The Student Room Group

Is it normal for depression to be worsened around others with other MH illnesses?

I ask this because I'm currently taking antidepressants and quite recently I've been in contact with another person with different mental health illnesses, and tonight I felt that my depression worsened slightly because of the situation I was/have been in.

It's not unusual for this to happen, right?
Original post by lustawny
I ask this because I'm currently taking antidepressants and quite recently I've been in contact with another person with different mental health illnesses, and tonight I felt that my depression worsened slightly because of the situation I was/have been in.

It's not unusual at all, when going through something like depression, your thoughts are filtered negatively and when you're around someone else in the same position so too will be theirs, meaning you're likely to bounce of one another in that respect. While it's sometimes comforting to talk to someone who can understand what you're going through, it's not always the best idea to only be around people like that, try to surround yourself with as much positivity as possible :redface:
It's not unusual at all. My MH often gets a bit worse around certain people.
Reply 3
This is quite normal in my experience. I was in psychotherapy for two years, around a group of people with depression once a week every week and I didn't realise how low it made me feel until I left that place for good. It was legitimately getting me down being around them, hearing their stories and being in an environment that felt like my energy was being drained away by people dragging me down.

It's emotionally draining taking in what other people with mental illnesses have been through and to witness their moods and to hear their problems. I'd say it's entirely normal to feel the way you do in this situation. Maybe limit contact with this person if it's genuinely bringing you down a lot? You have to put yourself first.
Reply 4
Original post by Blondie987
It's not unusual at all, when going through something like depression, your thoughts are filtered negatively and when you're around someone else in the same position so too will be theirs, meaning you're likely to bounce of one another in that respect. While it's sometimes comforting to talk to someone who can understand what you're going through, it's not always the best idea to only be around people like that, try to surround yourself with as much positivity as possible :redface:

Thanks a lot :smile:

I'm watching I'm Alan Partridge on TV right now, so how's that for positivity? :wink:

Definitely not
Thanks a lot :smile:

I'm watching I'm Alan Partridge on TV right now, so how's that for positivity? :wink:

Aha! Have you seen the one where he tries to climb over the fence and spikes his foot? :laugh:
Reply 7
Aha! Have you seen the one where he tries to climb over the fence and spikes his foot? :laugh:

Yes! That scene afterwards where he's just constantly throwing up is comedy gold! :tongue:
Yes! That scene afterwards where he's just constantly throwing up is comedy gold! :tongue:

Steve Coogan is a gift lol
Reply 9
Steve Coogan is a gift lol

What about this? :rofl:

It's always difficult to tell what's causing you to become more 'triggered' it may be that they or some of their behaviour particularly if it's erratic for example, it may remind you of bad experiences or even your own bad spells. It's important to recognise that when you're depressed you're emotionally vulnerable you shouldn't be quick to blame a worsening of your condition on outside factors but view it as an opportunity to develop ways of coping with the different types of people that you'll meet in the course of your life. You don't want to buy into stigmatising people who suffer similarly to yourself. That'd be a great shame. But equally you do have to look after number one when you're unwell.
Reply 11
:awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest