The Student Room Group

Which is most evil, White Van Man or Pro-EU Woman?

Thinking back to Emily Thornberry's faux pas of ridiculing a white van and English flags on a housing estate it seems that we have two evils in the UK:

"White Van Man" (WVM): has a tribal attachment to locality. Prone to xenophobia.

"Pro-EU Woman" (PEW): Hates chavs and her fellow citizens. Prone to wanting them all homogenized so that everyone has her class and attitudes.

Both of them are racists. WVM doesnt like people from elsewhere. PEW hates diversity, difference for her means the fear of war and having to be tolerant to those she hates.

The EU referendum is descending into a class conflict between two sets of evil racists - who is worst?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newpersonage
Thinking back to Emily Thornberry's faux pas of ridiculing a white van and English flags on a housing estate it seems that we have two evils in the UK:

"White Van Man" (WVM): has a tribal attachment to locality. Prone to xenophobia.

Pro-EU Woman (PEW): Hates chavs and her fellow citizens. Prone to wanting them all homogenized so that everyone has her class and attitudes.

Both of them are racists. WVM doesnt like people from elsewhere. PEW hates diversity, difference for her means the fear of war and having to be tolerant to those she hates.

The EU referendum is descending into a class conflict between two sets of evil racists - who is worst?

Please explain how taking a photograph of something that you don't see very often and then posting it on Twitter with the caption 'a house in Rochester' is in any way ridiculing that thing.
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
Please explain how taking a photograph of something that you don't see very often and then posting it on Twitter with the caption 'a house in Rochester' is in any way ridiculing that thing.

Take that up with Ed Milliband. Pro-EU Woman exists, seek out any moral highground and she'll be lurking there. What we have is the same intolerance as White Van Man, but cloaked in "holiness"
Take that up with Ed Milliband. Pro-EU Woman exists, seek out any moral highground and she'll be lurking there. What we have is the same intolerance as White Van Man, but cloaked in "holiness"

I don't disagree with you, but well done for completely failing to respond to what I said.......
I don't disagree with you, but well done for completely failing to respond to what I said.......

I was using the Media's implication that Thornberry was iconic of the Pro-EU Woman (PEW) type. Whether that was justified or not is another matter. There are a large number of PEWs, male and female, who correspond to Thornberry's iconic, racist status which is why it was so easy to create the icon in the first place.

Most pro-EU supporters are racists, dedicated to the destruction of diversity out of fear of difference, and this needs saying. It has reduced the EU referendum into a squabble between Internationalist and Nationalist racists.
Both of them are totally insufferable archetypes.
both are parasites
If I had to choose I would say that pro-EU Woman is worst. White Van Man is like the "honest" thief - knows he is doing wrong but keeps on doing it. Pro-EU woman is like the Marxist thief, who says he is enriching himself because all property is theft.
Because finding things like genital mutilation, anti semitism, paedophila, invest etc universally abhorrent is of course the mentality of an imperialist.

Why can't we all live peacefully with a rich plurality of nations where morality is determined by what piece of earth we are born in?
Original post by Davij038
Because finding things like genital mutilation, anti semitism, paedophila, invest etc universally abhorrent is of course the mentality of an imperialist.

Why can't we all live peacefully with a rich plurality of nations where morality is determined by what piece of earth we are born in?

I love philosophy so I would be inclined to say that the "rich plurality of nations" provides the best setting for the arts, for exploring new social and economic systems, for general cultural and sporting development. It is also more stable in the long run - an homogenized society will appear stable for decades or centuries but then collapse all at once, its stability having turned to petrification (cf: USSR, Roman Empire, Han and Tang Dynasties etc. :u:).

Independent states that adhere to international law to govern their external relations would be ideal. We almost got there until Blair and Bush just threw away any pretence of living within a law.

This is another reason for finding Pro-EU woman to be worst. He/She is a destroyer of possibilities. White Van Man is not even in the same ball park for evil potential.
(edited 8 years ago)
I love philosophy so I would be inclined to say that the "rich plurality of nations" provides the best setting for the arts, for exploring new social and economic systems, for general cultural and sporting development. It is also more stable in the long run - an homogenized society will appear stable for decades or centuries but then collapse all at once, its stability having turned to petrification (cf: USSR, Roman Empire, Han and Tang Dynasties etc. :u:).

So says somebody born into one Of the more fortunate places in the world.

How is that dastardly EU going to destroy the various cultures that make up the EU? The bloody Cornish language still exists for gods sake! Like I said it's all about perspective- in Britain we are English, Welsh etc. In Europe we are British and in the world we are European.

Hmm under the EU there have been no wars among member states including during the biggest crash since the 1930s.

It amazes me that people think the nation state is the end point of human civilisation or that somehow people won't try and create new art and literature in a post state society.

Of course nothing lasts forever- in that case why bother doing anything?

Independent states that adhere to international law to govern their external relations would be ideal. We almost got there until Blair and Bush just threw away any pretence of living within a law.

Yep places like North Korea are sovereign states freely chosen by their people. Theyre far better off eating grass and dying of malnutrition than being subject to foreign customs like democracy and human rights. But hey, those stature they make of Kim Jong il are pretty unique so I guess they should stay that way forever as part of our diverse heritage.

This is another reason for finding Pro-EU woman to be worst. He/She is a destroyer of possibilities. White Van Man is not even in the same ball park for evil potential.

I could make the point that white van man is worse because when he elects anti immigration parties into power he could stop a migrant being born into the UK who would be perhaps the greatest artist if the century.

But I won't because that would be as retarded as the point you made above.
So says somebody born into one Of the more fortunate places in the world.

How is that dastardly EU going to destroy the various cultures that make up the EU? The bloody Cornish language still exists for gods sake! Like I said it's all about perspective- in Britain we are English, Welsh etc. In Europe we are British and in the world we are European.

Your whole post is based on simply saying that unions are diverse. I can do this - black is white, up is down etc..
Your whole post is based on simply saying that unions are diverse. I can do this - black is white, up is down etc..

Nurse! A patients escaped!

(I don't really get what your point is*)

*ill assume you're not saying that a black person cannot be integrated into their host culture.
Nurse! A patients escaped!

(I don't really get what your point is*)

*ill assume you're not saying that a black person cannot be integrated into their host culture.

The point is straightforward: union is the opposite of diversity. The argument that England is diverse because a handful of people have resurrected the Cornish language is absurd. Cornwall - Dumnonia - disappeared entirely centuries ago. It was an independent country with its own vibrant language and profitable mines that allowed it to resist invasion but now it is almost completely gone.

Cornwall became part of a union with the rest of England and disappeared.
The UK will become part of the EU and will disappear. It has already left the world stage as an independent country, the UK representatives on the UN and the WTO etc. being required by Treaty, since 2014, to represent the views of the EU.

Don't play dumb, you know full well what she was doing. Unless your username is an understatement and you're considerably further along the spectrum than that....

Hmm under the EU there have been no wars among member states including during the biggest crash since the 1930s.

One. We have a welfare state now. It is much easier to do a Hitler if you have a hungry population.

Two. If this argument applies I would say it applies more to the likes of France and Germany. World War three isn't going start fo we leave. After all. It was us that, in the end, rescued Europe from Fascism! Well the kind of fascism that invades other countries. Fascism in one country is another matter.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
One. We have a welfare state now. It is much easier to do a Hitler if you have a hungry population.

Two. If this argument applies I would say it applies more to the likes of France and Germany. World War three isn't going start fo we leave. After all. It was us that, in the end, rescued Europe from Fascism! Well the kind of fascism that invades other countries. Fascism in one country is another matter.

1: Weimar Republic had a welfare state I believe.

2:

A- if we leave it could precipitate a crash particularly when coupled with the National front in France.

B- not sure if you are being ironic with that point.

I think we are better off under our current EU than going back to the days of Franco etc - which I think will be substantially more likely to occur particularly with economic uncertainty than outside the EU.
(edited 8 years ago)
White van men because they're paedos
Original post by KimKallstrom
Don't play dumb, you know full well what she was doing. Unless your username is an understatement and you're considerably further along the spectrum than that....

If you were a senior member of a political party which now has a stigma of being anti-English and anti-working class, and there was an election coming up the next year in which you ideally needed English working-class people to vote for you, give me one good reason why you would deliberately mock a house clearly inhabited by a working-class family with English flags draped all over it.
1: Weimar Republic had a welfare state I believe.

2:

A- if we leave it could precipitate a crash particularly when coupled with the National front in France.

B- not sure if you are being ironic with that point.

I think we are better off under our current EU than going back to the days of Franco etc - which I think will be substantially more likely to occur particularly with economic uncertainty than outside the EU.

I wasn't being ironic, more logically tripping over myself midway through my sentence. Whilst we did defeat the Nazis we were either ruled by stupid people or people who supported a certain kind of Fascism.

I think my main point is that Mainland Europe is better off in the EU. It really wasn't that long ago when places like Greece were a dictatorship (although you can servery question whether they are a democracy with the whole Syriza debacle!) but the UK is not the same. Basically we are not at risk of getting in a war with Germany if we left or of becoming a fascist state. The material conditions are to good and, for all the flaws with this country, we do seem to be good at not going down the fascist route. When fascists march on the streets overwhelming numbers of people march against them, not with them.

The referendum is on whether we remain members of the EU. Not on whether the EU should be completely dismantled.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest