The Student Room Group

Why is the best music overwhelmingly made by men?

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by difeo
Discuss.

Because you're not the best judge of music.
Why are there two threads for this?

*Askingtherealquestions*
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Because you're not the best judge of music.

What about every website and magazine that's ever written a list of best albums?

Original post by flyingpanda
Why are there two threads for this?*Askingtherealquestions*
I posted here and then realised this forum is inactive compared to chat
It's not.

Lana Del Rey, Amy Winehouse, etc. etc.

Also - down to individual taste.
because women are more culturally mundane/mediocre (and therefore, aren't risk takers) - it's the same reason women are much less funny than men - they aren't as bold and they take themselves too seriously, safe in their comfort zones. not sexism, simply a fact. there are exceptions, obviously. but generally, women are more pampered than men so they aren't willing to take risks like men. same reason there are both more homeless and very wealthy men than women of those two categories.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ivybridge
It's not.

Lana Del Rey, Amy Winehouse, etc. etc.

Also - down to individual taste.

Two artists prove nothing.

Yes but in most people's taste, men produce the best music.
Reply 7
Rap is the one genre where there isn't a good female artist that comes to mind...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by difeo
What about every website and magazine that's ever written a list of best albums?

wow such overwhelming evidence:indiff:
Original post by Andy98
Rap is the one genre where there isn't a good female artist that comes to mind...

Posted from TSR Mobile
wtf?

(That's a hint as well as an exclamation of disbelief)
Original post by difeo
Two artists prove nothing.

Yes but in most people's taste, men produce the best music.

Hardly? I listen because I like what I'm listening to and not because of the gender of the artist. Conveniently, most of my playlist is female.
Guy's push the boundaries, take risks, innovate and wanna get laid. (Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll - Ian Drury).

Girl's want the limelight and approbation but rarely innovate or take big risks. (Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cindy Lauper).

Oh and there's this thing called settling down and having children which apparently girls like to do. There are exceptions to both.

It's simply evolution and accordingly human nature.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
wow such overwhelming evidence:indiff:

Look at the best selling albums, look at people with the most Grammys, literally any metric... the premise of the question really isn't up for debate, it's pretty obvious
Reply 13
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was Lauryn Hill but she disappeared, Nicki had potential, but yeah there's not many at all. I know nothing about the genre but metal is probably the same.
Reply 14
Original post by ivybridge
Hardly? I listen because I like what I'm listening to and not because of the gender of the artist. Conveniently, most of my playlist is female.

Okay so you have unusual tastes. This is about the general opinion though.
I don't agree with you...
Reply 16
Original post by XOR_
I don't agree with you...

Tell me a single metric by which women would make most of the best music (sales, critical reception, awards, etc.)?
Original post by difeo
Look at the best selling albums, look at people with the most Grammys, literally any metric... the premise of the question really isn't up for debate, it's pretty obvious

Popularity and history isn't necessarily a good measure of who IS (not was) making the best music
Original post by uberteknik
Guy's push the boundaries, take risks, innovate and wanna get laid. (Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll - Ian Drury).

Girl's want the limelight and approbation but rarely innovate or take big risks. (Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cindy Lauper).

Oh and there's this thing called settling down and having children which apparently girls like to do. There are exceptions to both.

It's simply evolution and accordingly human nature.

:colonhash:
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
Popularity and history isn't necessarily a good measure of who IS (not was) making the best music

I meant all music ever rather just right now, but it's true for the present day too. Popularity and critical reception together definitely are a good measure of who's making better music, and it's not even close on both counts:
http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-artist-albums-of-2015-revealed__13273/
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/score/metascore/year/filtered?year_selected=2015

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending