1 resit back today - got a B which is better but still some improvement needed. Have biology and English retakes tomorrow - hopefully they'll go well :redface:.
Core 2 is going okay - enjoying it at the moment, I understand it so far just need need to maintain that.
Proper revision will start tomorrow, I hope, with a Core 1 paper and either a decision paper or chem1 paper.
:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I had a bit of a panic on Saturday night - I tried to combine revision and homework all together which was really overwhelming. So I've tried to have a few days off as I've also had 2 days of work experience placement at my local hospital (I did throw in a sneaky bit of chemistry the other day, but not too much).

My plans are slightly changing for this half-term - it's important to relax from time to time - so I'm going to just focus solely on homework this half-term as there's quite a lot and a good deal of it is revision anyway. Hopefully all my homework should be done before Sunday, so I can have a rest before I go back to school.

I also have a part-time job (I work 8.5-9 hours a week) which I am going to leave - well I'm going seasonal (I will leave in a few weeks time and won't go back until the summer). I'm just hoping that leaving work for a bit will give me more time to revise and study as well as more of a chance to chill and do things I like.

I don't know if I mentioned earlier about my plan to make a 12 week revision timetable - with what I need to do each week. Well, I've scrapped that - instead, to allow more leeway and flexibility, I will try to make a revision plan for the next half term (which is 4 weeks) or I will just spend about an hour each week (on a Sunday probably) setting revision tasks for the coming week as well as reviewing my revision the previous week (what worked/didn't work).

My school is tightening up on revision now too:

English want us to do a timed essay each week which they will mark (we will alternate the weeks for the texts).
For Chemistry we tell our teacher which topic we want to revise and she makes a half hour test (for some people who need more intensity, this will be an hour) which we sit and then we go through with her, question by question. Chemistry have also (from January) created 3 more hours of lessons that are purely for exam technique - this is because there aren't enough weeks to teach the spec let alone enough time for revision at the end.
Biology are giving us an hour after school session for exam technique and as well as more exam questions.
Maths are making us do another paper after half term.
Hopefully with all this support, I won't need to go too crazy worrying about how I'm going to fit revision in.

Sorry, that was a long update!
What are everyone's plans for half-term? I hope your all enjoying the time off. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Good luck with all your studies - I'm sure you will put in the work and achieve everything you want to. It's also my first time doing Grow Your Grades - if you have any advice for me I would appreciate it :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending