The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Oxbridge? Proving it here.

Scroll to see replies

*subscribing*

:smile:
you must have aced your interview......
Proper update to come tomorrow. I'm deactivating my main facebook account for the minimum period of a month (hopefuly I won't need the login for other services. I forget which things I use facebook login for.)
Hoping this will help me stay productive.

Original post by rayquaza17
*subscribing*

:smile:

Original post by lai812matthew
you must have aced your interview......

I suppose
Science

Met my week 1 target. Oops.

Further Maths
M2
Done the COM questions and half of WEP of M2 review. Onto next topic for M2.
Fp3
Behind. Only completed vectors. Need to complete matrices. Matrices was such a pain, omg.

It's a bit messed up as I changed the target date. But I'm behind. Week 2 target day was meant to be today but the next time I see the tutor is the Sunday after my return from abroad (21st) so as I'd given myself a week off in the schedule, I'm kinda okay target wise. Might even have time for extra questions. The facebook deactivation certainly frees up my time but I've not been using it as efficiently as I hoped. I'll spend the next couple days doing some extra questions then I'll continue with the new material.
Reply 64
Subbing!
Study bodes well. I've been focusing on science content but have done some maths here and there. Random integration questions as well as some M2 questions.

No gym or other commitments this evening so can do some practice.

After collaboration with @Student403, I have a better idea what my goals for FM will be as I was insure before. Fp3 and M2 by the end of February (which still feels realistic despite my holiday next week) and then Fp2, S2 and D1 in March. Fp2 I know a lot of so might concentrate on mixed first for some of the topics and the others are easy content-wise apparently.

Hopefully make a start on Fp3 matrices this evening and Collisions M2.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Subbing!

Ta
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Study bodes well. I've been focusing on science content but have done some maths here and there. Random integration questions as well as some M2 questions.

No gym or other commitments this evening so can do some practice.

After collaboration with @Student403, I have a better idea what my goals for FM will be as I was insure before. Fp3 and M2 by the end of February (which still feels realistic despite my holiday next week) and then Fp2, S2 and D1 in March. Fp2 I know a lot of so might concentrate on mixed first for some of the topics and the others are easy content-wise apparently.

Hopefully make a start on Fp3 matrices this evening and Collisions M2.

Wonderful plan - all the best :h:
Original post by Student403
Wonderful plan - all the best :h:

Thanks. I kinda want to do an Fp2 paper. I'm irritated that I've not finished anything yet. Might do it if I'm up to it and see how I do. Might remember some things :tongue:.
Reply 69
Collisions M2.

This one is very fun, enjoy it!
Original post by Zacken
This one is very fun, enjoy it!

Thanks.

Hopefully it'll be okay. M2 is definitely one I'll have to practice. Hopefully i complete everything a little early so I'll have time for reviews.

I'm scared for the last moments topic. I didn't even like it in M1 :erm:.
Thanks. I kinda want to do an Fp2 paper. I'm irritated that I've not finished anything yet. Might do it if I'm up to it and see how I do. Might remember some things :tongue:.

It'll fall in to place - don't worry about it. Go for it tbh cause I think there are an abundance of maths papers compared to other subjects. You can afford to bang one out now

Great story, best wishes.

ftr, I do S3, and if you are solid on s2, i.e. 95 and above you will imo get an A in s3 if you start now.
Thanks.

Hopefully it'll be okay. M2 is definitely one I'll have to practice. Hopefully i complete everything a little early so I'll have time for reviews.

I'm scared for the last moments topic. I didn't even like it in M1 :erm:.

Slightly off topic but I'm wondering why Cambridge didn't continue to carry over their contextualisation of you? They can obviously see that you've had incredibly tough circumstances and have done so well in light of that, and that you do have the raw ability to thrive there. But it's not like your circumstances are favourable now - not many students who need A*A*A are working full time and supporting themselves? Most have pretty comfortable lives and go to good schools who prep them endlessly for that. I believe that you can get these grades of course, I'm just wondering why Cambridge look at contextualisation for your previous circumstances but seem to ignore them in your offer and gave you the standard offer?
Original post by Student403
It'll fall in to place - don't worry about it. Go for it tbh cause I think there are an abundance of maths papers compared to other subjects. You can afford to bang one out now

Yea, I'm lucky about that for Maths :smile:. I'll see how it goes :smile:.

Original post by Mihael_Keehl
Great story, best wishes.

ftr, I do S3, and if you are solid on s2, i.e. 95 and above you will imo get an A in s3 if you start now.

Hello. I've already paid for my exams and S3 was tempting but decided against it in the end, in lieu of D1. I'm not solid on S2 :lol:. Not started it.

Original post by Ethereal World
Slightly off topic but I'm wondering why Cambridge didn't continue to carry over their contextualisation of you? They can obviously see that you've had incredibly tough circumstances and have done so well in light of that, and that you do have the raw ability to thrive there. But it's not like your circumstances are favourable now - not many students who need A*A*A are working full time and supporting themselves? Most have pretty comfortable lives and go to good schools who prep them endlessly for that. I believe that you can get these grades of course, I'm just wondering why Cambridge look at contextualisation for your previous circumstances but seem to ignore them in your offer and gave you the standard offer?

Hi there. Thanks for the comment. No need to apologise. Happy to chat as usual.

I can't presume to know the thoughts of the admissions tutor(s)/fellow but it's my understanding that students at the mature colleges still make the standard offer. The guy I had the test with lived at home with his mother who he supported partly while working full time and yet managed to get full marks in his access course. My life has had its tough elements but plenty of others undergo equally bad things or worse and manage to do well. I vaguely recall someone - in the same year as my original results - getting straight A*s while being homeless :eek:.

It is difficult, however, to balance work + commitments and study so I'm glad you understand! I don't think many people appreciate how little time I have after 10 hrs are stolen from my day for work and travel! At least I'm no longer consumed by feelings of inferiority so that's progress.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yea, I'm lucky about that for Maths :smile:. I'll see how it goes :smile:.

Hello. I've already paid for my exams and S3 was tempting but decided against it in the end, in lieu of D1. I'm not solid on S2 :lol:. Not started it.

Hi there. Thanks for the comment. No need to apologise. Happy to chat as usual.

I can't presume to know the thoughts of the admissions tutor(s)/fellow but it's my understanding that students at the mature colleges still make the standard offer. The guy I had the test with lived at home with his mother who he supported party and worked full time and managed to get full marks in his access course. My life has had its tough elements but plenty of others undergo equally bad things or worse and manage to do well. I vaguely recall someone - in the same year as my original results - getting straight A*s while being homeless :eek:.

edexcel right?

I am doing d1 :P

m2 and d1 on same day <3
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
edexcel right?

I am doing d1 :P

m2 and d1 on same day <3

Edexcel indeed. What an annoying timetable :/. FM always clashes for some reason. I feel like Fp3 and S2 clashed for me and then M2/Fp2 or something like that.
Edexcel indeed. What an annoying timetable :/. FM always clashes for some reason. I feel like Fp3 and S2 clashed for me and then M2/Fp2 or something like that.

I have fp2 and m1.

step 1 and chem 4

d1 and m2

was going to do fp3 - learnt most of the content but cba to do it on the same day as s2 and then have phy 5 the day after.

This is the problem with june exams, at least in a january sitting good students can ease the burden on their workload lol.

I think edexcel do it so that it is perhaps easier for private candidates, seeing as many of the clashes are on the same day as other sittings for the core maths ones I guess :P

How many exams do oytu have before the break?

I have s3 :biggrin:
Your story inspires me, I got into another top uni with not great GCSE grades but with serious extenuating circumstances.
Also Oxbridge was always my dream before I got another offer from an equally good uni (and was rejected from oxford).
What degree are you applying to? Best wishes, again your story is amazing :smile:
Original post by MJlover
Your story inspires me, I got into another top uni with not great GCSE grades but with serious extenuating circumstances.
Also Oxbridge was always my dream before I got another offer from an equally good uni (and was rejected from oxford).
What degree are you applying to? Best wishes, again your story is amazing :smile:

I've applied for Natural Sciences. I'm only mid-story. Can already taste the bitter flavour if I miss my offer :lol:.
I actually started posting on TSR because my GCSEs weren't great and I was worried about my future. The centre I sat them were just please someone got some A*-Cs and I was frustrated at the satisfaction with mediocrity and a bit resentful.
I was informed that I'd have a shot if I did okay at college and so approached year 12 with some gusto and managed to do acceptably well. And then, you know :tongue:.

Part of me is glad I've had time out before uni. I used to be so arrogant and judgemental of people who were lazy. But now I can sympathise with lack of motivation + I understand how life can get in the way. I can appreciate how annoying I was as I consistently did well despite stressing about my results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending