The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
Yeah I definitely think whoever made that stat was perhaps being a bit harsh.
I would call a mistake something obvious like a fumble or like against Sunderland. I still haven't forgotten the embarrassing goal we conceded in the EL where Mignolet held the ball too long.

It isn't just one season; the guy is consistently making errors and costing us points. He hasn't displayed the quality we expected in the entire time he's been at Liverpool. I still can't get my head around us extending his contract for so long.

Mignolet aside, what has pissed me off most this season is the way we drop points. Let's be honest, we rarely get outclassed in matches yet still seem to draw/lose.
Recently for instance, we lost against Leicester and United yet in both games we definitely weren't outplayed.
We drop points and it's our own fault. We have more than enough to get the wins but never seem to bloody do it.

That's the main difference a top quality/clinical striker makes.
So far this season Leicester have played 30 games in all competitions and will play a total of 43 games.

We have played 39 games so far this season and will play at least 56 games (and counting depending on EL and FA cup progression).
Klopp on Sturridge: "We haven't decided on starting line up yet. He was fit enough to be on bench on Sat. Very impressive in Fri's session."

Klopp confirms that both Coutinho and Origi will also be in the squad tomorrow.

Klopp: "We have 38 players in our squad. We will make a squad for the game but it won't be like Exeter because other players can now play."

Liverpool planned Sturridge appearance - but all three will not start at West Ham
“We would have liked to, but the game had a different story with a few early changes.

“It’s complicated with changing so we have to look at who will start. They can’t start all together because the whole game would be too much for all three.”
Ranieri realises that Leicester can get away with playing at this high intensity the whole season due to no europe.

Liverpool did something similar in 13/14. I believe they will struggle badly next season with CL(I think they'll be in the top 2/3) and that would probably cause them to end up like Everton or Liverpool did in 14/15. This isn't even including the potential outing of Mahrez. I don't see any team(other than maybe you lot or maybe Spurs) going in for Vardy. Kante I'm not sure about either, Chelsea I guess are in need of a box to box midfielder, one wouldn't go amiss at Arsenal too with Wilshere forever injured.
Original post by jam277
Ranieri realises that Leicester can get away with playing at this high intensity the whole season due to no europe.

Liverpool did something similar in 13/14. I believe they will struggle badly next season with CL(I think they'll be in the top 2/3) and that would probably cause them to end up like Everton or Liverpool did in 14/15. This isn't even including the potential outing of Mahrez. I don't see any team(other than maybe you lot or maybe Spurs) going in for Vardy. Kante I'm not sure about either, Chelsea I guess are in need of a box to box midfielder, one wouldn't go amiss at Arsenal too with Wilshere forever injured.

Not sure how they always play but in the Liverpool/Leicester game, it was only really the front 3 players who pressed high up the pitch. The fact that Leicester's possession stats are so low I think reflects that they defend deep and play direct to Vardy.

Yea I think you're right about the second season being tough to follow up on. Is Vardy likely to go having just signed a new contract? Guess you can never say never if the price is right but at 29, I can't see clubs willing to spend 30mil+ on him.

Mahrez has a pretty long contract too to 2019 but he's move likely to push for a move imo and at 24, he's coming to his peak age.

I'd take Mahrez to play on the right flank at Liverpool.. he's not bad at set pieces too.
Could see Arsenal going in for Mahrez, they could use a quality RW.
Original post by jam277

Liverpool did something similar in 13/14.

It must be hard to go from getting so much time on the training pitch with players to having barely any. There was a stage last season where we were playing Saturday, Tuesday/Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday/Wednesday.

Bear in mind clubs and players need rest days, and you've basically got 24 hours to prepare for your next fixture. No wonder Rodgers ended up in his kitchen at 3am debating the pros and cons of going three at the back.
Original post by Zerforax
Not sure how they always play but in the Liverpool/Leicester game, it was only really the front 3 players who pressed high up the pitch. The fact that Leicester's possession stats are so low I think reflects that they defend deep and play direct to Vardy.

Yea I think you're right about the second season being tough to follow up on. Is Vardy likely to go having just signed a new contract? Guess you can never say never if the price is right but at 29, I can't see clubs willing to spend 30mil+ on him.

Mahrez has a pretty long contract too to 2019 but he's move likely to push for a move imo and at 24, he's coming to his peak age.

I'd take Mahrez to play on the right flank at Liverpool.. he's not bad at set pieces too.

Yeah they tend to play the front 2/3 in early in the big games. However the speed at which they transition(Kante in particular moving) and how they get at teams for periods will tire out the players. Furthermore the speed they get back when a team regains possession after they fail on a counter is remarkable.

A 30M bid for Vardy screams Liverpool FC anyway.

Yeah think with every team needing a RW in the top 6(Chelsea included) Mahrez is likely to leave fairly soon.
(edited 8 years ago)
The Mignolet situation desperately needs to be looked at.

We need to aim for a consistent presence in between the sticks. Mignolet is consistently fallible, and you can see the paranoia he spreads through the defence. I think we needy a steady presence, so can Ward PLEASE be used?

Mignolet makes the same mistakes - time and time again - so why on Earth are we persevering? I was actually cautiously optimistic after the Stoke semi-final, because I felt that could have acted as him turning a corner.
Branagan ill. Coutinho, Origi, Sturridge in contention for tomorrow. Will be a youthful side I guess.

Glad to see some of our injured players coming back.
Original post by jam277
Yeah they tend to play the front 2/3 in early in the big games. However the speed at which they transition(Kante in particular moving) and how they get at teams for periods will tire out the players. Furthermore the speed they get back when a team regains possession after they fail on a counter is remarkable.

A 30M bid for Vardy screams Liverpool FC anyway.

Yeah think with every team needing a RW in the top 6(Chelsea included) Mahrez is likely to leave fairly soon.

I might start watching Leicester league games considering the Liverpool ones are awful at the minute :colondollar:

Ugh Vardy would be another who wouldn't quite fit in for us. His strength is obviously to use his pace and strength whereas he wouldn't get any of that space playing for Liverpool. Even Aspas looked good for a side who defended deep.

Well I guess Mahrez won't be cheap. Can't see him going for less than 30mil?

Original post by Mackay
The Mignolet situation desperately needs to be looked at.

We need to aim for a consistent presence in between the sticks. Mignolet is consistently fallible, and you can see the paranoia he spreads through the defence. I think we needy a steady presence, so can Ward PLEASE be used?

Mignolet makes the same mistakes - time and time again - so why on Earth are we persevering? I was actually cautiously optimistic after the Stoke semi-final, because I felt that could have acted as him turning a corner.

Whoever was convinced he needed a 5 year contract still needs to be shot. It still makes me angry that we couldn't just give him a 2 year extension.

Original post by mr tim
Branagan ill. Coutinho, Origi, Sturridge in contention for tomorrow. Will be a youthful side I guess.

Glad to see some of our injured players coming back.

I think Klopp said it will be stronger than what we fielded against Exeter. Obviously we've got more options now with players coming back.
I might start watching Leicester league games considering the Liverpool ones are awful at the minute :colondollar:

Ugh Vardy would be another who wouldn't quite fit in for us. His strength is obviously to use his pace and strength whereas he wouldn't get any of that space playing for Liverpool. Even Aspas looked good for a side who defended deep.

Well I guess Mahrez won't be cheap. Can't see him going for less than 30mil?

Whoever was convinced he needed a 5 year contract still needs to be shot. It still makes me angry that we couldn't just give him a 2 year extension.

I think Klopp said it will be stronger than what we fielded against Exeter. Obviously we've got more options now with players coming back.

I'm planning to re-watch all the goals we've conceded this year at some stage, in a bid to try and find out just how many he could've saved.
Simply not interested in watching west ham vs LFC.

Whens the UCL returning ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Be interesting to see how we deal with tomorrow, given the weekend's disappointment. No wins in four matches against West Ham throughout the season wouldn't make good reading. Surely that's the first time in our history that would have happened?
Original post by AsandaLFC
Simply not interested in watching west ham vs LFC.

Whens the UCL returning ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

strong fan
Original post by difeo
strong fan

I'll watch it and declare myself to be "so done" when we throw the game away in the last 10 minutes.

That's what being a fan is all about...
Goals we've conceded where Mignolet should have saved (I'm being generous here, too) off the top of my head: Martin, Gestede, Mane, Dann, Dawson, Naismith, Ramsey, Giroud, Rooney, A Johnson, Assifuah from Sion.
Original post by Mackay
Goals we've conceded where Mignolet should have saved (I'm being generous here, too) off the top of my head: Martin, Gestede, Mane, Dann, Dawson, Naismith, Ramsey, Giroud, Rooney, A Johnson, Assifuah from Sion.

That's an impressive list. We should make a DVD of Mignolet's Liverpool career mistakes :colondollar:
That's an impressive list. We should make a DVD of Mignolet's Liverpool career mistakes :colondollar:

It would have to be split on to 8 discs...
Original post by Mackay

Rooney one is a bit harsh imo, it was smashed from 5 yards away and still had to readjust after the ball came off the bar, was just unlucky really as the ball could have gone anywhere.

Latest