The Student Room Group

interrailing????

have you ever been, is it worth it? im considering it in the summer with my boyfriend but im not sure..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My mates went and had a lot of fun. Preparation is a pain in the ass though, it's pretty much all low budget

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
My mates went and had a lot of fun. Preparation is a pain in the ass though, it's pretty much all low budget

Posted from TSR Mobile

their website is so confusing its putting me off because it seems like such a hassle haha, did they go all over or just to one country?
Reply 3
Original post by Justmoll28
their website is so confusing its putting me off because it seems like such a hassle haha, did they go all over or just to one country?

Usually interrailing is multiple countries e.g. Southern Europe/Northern Europe
Reply 4
Original post by Arkasia
Usually interrailing is multiple countries e.g. Southern Europe/Northern Europe

well on their site they do a package when you can just go to one country, im not sure whether i want to do it or not haha
well on their site they do a package when you can just go to one country, im not sure whether i want to do it or not haha

Sounds kind of boring that way. Why not just get the global ticket and then just go where you want? Forget plans and reservations, just explore and find places to stay as you go.
Reply 6
Original post by College_Dropout
Sounds kind of boring that way. Why not just get the global ticket and then just go where you want? Forget plans and reservations, just explore and find places to stay as you go.

i know im not sure, my boyfriend and I are going to travel in summer but we arent made of money
Reply 7
If you're going to do it, I would really recommend reserving places. My friends and I are going this summer too in July - around the peak season for tourism. So far the cheapest places that we've been looking at have been booked up. We're also looking at Airbnb but many of those places are vanishing rapidly as well.

How long do you want to do it for? We're going for three weeks (1st-23rdish) which has worked out at around a thousand, give or take a hundred depending on how comfortably we want to travel. That's about £15 a night for accommodation, £15 on food and some left over to buy tickets for museums, monuments, etc. Some days you'll live rough and do very little, others you may want to treat yourself - but make sure you're sticking to a weekly budget I'd say.

London - Lille - Amsterdam - Berlin - Munich - Salzburg - Florence - Italian West Coast - Milan - Paris - London is our rough itinerary (Milan and Paris are just changeovers). Some of these places are pricier than others, e.g. Florence is touristy and expensive but Berlin is quite good for students + the nightlife is supposed to be relatively cheap. Plus if you're in a city on a Sunday you can usually get into loads of events and buildings for free!

Would recommend buying an interrail ticket if you're hopping around lots like this, but also reserving seats on the train in advance which does come at an extra cost. And if it works out to be cheaper than spending a night in accommodation, use night trains to get from city to city. That way you get to wake up in the city and have a full day to spend there, rather than having a large 6 hour portion taken out of the day when travelling.

In spite of what everyone says, it's quite difficult to do impromptu train travel around Europe with little to no preparation, as I've been discovering :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by elen90
If you're going to do it, I would really recommend reserving places. My friends and I are going this summer too in July - around the peak season for tourism. So far the cheapest places that we've been looking at have been booked up. We're also looking at Airbnb but many of those places are vanishing rapidly as well.

How long do you want to do it for? We're going for three weeks (1st-23rdish) which has worked out at around a thousand, give or take a hundred depending on how comfortably we want to travel. That's about £15 a night for accommodation, £15 on food and some left over to buy tickets for museums, monuments, etc.

London - Lille - Amsterdam - Berlin - Munich - Salzburg - Florence - Italian West Coast - Milan - Paris - London is our rough itinerary (Milan and Paris are just changeovers). Some of these places are pricier than others, e.g. Florence is touristy and expensive but Berlin is quite good for students + the nightlife is supposed to be relatively cheap. Plus if you're in a city on a Sunday you can usually get into loads of events and buildings for free!

Would recommend buying an interrail ticket if you're hopping around lots like this, but also reserving seats on the train in advance which does come at an extra cost. And if it works out to be cheaper than spending a night in accommodation, use night trains to get from city to city. That way you get to wake up in the city and have a full day to spend there, rather than having a large 6 hour portion taken out of the day when travelling.

i dont think ive ever had a grand to spend in my whole life, guessing youre not a student then!
Reply 9
i dont think ive ever had a grand to spend in my whole life, guessing youre not a student then!

I'm seventeen haha, so I'm lucky enough to be able to scrounge off my parents whilst saving up money. But we are going for three weeks and trying to get lots done in that time so I think we're not the norm. The interrail tickets we're buying work out at 300. Eurostar is another 100. The rest has to go towards accommodation and food - it's all expensive!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elen90
I'm seventeen haha, so I'm lucky enough to be able to scrounge off my parents whilst saving up money. But we are going for three weeks and trying to get lots done in that time so I think we're not the norm.

do you work or have they paid for it all?
Reply 11
do you work or have they paid for it all?

I've been saving for some kind of travel since I was fifteen. I wasn't sure exactly what it was going towards but knew I was going to do something at the end of A-Levels.

I do lots of babysitting, regularly look after people's pets and had a Christmas full-time temp job throughout December and the beginning of January (which is going to pay for the bulk of this trip, I earned about 800 and only had 400 saved beforehand). This better be worth it :tongue:
Original post by elen90
I've been saving for some kind of travel since I was fifteen. I wasn't sure exactly what it was going towards but knew I was going to do something at the end of A-Levels.

I do lots of babysitting, regularly look after people's pets and had a Christmas full-time temp job throughout December and the beginning of January (which is going to pay for the bulk of this trip, I earned about 800 and only had 400 saved beforehand). This better be worth it :tongue:

fair enough but come September when you get to uni you might regret blowing it as you will be poor and i mean proper skint, like for example i have £40 to last me until mid march..
Reply 13
fair enough but come September when you get to uni you might regret blowing it as you will be poor and i mean proper skint, like for example i have £40 to last me until mid march..

I have contingency plans :wink:

(i.e. taking a gap yah to work full-time.)
Original post by elen90
I have contingency plans :wink:

(i.e. taking a gap yah to work full-time.)

work where though? haha
Reply 15
work where though? haha

Hopefully John Lewis as I have prior experience with them. If not I'll do a mad job hunt in August to nab something.

Supermarkets like Iceland actually pay well so I'll probably look into them.

We're getting a bit off topic now.
have you ever been, is it worth it? im considering it in the summer with my boyfriend but im not sure..

Yup, it was awesome--I went for a month. Parts were tough as we didn't book any accommodation at all but it was amazing to be that free to decide where to go every day
Original post by elen90
Hopefully John Lewis as I have prior experience with them. If not I'll do a mad job hunt in August to nab something.

Supermarkets like Iceland actually pay well so I'll probably look into them.

We're getting a bit off topic now.

check lidl, we pay quite well haha
A couple of girls I lived with at uni went after our first year and I regret not going with them. Money was a big concern at the time, but I think I could have made it work by getting a job sooner and being more careful with my spending.

If you're really concerned about the money (seems like you are), maybe save up and go next year instead. It will be hard to get the idea of interrailing out of your head but this year you could go on a sun holiday or a city break instead.
Original post by DarkMagic
A couple of girls I lived with at uni went after our first year and I regret not going with them. Money was a big concern at the time, but I think I could have made it work by getting a job sooner and being more careful with my spending.

If you're really concerned about the money (seems like you are), maybe save up and go next year instead. It will be hard to get the idea of interrailing out of your head but this year you could go on a sun holiday or a city break instead.

i might do just that haha

Quick Reply

Latest