The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE vs UCL

Hi All,

I am lucky enough an offer-holder for both LSE's BA in Geography and UCL's new BASc degree. I know this is not a bad problem to have, but I am really having trouble choosing my favourite. I get the general impression that LSE will get me where I want to go but at the cost of a pretty boring and very tough three years. UCL looks like more of a risk in terms of after the course but maybe more enjoyable? Does anyone who has undertaken these courses have any advice or LSE/UCL students more generally have any words of wisdom? Many thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by MuddyBlondie
Hi All,

I am lucky enough an offer-holder for both LSE's BA in Geography and UCL's new BASc degree. I know this is not a bad problem to have, but I am really having trouble choosing my favourite. I get the general impression that LSE will get me where I want to go but at the cost of a pretty boring and very tough three years. UCL looks like more of a risk in terms of after the course but maybe more enjoyable? Does anyone who has undertaken these courses have any advice or LSE/UCL students more generally have any words of wisdom? Many thanks in advance

Tough? Yes. Boring? No.

I would compare modules and see which ones interest you more, the LSE is only Human Geography as far as I'm aware?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Jamie S
Tough? Yes. Boring? No.

I would compare modules and see which ones interest you more, the LSE is only Human Geography as far as I'm aware?

Thanks for the reply :smile: What keeps LSE exciting then?
The Geog course is all human which is great! Are you a student there? And do you have any mates doing it? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply :smile: What keeps LSE exciting then?
The Geog course is all human which is great! Are you a student there? And do you have any mates doing it? Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you truly love your subject, LSE will be exiting and a dynamic place. The speakers are the best in the country, for my subject I've heard talks by the authors of books I read when at secondary school (e.g. Thomas Picketty - capital in the 21st century). Every one is smart and pushes you, but in a way that challenges what you think rather than pressures you.

Yes, I study Government and Economics. Sorry I don't :/
Reply 4
Original post by Jamie S
If you truly love your subject, LSE will be exiting and a dynamic place. The speakers are the best in the country, for my subject I've heard talks by the authors of books I read when at secondary school (e.g. Thomas Picketty - capital in the 21st century). Every one is smart and pushes you, but in a way that challenges what you think rather than pressures you.

Yes, I study Government and Economics. Sorry I don't :/

Sounds right up my street! Thanks for your help. Any tips on the best accommodation (that isn't crazy expensive)!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Sounds right up my street! Thanks for your help. Any tips on the best accommodation (that isn't crazy expensive)!?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at Bankside and I love it, very sociable etc. Can't speak for many others.
UCL is more reputable, especially for Geography.
Original post by Jamie S
I'm at Bankside and I love it, very sociable etc. Can't speak for many others.

Hi, I was wondering, when you applied for bankside through hallpad, how did you choose ensuite as the form says "single or single ensuite, a room on my own" did you choose the 211-240 price range which eliminates just a single room? or was it the "i want my own bathroom" consideration which meant you got an ensuite?thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by coolguy123456
Hi, I was wondering, when you applied for bankside through hallpad, how did you choose ensuite as the form says "single or single ensuite, a room on my own" did you choose the 211-240 price range which eliminates just a single room? or was it the "i want my own bathroom" consideration which meant you got an ensuite?thanks!

Yeah, my preferred price range was one of those and I put "I want my own bathroom" as my first preference and "I want catering" as my second. Apply really early and you should get it :smile:
Original post by Jamie S
Yeah, my preferred price range was one of those and I put "I want my own bathroom" as my first preference and "I want catering" as my second. Apply really early and you should get it :smile:

Ah right, that's great thanks! I think this year's applications will open in a week or two.
Original post by coolguy123456
Ah right, that's great thanks! I think this year's applications will open in a week or two.

be ready!
Original post by Jamie S
be ready!

Haha yeah I've looked over last year's form and decided on accommodation so it's a quick affair once accommodation is open this year
Hi Guys,
I'm still to receive a response from either uni (near the end of the 8 week period for LSE), but just wondered what you guys thought of my chances. Also, if you guys could maybe suggest which one I'm more likely to get into if that's possible to judge.
GCSE: 10A* 1A
AS: 4A, EPQ still to be marked but should be at least an A
Here's the thing. I started doing AS Further Maths on the side, but my teachers thought I should drop it as they thought A2 Maths would be enough of a challenge. However, I had already finished FP1 by this stage, and so I indicated on my application that I know this module very well. Will that count for anything?
Cheers guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending