The Student Room Group

Crush sometimes takes a while to reply to my messages

It's the waiting part that's the problem for me. Sometimes she replies within minutes but other times she could take hours, but that's even when she's seen my message. I know she's seen it but she still takes ages to reply :frown:

I don't like that feeling where I have to wait constantly and it takes up my time. I mean it doesn't bother me when I'm doing something but when I literally have nothing to do, it's going to play on my mind. So what can I do? I mean she does reply, like about 90% of the time and she sometimes starts the conversation with me too so it's not like i'm pestering her every second
Don't give anyone that sort of power over you. I know how it feels and it sucks. The only thing you can do is distract yourself and chill out. See it as 'if she replies soon then great, if she doesn't then she will eventually and it's not big deal'.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Don't give anyone that sort of power over you. I know how it feels and it sucks. The only thing you can do is distract yourself and chill out. See it as 'if she replies soon then great, if she doesn't then she will eventually and it's not big deal'.

I get you. We can have flowing conversations IF she replies. In real life it's even better cos we can talk for hours

I would normally only message her to arrange to meet up for events or at uni and she does accept most of the time. But it's just this wait, gosh it's so painful sometimes because I know she can reply within minutes but she just wants to make me wait :frown:
I understand that the wait can be anxious.

But on the flip side, message too often/too frequently and you will run out of things to talk about. You also don't want to come across as too keen or clingy.
Reply 4
Maybe she's trying not to seem too keen? If I reply too quickly I start to worry I look like I have nothing better to do and have to remind myself to not make myself too available, or whatever. If she replies 90% of the time though, what are you complaining about? Some peoples crushes never reply. Focus on the positives! It doesn't look good to be too needy either; that might put her off you so don't let on that it bothers you so much.
I get you. We can have flowing conversations IF she replies. In real life it's even better cos we can talk for hours

I would normally only message her to arrange to meet up for events or at uni and she does accept most of the time. But it's just this wait, gosh it's so painful sometimes because I know she can reply within minutes but she just wants to make me wait :frown:

I know how the waiting can be torture and it's frustrating when the other person doesn't reply as quickly as you want them to. But keep in mind that they could just be busy or simply forget to respond - I've been guilty of doing that myself sometimes ngl.

It's harder to wait when it's a crush that's constantly on your mind :console: but as I've said before, distraction is key and force yourself to accept that it may take a little longer for her to text back.
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
I understand that the wait can be anxious.

But on the flip side, message too often/too frequently and you will run out of things to talk about. You also don't want to come across as too keen or clingy.

But the thing is, we don't even message each other that often. I try not to reply instantly because I have my messages synced with my laptop so I see it exactly as she messages me, so that's how I avoid being too clingy/needy and reply after a couple minutes. It's just having to wait, I can deal with an hour or two hours but 5 or 6 hours...ugh it's so annoying.

Original post by Katarvi
Maybe she's trying not to seem too keen? If I reply too quickly I start to worry I look like I have nothing better to do and have to remind myself to not make myself too available, or whatever. If she replies 90% of the time though, what are you complaining about? Some peoples crushes never reply. Focus on the positives! It doesn't look good to be too needy either; that might put her off you so don't let on that it bothers you so much.

Am I being needy though? The thing is, I don't message her every second and I definitely don't push her for an answer if she doesn't reply. I've learned from that mistake in the past. Now I try to control myself by waiting for her to reply to my initial messages, but it feels like an eternity for me!

I know how the waiting can be torture and it's frustrating when the other person doesn't reply as quickly as you want them to. But keep in mind that they could just be busy or simply forget to respond - I've been guilty of doing that myself sometimes ngl.

It's harder to wait when it's a crush that's constantly on your mind :console: but as I've said before, distraction is key and force yourself to accept that it may take a little longer for her to text back.

What can I do to distract myself? I'm usually at home in the evenings and I just work on my coursework which is boring as it is, add the "waiting for my crush to respond" feeling just makes it drag out forever lol

What can I do to distract myself? I'm usually at home in the evenings and I just work on my coursework which is boring as it is, add the "waiting for my crush to respond" feeling just makes it drag out forever lol

Watch a movie or a tv show. Before you know it, a couple hours would have flown by when you become absorbed in what you're watching.
Reply 8
I wouldn't say you are coming off as needy, but it's a good idea to be aware that you might if you acted upon your frustrations at her not replying in a timely manner. Maybe sometimes wait and reply to her after like an hour or something? Not with the intention of "playing games" or whatever, just to demonstrate to yourself that you don't need to reply so fast and maybe to let her know that she's not the most important thing to you right now and you can be busy sometimes.

It's definitely annoying waiting so long for a reply, but there's not much you can do about it really. As the other anon said, try stay distracted. Focus on your coursework, as boring as it may be. Listen to some music. Read a book. Go out with friends! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending