The Student Room Group

How do i find the deeper meaning in English Lit?

Hi, I don't understand what a ''deeper meaning" is, and my teacher says that in my essays im exploring the "surface meaning" which is causing my grades to fluctuate between a C and D. I really want to get a grade above a C in the finals. So it would really help if someone can explain the difference and give a method of understanding the deeper meaning.
Authorial Intent? or Key themes? I'm not sure, I did lit last year
I think it's like surface meaning is what the author is telling you about the characters or place or whatever is being described and deeper meaning is to do with why they want you to know that
Hi :smile:
I'm studying English Lit too, A-Level, and it definitely can be tough to identify the hidden meaning in a text.
First of all, are you studying A-Level or GCSE?
Think of connotations you can make with words and phrases. What themes might "blue" for example be related to? Depression/sadness?
Reply 5
Infer

Original post by Plut0nuim
Hi, I don't understand what a ''deeper meaning" is, and my teacher says that in my essays im exploring the "surface meaning" which is causing my grades to fluctuate between a C and D. I really want to get a grade above a C in the finals. So it would really help if someone can explain the difference and give a method of understanding the deeper meaning.

Infer
Nick everyone else's ideas and write them better. :cool:

It really is the key to getting an A, at least at GCSE.

But mostly just think about ALL the different ways a sentence could be interpreted. Think about the emotions of the author and just what they are trying to portray within their words, but then look at other ideas they're trying to writee across.

Basically, get into the mindset of the writer, as most of the stuff you need to write about is what kind of effect they're trying to create. (At least at GCSE, I stupidly decided to drop it and not take it for AS :frown: )
Reply 7
I've always been taught, and thought, that the best way to find a deeper meaning in a text is to take a quote from the text and pick out all the key words. From these words try and look up meanings, for instance other things they could suggest other than the obvious. Why would the author use those words exactly? Is he trying to say two things at once. From one quote you can gathers loads of information and they try and relate that information back to the overall themes in the text. Try and find how that quote could be explaining a major emotion the character or author is trying to express. Sorry if I'm rambling-i used to have trouble with going really deep inside a text and I found that this really helped.x ( I took lit at GCSE, AS and A2)
Reply 8
Original post by QueenOfSheba
Hi :smile:
I'm studying English Lit too, A-Level, and it definitely can be tough to identify the hidden meaning in a text.
First of all, are you studying A-Level or GCSE?

I'm doing IGCSE
Reply 9
Hello,
I am studying GCSE as well. I think you need to get the meaning beyond the actual meaning of the word, e.g. "This pen is a real friend," it does not mean that their friend is a pen but they are really lonely and isolated with no social contact and the only joy they get is through writing whatever or whoever they write to.
I hope this will help.
Good Luck to all the student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending