The Student Room Group

Part time MBA?

Hi everybody, I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with a part time MBA. I'm wondering who exactly profits from such a program. For which branches is it? How many years of job experience do you need? After a couple of years on the job I'm looking for a career boost and I wonder if a part time MBA would be suitable. Thank you, Tati
Reply 1
If you are talking about a masters, they typically look for a graduate degree, before giving out a place on this program. But you would have to contact the relevant university you are thinking about applying to to confirm these details.
Reply 2
Original post by tatis
Hi everybody, I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with a part time MBA. I'm wondering who exactly profits from such a program. For which branches is it?

You can check course content online. It will vary between organisations, but you should be able to see which skills each might concentrate on.

How many years of job experience do you need?

I usually see a minimum of two, but you need to check. Each organisation can set their own specification. Frankly I'd be suspicious of any course which says less - an MBA builds on professional experience, rather than teaching from the ground up in the same way that a Business-based undergrad degree would.

After a couple of years on the job I'm looking for a career boost and I wonder if a part time MBA would be suitable

Very much depends on your field, so it's probably best to check career progression with your current enployer, and ask them about the opportunities which an MBA might bring.

As extreme examples, I came from the IT industry, where an MBA definitely gave you a better chance of climbing the management ladder. However I'm currently an archaeologist, where an MBA wiuld be of no interest whatsoever.
Reply 3
Thank you so much for the answer! You seem to have quite an interesting career :smile:.

I had a look around the internet as well and came across some more experiences (e.g. http://www.hhl.de/blog/en/part-time-mba-full-time-career/). I studied law and think it would be a good career choice...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending