The Student Room Group

uni textbooks, what a scam

spent £150 on 3 textbooks
so far we have used a total of around 30 pages across all 3 books

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You must be a first year student.
Try doing a law degree. I had to buy 7 textbooks, some of which are in excess of 1000 pages, and 2 statute books. We hardly use at least four textbooks, despite the dept. saying that they were essential
Check out your library in the future - it may have those books, if not then maybe useful stuff as well.

I bought a crapload of books in my first year too :tongue: never used them.. a bit like tungsten tipped screws, really.
Original post by UWS

how do you know this from this thread
Reply 5
Original post by Straighthate
how do you know this from this thread

Lol am I right?

Pretty much every first year student buys textbooks. Then after they realise it's a waste of time and money
Original post by jamesmact
Try doing a law degree. I had to buy 7 textbooks, some of which are in excess of 1000 pages, and 2 statute books. We hardly use at least four textbooks, despite the dept. saying that they were essential

Well you clearly didn't have to if hardly use them.
Never buy a text book unless you absolutely need to...unless you have the money to waste.

Lecturers will stress that you need to buy them, often you don't. The core text books are almost always in abundance in the library. Any textbooks you genuinely need you'll find out later on down the line if you're actually reaching for it a lot.
Who buys textbooks when they are free in the library?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hezzlington
Well you clearly didn't have to if hardly use them.

Well yes, that's the whole point of this thread; that the module leaders tell you at the start of the year what is essential, only to assign reading which isn't in the textbook you spent 30+ quid on
I buy textbooks every year, second hand where possible (and latest editions), or new.
Around £200 each year.
Luckily I actually make full use of them, and I won't use the library. I enjoy my convenience.
Plus they resell easily.
Do people ever realise that you're supposed to read beyond just the pages marked by lecturers as the 'essential minimum'?
Reply 12
I bought several books in my first year, the local charity book shop has a great collection of textbooks for my course (several former students and lecturers donated them, as well as ex-library copies). Although my situation was rather different.

We were specifically told not to buy any books, as it is a waste of money (all the necessary material is given to us, and there a lots of copies of books in the library for further reading). I am glad I do not feel that I have wasted any money, I love all of my books. However I do feel bad when students are pressured into buying books they don't need. Hopefully you can sell yours at the end of the year and make some of your money back.
Original post by SophieSmall
Never buy a text book unless you absolutely need to...unless you have the money to waste.

Lecturers will stress that you need to buy them, often you don't. The core text books are almost always in abundance in the library. Any textbooks you genuinely need you'll find out later on down the line if you're actually reaching for it a lot.

When i was at uni all the core books were taken out of the library on the very first day term started lol so i would read the older editions. I did purchase a few but sold them on ebay after.
Original post by chikane
When i was at uni all the core books were taken out of the library on the very first day term started lol so i would read the older editions. I did purchase a few but sold them on ebay after.

Suppose it depends on your uni/ course but I'd always advise checking availability in the library before buying. Our core text books are all in the library and there are lots of copies and they all also have a reference copy or two as well so there is always one in the library.

If I had bought every textbook recommended to me I wouldn't have been able to afford rent at some point :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Suppose it depends on your uni/ course but I'd always advise checking library availability in the library before buying. Our core text books are all in the library and there are lots of copies and they all also have a reference copy or two as well so there is always one in the library.

If I had bought every textbook recommended to me I wouldn't have been able to afford rent at some point :tongue:

This.

It's beyond me why OP didn't do this.
Original post by UWS

Lmao I know right. Haven't bought a book since one class in my first year. I'm 3 years in no books. Get that **** at the library rasclart.

Download pdf. My Uni tries to force us by making the coursework apart of some online eBook course thing but **** that. Use the hard copy and email screenshots of my work :rofl:
Suppose it depends on your uni/ course but I'd always advise checking availability in the library before buying. Our core text books are all in the library and there are lots of copies and they all also have a reference copy or two as well so there is always one in the library.

lmao exactly. Also download free pdf ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ or ask a mate and take photos of the pages.
Your first year you want to feel like a proper, well rounded student, carrying your little books all :wavey: and using your little highlighter on page 73 :rofl: but a couple months go by and you look a right fool having bought a book you only cracked about once. :colonhash:
Suppose it depends on your uni/ course but I'd always advise checking library availability in the library before buying. Our core text books are all in the library and there are lots of copies and they all also have a reference copy or two as well so there is always one in the library.

I started uni under the old fees but when the new fees were introduced my uni gave out all textbooks to students free of charge. I'm surprised more uni don't offer this.
I would check first always but i remember buying an accounting book and paid £30 and didn't understand a page of what it was on about so found a book in the library which explained it better.Took me 2 years to sell the chunky thing.
I use the few books I've bought as steps to reach for something high in my closet. :holmes:

Original post by Magdatrix >_<
Do people ever realise that you're supposed to read beyond just the pages marked by lecturers as the 'essential minimum'?

It's called a library.

Quick Reply