The Student Room Group

Funding for NHS courses

If you're thinking of studying an NHS course, you can ask Kim and Darren your questions about student finance.

Kim works as a Policy Advisor for NHS Student Bursaries. She has more than 16 years' experience.

Darren has been a member of the NHS Student Bursaries Team since 2002. He’s responsible for producing training material and training staff.

They are here to answer your questions on a range of NHS funding, including eligibility, Practice Placement Expenses, Social Work Bursaries, NHS Bursary Scheme Rules and Policy, NHS Bursary assessment and award calculation.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hello, my name is tara and im a graduate. i was thinking of applying to do nursing and wondering about funding. my first year as a undergradute was in nursing then change my course and completed a ba in childhood and youth. would i still get funding from the nhs if i were to reapply for nursing? any help please
Hello, I'm applying to study BSc Occupational therapy as a mature student and have previously had a student loan plus a career development loan. I'm aware that students on NHS funded courses can normally apply for a reduced maintenance loan from SLC in addition to the NHS bursary but I'm not sure whether I will be eligible to do so, having already has a loan from SLC? I'm a bit concerned about how I will be able to cover my living costs without an additional loan. I also wanted to ask how the bursary amount will be calculated? I'm currently in full time employment but will obviously be leaving my job to go back to University and so will have no income.
Reply 3
Hi,
I have applied for Speech and Language Therapy at City University in London, which is an NHS funded course. If I do not succeed in my application ( as I am still waiting for my offers) , I will go through clearing for another course at this particular university as I really want to go there. However the alternative courses will not be NHS funded , and will require me to take out a student loan for my tuition fees. Do I still apply for a student loan , just in case I don't get into City University and have to pursue a course that costs £9,000 ? I do not want to leave it till the last minute.
Hi,
I have applied and got conditional offers for 2 universitys for adult nursing, I would like to know how do i go about applying for the bursary as if i do not meet the conditions i will not be going this year. Also i have two children aged 6 and 2 can you tell me what i can apply for financially.

Thankyou
There are two parts to my question. I am a 4th year medical student and have applied for my non-means tested loan for the past 4 years. This year I have moved in with my fiance and am living in non-student accommodation. I need to apply for my funding for my final year which commences in June 2016.

1. I will be applying for my NHS bursary covering tuition fees for my final year but will not have any other funding support - how will this affect my maintenance loan from student finance? when is best to apply and what do I need to do differently on the form?

2. I will be getting married in January of the next academic year (my final year), I believe this will change my status to an independent student? - how will this affect my funding and what will I need to do to inform you? (my father's income is above the threshold for a grant but my fiance is in the bottom category of less than 20k for a grant)
Original post by riva123
hello, my name is tara and im a graduate. i was thinking of applying to do nursing and wondering about funding. my first year as a undergradute was in nursing then change my course and completed a ba in childhood and youth. would i still get funding from the nhs if i were to reapply for nursing? any help please

Hi Tara,

Thank you for your question. You may still get NHS Bursary funding if you previously only did one year of a NHS course and didnt qualify as a nurse. NHS Bursaries will still be available to new students up until 1 August 2017, when NHS students will move onto the Student Loan system. So if you apply for a course before then, a bursary should be available to you.

For more information, have a look at our website: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/816.aspx

Many thanks

Kim Stephenson
Reply 7
Original post by Student Money Week
If you're thinking of studying an NHS course, you can ask Kim and Darren your questions about student finance.

Kim works as a Policy Advisor for NHS Student Bursaries. She has more than 16 years' experience.

Darren has been a member of the NHS Student Bursaries Team since 2002. He’s responsible for producing training material and training staff.

They are here to answer your questions on a range of NHS funding, including eligibility, Practice Placement Expenses, Social Work Bursaries, NHS Bursary Scheme Rules and Policy, NHS Bursary assessment and award calculation.

Hi I am going to be starting a (graduate entry)(4 yr) dentistry course in September and wondered what the NHS funding will be starting this year towards tuition fees. I also wondered about the NHS bursaries and/or grants? we will receive please.

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi I'm a mature student, wanting to study Occupational Therapy. I currently work but will have to give it up, for the duration of the course. I know that the April 2017 intake is the last course funded by the NHS, as they are pulling funding from August 2017.

I would like to know how best to make use of the bursaries and other financial help available to me.
Original post by MJEdwards
Hello, I'm applying to study BSc Occupational therapy as a mature student and have previously had a student loan plus a career development loan. I'm aware that students on NHS funded courses can normally apply for a reduced maintenance loan from SLC in addition to the NHS bursary but I'm not sure whether I will be eligible to do so, having already has a loan from SLC? I'm a bit concerned about how I will be able to cover my living costs without an additional loan. I also wanted to ask how the bursary amount will be calculated? I'm currently in full time employment but will obviously be leaving my job to go back to University and so will have no income.

Hi,

Many thanks for your question.

Unfortunately I cant advise about Student lonas - so you may wish to direct your query about loan eligibility to the webchat 'How your previous study affects you' - which is taking place later today at 1pm.

Information about how bursaries are calculated is available on the NHS Student Bursaries website - try our Bursary Award Estimate calculator to find out how much you may be entitled to: https://apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/SGUBursary/

I hope this is helpful

Many thanks.
Original post by ruhanis
Hi,
I have applied for Speech and Language Therapy at City University in London, which is an NHS funded course. If I do not succeed in my application ( as I am still waiting for my offers) , I will go through clearing for another course at this particular university as I really want to go there. However the alternative courses will not be NHS funded , and will require me to take out a student loan for my tuition fees. Do I still apply for a student loan , just in case I don't get into City University and have to pursue a course that costs £9,000 ? I do not want to leave it till the last minute.

Hi
I am unable to advise on whether you should apply for a full student loan as I am only able to advise on NHS Student Bursaries. It would probably be better if you raise this in the next session following this one "Are you eligible for student finance?" from 12-1pm today.

Thank you
Darren
Hi there,
I just had a question about GEM funding.
If I complete a Msc (After my BSc in Biomed) would I still be eligible for the GEM funding? (Pay 1st, and NHS 2,3, and 4)

Thanks
Original post by Wanttobeanurse
Hi,
I have applied and got conditional offers for 2 universitys for adult nursing, I would like to know how do i go about applying for the bursary as if i do not meet the conditions i will not be going this year. Also i have two children aged 6 and 2 can you tell me what i can apply for financially.

Thankyou

Hi

Please see the NHS Student Bursary website for details of when and how to apply: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/5431.aspx

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to apply for means tested Dependents, Parent Learning and Childcare Allowances. More infomration about all aspects of Bursary funding can be found on our Ask Us Service - http://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/selfnhsukokb/AskUs_SB/template-group.do

I hope you find this helpful :smile:

Kim
Original post by harbridge1
There are two parts to my question. I am a 4th year medical student and have applied for my non-means tested loan for the past 4 years. This year I have moved in with my fiance and am living in non-student accommodation. I need to apply for my funding for my final year which commences in June 2016.

1. I will be applying for my NHS bursary covering tuition fees for my final year but will not have any other funding support - how will this affect my maintenance loan from student finance? when is best to apply and what do I need to do differently on the form?

2. I will be getting married in January of the next academic year (my final year), I believe this will change my status to an independent student? - how will this affect my funding and what will I need to do to inform you? (my father's income is above the threshold for a grant but my fiance is in the bottom category of less than 20k for a grant)

Hi
Medical students are able to apply for the NHS Bursary at our website http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/816.aspx
You may be able to apply for a reduced student loan as well as a bursary but you will need to speak to Student Loans about this.
If you are not already deemed to be an independent student you will be assessed on your spouses income once you are married. You will need to make a new application at this point to enable us to reassess your entitlement, from the date of your marriage until the end of the academic year.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you

Darren
Original post by xHC
Hi I am going to be starting a (graduate entry)(4 yr) dentistry course in September and wondered what the NHS funding will be starting this year towards tuition fees. I also wondered about the NHS bursaries and/or grants? we will receive please.

Thanks

Hi there,

Unfortunately NHS Bursary funding is not available to Graduate Entry Medical and Dental students in the first year of study. In your first year you would need to apply for a student loan and/or help with your tuition fees.

However, Bursaries are available for Grad-entry students from Years 2 to 4 of the course, so you would need to apply to us just before your second year of study.

For more information about NHS Bursaries, have a look at our website:http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/816.aspx

- and for more specific queries, why not try our Ask Us service, which is available 24 hours a day , 7 days a week: http://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/selfnhsukokb/AskUs_SB/template-group.do

I hope this is helpful :smile:
Kim
Original post by cperkinns2
Hi there,
I just had a question about GEM funding.
If I complete a Msc (After my BSc in Biomed) would I still be eligible for the GEM funding? (Pay 1st, and NHS 2,3, and 4)

Thanks

Hi

Many thanks for your question. If you complete an MSc before you start on a Graduate Entry Medicine course, this would not affect any NHS Bursary funding you could be entitled to.

I hope that answers your question. However if you need any more information, we are back to answer more NHS Bursary queries on Thursday 11th Feb, between 3-4pm.

Many thanks :smile:
Kim
Original post by jasmindesylva
Hi I'm a mature student, wanting to study Occupational Therapy. I currently work but will have to give it up, for the duration of the course. I know that the April 2017 intake is the last course funded by the NHS, as they are pulling funding from August 2017.

I would like to know how best to make use of the bursaries and other financial help available to me.

Hi

NHS Bursaries will no longer be available from 1 August 2017 after this date a student loan will apply.
Information on the current bursary available and how to apply is available on our website http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/816.aspx
We also have a number of calculators available which can give you an estimate of the bursary which may be available to you at the following link http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/3941.aspx

Thank you

Darren
Reply 17
Hi i am in year 13 hoping to start medicine in September 2016 and i would like to know what bursaries i can apply for and when theae applications will open?
Thank you
Original post by RedLeaf
Hi i am in year 13 hoping to start medicine in September 2016 and i would like to know what bursaries i can apply for and when theae applications will open?
Thank you

Hi there and thank you for your query.

At the moment, NHS Bursaries are only availalbe to students in the fifth year of their undergraduate medicine degree.

In future we don't know if NHS Bursaries will exist after around 2020, so it may be that only student loans are available to you by the time you start a medical course.

Thank you :smile:
Kim
Kim and Darren will be back on Thursday between 3 and 4 to answer any more questions you've got on NHS funding in this live webchat.

Latest

Trending

Trending