The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Extremely dejected over refusal from the Imperial college of London regarding admission in Petroleum Geo sciences. Though i am possessing ten years of experience with good credentials.
Well i do have an unconditional offer from Leeds University but was hoping from Imperial too, grades are ok with loads of expereince and interview was ok dont know why
So I'm studying an access course right now and so far I've received 4 offers out of my 5! Just waiting on Birkbeck but I've had offers from Portsmouth for geological hazards and then Southampton, Brighton and Royal Holloway for geology!
Is anyone thinking of going to these universities? Portsmouth sounds like my first choice atm for hazards :biggrin:
Original post by aamirgeo1
Well i do have an unconditional offer from Leeds University but was hoping from Imperial too, grades are ok with loads of expereince and interview was ok dont know why

Well, well done with the unconditional from Leeds! What course is that for and did you have an interview with them and were you then awarded with an unconditional? Or was it just straight away and you didn't require an interview?
Original post by saffine
So I'm studying an access course right now and so far I've received 4 offers out of my 5! Just waiting on Birkbeck but I've had offers from Portsmouth for geological hazards and then Southampton, Brighton and Royal Holloway for geology!
Is anyone thinking of going to these universities? Portsmouth sounds like my first choice atm for hazards :biggrin:

Over Southampton? :s-smilie: No disrespect to Portsmouth.....

But out of the places you have offers from, Pmouth would be my last choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Extremely dejected over refusal from the Imperial college of London regarding admission in Petroleum Geo sciences. Though i am possessing ten years of experience with good credentials.

I'm sorry to hear that, but it's not the end of the world. You'll still be able to get a good degree from Leeds, plus it's nowhere near as expensive :smile:

What experience do you have?
Reply 426

OMDs that sound so harsh, I really feel for you. I hope you have other good options. BTW could I ask you if there was any specific reason why you applied for imperial?
Original post by MountKimbie
Over Southampton? :s-smilie: No disrespect to Portsmouth.....

But out of the places you have offers from, Pmouth would be my last choice.

Yes but southampton want 45 distinctions and i already have 6 merits so i doubt id get in there.
And Royal holloway will cost more to rent in london. Birkbeck i can get a day job as its evening classes. Brighton i didnt like much
Original post by Inam97
OMDs that sound so harsh, I really feel for you. I hope you have other good options. BTW could I ask you if there was any specific reason why you applied for imperial?

Dear Inam there is no special reason for my choice i mean Imperial. But i was interested to get into. I tell u i am having offers from Leeds and Manchester, the main reason was to at least few options and then decide the better one after
How is University of Edinburgh...
I have a contact who is in their 3rd year of a Bsc geology degree at Leeds, they have let me know that they have been awarded a scholarship from Statoil to study Msc Petroleum Geoscience at Imperial, anybody know how common this sort of thing is? Especially considering that poor fellow got rejected even with 10 years of experience just seems a bit odd.
I guess it depends i mean if they know that students from EU or elsewhere around the world except Asia are sufficient enough to fill seats they seldom bother to contact us even if we have our own funding. Anyhow i have an option of Leeds and Manchester as well, Lets see
I guess it depends i mean if they know that students from EU or elsewhere around the world except Asia are sufficient enough to fill seats they seldom bother to contact us even if we have our own funding. Anyhow i have an option of Leeds and Manchester as well, Lets see

I'm an EU student, but because I have taken a 10 year 'gap' year (haha), I've applied to Foundation year to catch up... My choices were : Leicester, Durham (unconditional offer), Leeds, Manchester & Southampton (rejection - expected). I reckon the Leeds course is very good; and Manchester should be brilliant too as their science faculty has a great reputation - so don't be too disheartened!
Original post by Rftra
i don't recommend Leicester, I got an offer there but they don't seem good on paper

Can I ask why you say that? I have them as one of my choices because of their seismology research centre... Which University would you recommend for Geology?
Reply 434
Does anyone know if imperial would change my offer to study MSci Geology to MSci Geology and geophysics. I sent them an email really explicitly stating why. Plus I've studied maths and FM and studying AS physics (during my gap yr). am applying with achieved ALEVELs and have met their offer already and got an unconditional.
Original post by Inam97
Does anyone know if imperial would change my offer to study MSci Geology to MSci Geology and geophysics. I sent them an email really explicitly stating why. Plus I've studied maths and FM and studying AS physics (during my gap yr). am applying with achieved ALEVELs and have met their offer already and got an unconditional.

Probably. As far as I know it's possible to switch between courses until the end of Year 1 so it certainly should be possible now.
Reply 436
Original post by Plagioclase
Probably. As far as I know it's possible to switch between courses until the end of Year 1 so it certainly should be possible now.

Thanks for the information, I've emailed the admissions team today just waiting on their response. Tbf I have studied FM and maths and that's the only difference that the course requires abit stronger maths skills. Plus am doing physics this year any ways. Fingers crossed though they don't say no. Geophysics looks wicked especially with a lot of maths with
Original post by Inam97
Thanks for the information, I've emailed the admissions team today just waiting on their response. Tbf I have studied FM and maths and that's the only difference that the course requires abit stronger maths skills. Plus am doing physics this year any ways. Fingers crossed though they don't say no. Geophysics looks wicked especially with a lot of maths with

It should be easy. When I was studying at Imperial loads of people were switching between the geoscience courses in the first year, and some of us even switched in 2nd year.
Reply 438
I applied for the petroleum geoscience course, but got geology instead (messed up a really easy chemistry Q). But reading up on on the other courses I think I would like Geology and geophysics because of the ALEVEL subjects I studied. My plan is to do that and complete a postgraduate in petroleum engineering if I get a 1st class (easier said than done) or a postgraduate if I get a 2.1.

Plus would I be able to get some pointers for next year
Reply 439
Original post by NimbleNeil
I have a contact who is in their 3rd year of a Bsc geology degree at Leeds, they have let me know that they have been awarded a scholarship from Statoil to study Msc Petroleum Geoscience at Imperial, anybody know how common this sort of thing is? Especially considering that poor fellow got rejected even with 10 years of experience just seems a bit odd.

Zoe? I also got a scholarship to study Msc Petroleum Geoscience at Imperial, but from Total instead. It is extremely competitive. We were told that out of roughly 1500 applicants there were only 60 places and then only 7 scholarships available. If you want a scholarship you need to have a 1st, good work experience and just something that makes you stand out from other people. But, at the moment the oil price is crashing which makes it even more difficult..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending