The Student Room Group

Music grade/GCSE equivalent?

What is the music grade equivalent to getting an A* in music GCSE?
I heard from several sources that it was Grade 5, but is that a pass or distinction?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CactusMaya
What is the music grade equivalent to getting an A* in music GCSE?
I heard from several sources that it was Grade 5, but is that a pass or distinction?

Getting an A* in music GCSE is not just about having good music theory and being able to play your instrument well. I don't know what exam board your school does, but with Edexcel music, being grade 5 in an instrument really only helps with the performance part of the course. Granted, it counts towards 30% of your final grade, but it is possible to do well by playing a grade 3 piece of music as well (playing something of grade 5 standard adds four extra marks to your final mark out of 30, but that's it).

With the listening and composition parts of the exam, counting towards 70% percent of the grade overall, having a more developed musical knowledge does help, but again, it is definitely possible to get A* in both of these sections without having reached grade 5 in any instrument. The listening exam is honestly mainly just memorising the key features in the set works and with composition, it really depends on your ideas and how you develop them.

This all said, if you enjoy music in general, don't let you not having grade 5 (I'm assuming this is what's happening) stop you from taking it as a GCSE. If you're still not sure, try asking others who have taken GCSE music about how they found it, and maybe even talk to your music teacher.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for this information! Actually, I was just wondering because I'm finishing my GCSEs, I am taking grade 8 in music and was just wondering what music level that would put me at. But you're right in saying that most of the GCSE is not performance, but it is mostly theoretic.
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Getting an A* in music GCSE is not just about having good music theory and being able to play your instrument well. I don't know what exam board your school does, but with Edexcel music, being grade 5 in an instrument really only helps with the performance part of the course. Granted, it counts towards 30% of your final grade, but it is possible to do well by playing a grade 3 piece of music as well (playing something of grade 5 standard adds four extra marks to your final mark out of 30, but that's it).

With the listening and composition parts of the exam, counting towards 70% percent of the grade overall, having a more developed musical knowledge does help, but again, it is definitely possible to get A* in both of these sections without having reached grade 5 in any instrument. The listening exam is honestly mainly just memorising the key features in the set works and with composition, it really depends on your ideas and how you develop them.

This all said, if you enjoy music in general, don't let you not having grade 5 (I'm assuming this is what's happening) stop you from taking it as a GCSE. If you're still not sure, try asking others who have taken GCSE music about how they found it, and maybe even talk to your music teacher.

Nah m8
Just memorise the textbook and not **** up with your performance and boom...
A*
Original post by homeland.lsw
Nah m8
Just memorise the textbook and not **** up with your performance and boom...
A*

Okay, fair enough :lol:

Spoiler

Okay, fair enough :lol:

Spoiler

Someone in my class cannot even play an instrument and is taking music. Now that really says something...
Reply 6
Original post by CactusMaya
Thanks for this information! Actually, I was just wondering because I'm finishing my GCSEs, I am taking grade 8 in music and was just wondering what music level that would put me at. But you're right in saying that most of the GCSE is not performance, but it is mostly theoretic.

Grades 5 and 6 are considered at the same level as GCSEs, grades (6,) 7 and 8 are at the same Level as A levels. A distinction at Grade 8 gets you 75 UCAS points https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables/1086, nearly as many as a C at A level, though it is rated as being smaller (i.e. taking less time, which I doubt) but harder than that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Someone in my class cannot even play an instrument and is taking music. Now that really says something...

There is such a thing as musicology.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
There is such a thing as musicology.

What I meant to say is this person didn't even know the names of any notes, any scales absolutely zilch and still took GCSE music...
Hi, I'm Lucy :smile:

I play classical guitar and I'll be doing my ABRSM grade 4 this summer. I'll be applying to university this autumn and (with any luck) I'll be starting uni in the autumn of 2017. If I were to skip grade 5 and go straight to grade 6, and do the grade 6 theory as well as the grade 6 practical exam in the summer of 2017, would the UCAS points I get count towards my total UCAS points, or do the exams have to be done BEFORE you submit your application? (I would be doing the exam at around the same time as I do my A2 exams)

Thanks
Original post by Luce Juice
I play classical guitar and I'll be doing my ABRSM grade 4 this summer. I'll be applying to university this autumn and (with any luck) I'll be starting uni in the autumn of 2017. If I were to skip grade 5 and go straight to grade 6, and do the grade 6 theory as well as the grade 6 practical exam in the summer of 2017, would the UCAS points I get count towards my total UCAS points, or do the exams have to be done BEFORE you submit your application? (I would be doing the exam at around the same time as I do my A2 exams)

Even though Music exams officially get you UCAS points, the majority of courses will not count them in your offer - you'd have to check with the admissions tutor for the course you are hoping to study. However, if they do accept them then you only have to gain the qualification by the time you have to fulfill the offer, i.e. August.

Well, I had no idea about music whatsoever, really, until year 9, when I started piano lessons. And we had to pick options in year 9 - I don't know what I was thinking.

But yeah, that does say a lot :biggrin:

(Maybe they got peer-pressured like me :P )
Well, I had no idea about music whatsoever, really, until year 9, when I started piano lessons. And we had to pick options in year 9 - I don't know what I was thinking.

But yeah, that does say a lot :biggrin:

(Maybe they got peer-pressured like me :P )

nope because none of his friends does music...
I'd say he was a bit funny in the end... But he really pisses me off
Because he's like "sir my mac isn't working?!?!?" and he just sits there for like twenty minutes moaning and groaning when in reality the damn Mac wasn't even plugged in...
He always hates music and makes it a point and just ruins the positive vibes of our small 14 people class
nope because none of his friends does music...
I'd say he was a bit funny in the end... But he really pisses me off
Because he's like "sir my mac isn't working?!?!?" and he just sits there for like twenty minutes moaning and groaning when in reality the damn Mac wasn't even plugged in...
He always hates music and makes it a point and just ruins the positive vibes of our small 14 people class

I wonder why he took music if he doesn't enjoy it...

Spoiler

I wonder why he took music if he doesn't enjoy it...

Spoiler

omg we are literally living the same life

What number am I thinking of between 1 and 10
omg we are literally living the same life

What number am I thinking of between 1 and 10

Yeah... living the same life doesn't mean we're telepathic :lol:

Depending on when you were born, either you're living my life, or I'm living yours.

Spoiler

Original post by theotherside.
yeah... Living the same life doesn't mean we're telepathic :lol:

Depending on when you were born, either you're living my life, or i'm living yours.

Spoiler

Absolutely no joke my number was 7
Absolutely no joke my number was 7

Well, then I was very lucky with my choice in number...
Well, then I was very lucky with my choice in number...

ok...I still think you are me and I am you
Who knows maybe tomorrow I'll wake up as a rapey mutant ghost chicken
ok...I still think you are me and I am you
Who knows maybe tomorrow I'll wake up as a rapey mutant ghost chicken

Dammit. I'll never lose that title, will I?

Quick Reply

Latest