The Student Room Group

What is A-Level Gov and Politics like?

^^

Scroll to see replies

You need a good memory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find it boring but interesting (sitting it a year early)
Reply 3
Original post by hxfsxh
^^

AMAZING!

(yes you do need a good memory, and you need to be able to form opinions on stuff you have no care or consideration for)
Original post by jamestg
AMAZING!

(yes you do need a good memory, and you need to be able to form opinions on stuff you have no care or consideration for)

Do you think it would coincide well with History?
Reply 5
Original post by hxfsxh
Do you think it would coincide well with History?

Very well, I do both history and politics :smile:
Original post by jamestg
Very well, I do both history and politics :smile:

Cool :tongue: I'm planning to take both next year :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by hxfsxh
Cool :tongue: I'm planning to take both next year :smile:

Have fun! What other subjects will you be doing?
Original post by jamestg
Have fun! What other subjects will you be doing?

Economics, French and an EPQ just for fun :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by hxfsxh

Sounds like a good mix to me!
Original post by hxfsxh
^^

Sad people - love Politics, although it may depend on your teacher but even with one of the two teachers I have it's great craic, not confusing like Biology or the way History gets with evidence and dates and names, not a lot of those, quite fun :smile:
Goes great with History but I'd warn ye about History - I decided not to take it because they told us we'd have to do stuff like 4,000 word essays but my friends didn't...they regret it.
Not to mention the fact that they're doing boring stuff like the Industrial Revolution and India.
Original post by DMcGovern
Sad people - love Politics, although it may depend on your teacher but even with one of the two teachers I have it's great craic, not confusing like Biology or the way History gets with evidence and dates and names, not a lot of those, quite fun :smile:
Goes great with History but I'd warn ye about History - I decided not to take it because they told us we'd have to do stuff like 4,000 word essays but my friends didn't...they regret it.
Not to mention the fact that they're doing boring stuff like the Industrial Revolution and India.

I love History and I'm quite into my politics!
And it must be a different exam board- I'm doing Tsarist and Communist Russia with Post-war Britain :smile:
Current A2 poltics student here:smile: Politics is one of those subjects you either love or you hate and that will determine your results. I love politics in general and I love revising for it. But the Edexcel AS UK Politics unit was unbearably dull but it was manageable. Now that we're doing A2 Global Politics, debates are much more needed and the content is always upbeat and intresting. My advise is to stay with Politics- it's very rewarding.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Reader106
Current A2 poltics student here:smile: Politics is one of those subjects you either love or you hate and that will determine your results. I love politics in general and I love revising for it. But the Edexcel AS UK Politics unit was unbearably dull but it was manageable. Now that we're doing A2 Global Politics, debates are much more needed and the content is always upbeat and intresting. My advise is to stay with Politics- it's very rewarding.

We've got a very lively, young teacher for politics whom everyone loves so I don't think I'd find much dull :biggrin: However, thanks for your input :smile:
Original post by hxfsxh
We've got a very lively, young teacher for politics whom everyone loves so I don't think I'd find much dull :biggrin: However, thanks for your input :smile:

That's great then:smile: My teacher literally sucked the soul and enthusiasm out of the students. The attitude of the teacher really determines the energy of the class:biggrin: how are you finiding it?
Original post by Reader106
That's great then:smile: My teacher literally sucked the soul and enthusiasm out of the students. The attitude of the teacher really determines the energy of the class:biggrin: how are you finiding it?

Well, I'm starting it in September but I've been to a few introductory sessions and its actually really interesting! My dad is really involved in politics and I attend quite a lot of political dinners to listen to campaigns etc. so I know a fair bit about politics in general.
My physics teacher sounds a lot like the teacher you just described- no wonder I'm always half asleep in her lessons :biggrin:
Hi,
If you're really interested in government and politics, make sure you are FULLY up to date with current affairs, because you will be using these examples in your essays- which make you hit the most marks because the examiners think you're really up to date and totally clever, lol.
I suggest doing government and politics only if you really ENJOY the subject, because at times it can get a bit tedious- like, i'm not gonna lie, I find Electoral Systems SOOOOOOO LONG- especially because you have to memorise (oh yeah lots of memorising) lots and lots of figures from previous election results, e.g. Conservatives won 12 seat majority in 2015, UKIP won 1 seat, etc etc etc. But, yeah it is really interesting and you seem like you would enjoy it if you're doing History A-Level, too, because they compliment each other really well- trust me- i'm the only one who didn't do History GCSE in my class and I struggle at times- but its ok tbh.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK (sorry if I waffled loads, lol) :biggrin:
Original post by IRoranth
Hi,
If you're really interested in government and politics, make sure you are FULLY up to date with current affairs, because you will be using these examples in your essays- which make you hit the most marks because the examiners think you're really up to date and totally clever, lol.
I suggest doing government and politics only if you really ENJOY the subject, because at times it can get a bit tedious- like, i'm not gonna lie, I find Electoral Systems SOOOOOOO LONG- especially because you have to memorise (oh yeah lots of memorising) lots and lots of figures from previous election results, e.g. Conservatives won 12 seat majority in 2015, UKIP won 1 seat, etc etc etc. But, yeah it is really interesting and you seem like you would enjoy it if you're doing History A-Level, too, because they compliment each other really well- trust me- i'm the only one who didn't do History GCSE in my class and I struggle at times- but its ok tbh.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK (sorry if I waffled loads, lol) :biggrin:

Dw, it was decent waffle :biggrin:
That's helpful though- I'm really good at memorising and I'm up to date, so I think I'll be good :smile:
Original post by hxfsxh

:h: I will be taking History, Politics, French and Latin next year!
I will also do an EPQ.:smile:
Original post by hxfsxh
I love History and I'm quite into my politics!
And it must be a different exam board- I'm doing Tsarist and Communist Russia with Post-war Britain :smile:

Im doing the exact same with AQA. We can be history buddies maybe? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest