The Student Room Group

Intergration

I am trying to understand how integration works. I checked text books but they don't offer the basics. For example what process would you need to integrate y=x, is it integration by parts?
Reply 1
Integration is the inverse process to differentiation. So instead of multiplying by the index and reducing the index by one, we increase the index by one and divide by the new index. For example, becomes . The appears because the derivative of any constant term is zero.
Reply 2
Original post by cosv
I am trying to understand how integration works. I checked text books but they don't offer the basics. For example what process would you need to integrate y=x, is it integration by parts?

Differentiation is finding the gradient of a curve. Integration is finding the area between a curve. It is defined as the limit of riemann sums (for definite integrals). That is, make a bunch of rectangles to estimate the area of the graph, then send the width of each rectangle in the limit to 0 and sum them all up. One short cut in integration is:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \begin{equation*} \int x^n \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} + \mathcal{C} \end{equation*}

for n1n \neq -1.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cosv

what is your mathematics level please?
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
. It is defined as the limit of riemann sums.

b4.jpg
Reply 5
Original post by TeeEm
b4.jpg

:colondollar:
Original post by Zacken
It is defined as the limit of riemann sums (for definite integrals).

Henri Lebesgue est à la recherche pour vous. Il est très en colère.
Reply 7
Original post by Gregorius

Les mesures? C'est une beauté.

Et les nazis de la grammaire sont à la recherche de vous aussi, mon ami. Vous pouvez toujours courir, mais vous ne pouvez pas vous cacher!!!!
Reply 9
je suis une pomme de terre
Original post by atsruser
Et les nazis de la grammaire sont à la recherche de vous aussi, mon ami. Vous pouvez toujours courir, mais vous ne pouvez pas vous cacher!!!!

:colondollar: Teach me for trying to be clever. Distressed to see that the powers that be are trying to get rid of the circumflex. Is nothing sacred?
:colondollar: Teach me for trying to be clever. Distressed to see that the powers that be are trying to get rid of the circumflex. Is nothing sacred?

Don't worry - I've probably made a mistake somewhere too. Still, I can see that when it comes to modern developments in the French language, you clearly know your ognons.

But however are French people going to indicate exponentiation now? - that's what really worries me.

C'est le nivellement par le bas. Vraiment ça me soûle :pierre:
Reply 13
Mathmos are the best. :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest