The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How come Liverpool didn't celebrate this 2-2 draw like they did for the West Brom one?
Original post by sr90
How come Liverpool didn't celebrate this 2-2 draw like they did for the West Brom one?

Did you even know about the protest?
Original post by sr90

They snuck off down the tunnel as quickly as they could, only Milner showed any appreciation, and that was only from the halfway line.
Original post by samir12
Did you even know about the protest?

Yeh. I think it's pointless, why would Ian Ayre care when the fans leave after he's pocketed the money from all the tickets, pints, burgers and visits to the megastore? Not attending the game at all would be a real statement of intent but it'll never happen.

£77 a ticket is disgusting though, Liverpool is hardly a prosperous area like London is. Football is referred to as a ''working class game'' but that's what, 2 whole days work on the minimum wage? and that's gross pay never mind take home pay. I really envy my parents generation who grew up without everything being so ridiculously overpriced.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Yeh. I think it's pointless, why would Ian Ayre care when the fans leave after he's pocketed the money from all the tickets, pints, burgers and visits to the megastore? Not attending the game at all would be a real statement of intent but it'll never happen.

It will certainly get their attention though which is the whole point, at first they leave at 77 minutes, then at half time and who knows might not even attend the game. Either way it looks bad on the owners, reputation means a lot.

Yh £77 is extortionate, I got a ticket for Nou Camp for less than half that price ffs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sr90

Well WBA was a last minute equaliser whereas we threw away a 2-0 lead today so..

Also Klopp was busy having surgery.
How can a protest which everybody is talking about be "pointless"?
Original post by sr90

I'm beginning to see why you have no friends.

#toofar?
Original post by Mackay
How can a protest which everybody is talking about be "pointless"?

Why would the owners care when they haven't lost any money?

Original post by Lúcio
I'm beginning to see why you have no friends.

#toofar?

Original post by sr90
Why would the owners care when they haven't lost any money?

The owners will care if the protest continues for a prolonged time. Owners care about two things - success and fanbase numbers (but not what how the fans actually feel) because these two things tie into how much money the club can generate.

I don't think Ayre has happened matters with his moronic comments. Hard to justify such a price hike when:

- there will be 15k more seats (much of which are corporate hospitality)
- the new TV deal is for huge money
- the team has been crap with little success recently
- stadium revenues (especially from the cheaper tickets) is becoming such a small fraction of the overall revenue

Obviously the problem for fans is that there is way more demand than supply so refusing to buy tickets only hurts themselves in the long run.
There is a stat going around on RAWK that Mignolet has cost us 15 points this season, shocking if true but the defence infront of him are not much better.
Original post by samir12
There is a stat going around on RAWK that Mignolet has cost us 15 points this season, shocking if true but the defence infront of him are not much better.

It's sad because you look at all the keepers at our rival teams and you can see how many points they save.

Not sure you can blame the defence - these mistakes are simple ones that no PL keeper should be making. Keepers at this level are not meant to be a liability. Imagine where we'd be this season if we had a keeper like Hart/Courtois/Lloris/DDG.

If he is legit gonna be our keeper for the next 5 years, I can't see us doing anything significant.
Original post by samir12

Jeez wonder if it is that high? Does seem like he's had a lot of high profile clangers/soft goals this season.
Original post by Zerforax
Jeez wonder if it is that high? Does seem like he's had a lot of high profile clangers/soft goals this season.

15 points is probably higher than it really is.

You have to assume that at most, every mistake he makes costs 1 or 2 points (depending on if we end up drawing or losing). For him to have spurned 15 points means that he will have had to make "at least" 8 errors leading to a goal.

As bad as Mignolet is, it's definitely not that high. Probably about the 3 or 4 mark so I reckon he's lost us 6 points in total (just an estimate). With a quality keeper, I would expect us to at least be ahead of United, and probably closer to City than to them.
We still wouldn't be in top 4 but we'd definitely be in the running.
Reply 4474
Ward will surely get a start against West Ham on Tuesday?
FSG are reviewing their ticket price.

Klopp set to resume training tomorrow after his surgery.
Across Liverpool’s past 8 matches, 5 times Mignolet has conceded on half (or usually much more) of the shots on target faced.
Original post by Mackay
Across Liverpool’s past 8 matches, 5 times Mignolet has conceded on half (or usually much more) of the shots on target faced.

Shot stopper eh?

As I just said in the United thread, as poor as our defence can be at times, the goalkeeper is the real difference.

Look at the Chelsea v United game earlier and just see how good their respective keepers are.
It's an absolute embarrassment that we have a keeper who costs us more points than he saves when every single one of our rivals has a top quality player between the posts.
Original post by Lúcio
15 points is probably higher than it really is.

You have to assume that at most, every mistake he makes costs 1 or 2 points (depending on if we end up drawing or losing). For him to have spurned 15 points means that he will have had to make "at least" 8 errors leading to a goal.

As bad as Mignolet is, it's definitely not that high. Probably about the 3 or 4 mark so I reckon he's lost us 6 points in total (just an estimate). With a quality keeper, I would expect us to at least be ahead of United, and probably closer to City than to them.
We still wouldn't be in top 4 but we'd definitely be in the running.

Yea seems too high. Can easily see it being around 7-10 points though. I guess some people may blame him for a lot of mistakes at corners?

Original post by cBay
Ward will surely get a start against West Ham on Tuesday?

Wouldn't be terrible for him but maybe Klopp doesn't want to put him in the firing line and ruin his confidence too? Although if he's not going to play at all, why recall him from loan where he was getting a ton of valuable experience and confidence?

Original post by mr tim
FSG are reviewing their ticket price.

Klopp set to resume training tomorrow after his surgery.

Well they were meant to consult on the whole process too so tbh I don't believe anything until there is now going to be a substantive change to the ticket prices.
Original post by Zerforax
Yea seems too high. Can easily see it being around 7-10 points though. I guess some people may blame him for a lot of mistakes at corners?

Wouldn't be terrible for him but maybe Klopp doesn't want to put him in the firing line and ruin his confidence too? Although if he's not going to play at all, why recall him from loan where he was getting a ton of valuable experience and confidence?

Well they were meant to consult on the whole process too so tbh I don't believe anything until there is now going to be a substantive change to the ticket prices.

Yeah I definitely think whoever made that stat was perhaps being a bit harsh.
I would call a mistake something obvious like a fumble or like against Sunderland. I still haven't forgotten the embarrassing goal we conceded in the EL where Mignolet held the ball too long.

It isn't just one season; the guy is consistently making errors and costing us points. He hasn't displayed the quality we expected in the entire time he's been at Liverpool. I still can't get my head around us extending his contract for so long.

Mignolet aside, what has pissed me off most this season is the way we drop points. Let's be honest, we rarely get outclassed in matches yet still seem to draw/lose.
Recently for instance, we lost against Leicester and United yet in both games we definitely weren't outplayed.
We drop points and it's our own fault. We have more than enough to get the wins but never seem to bloody do it.

Latest