The Student Room Group

Thinking of getting a kindle, advice please?

I'm thinking of getting a kindle so I'm wondering who would recommend one? I was thinking it might be easier to read on because I used to read a lot but now I find myself putting it off annoyingly and I'm thinking if I have it on a touchscreen I can just scroll through without paying attention to how much more I have to read. Which is best to get? Does it matter if it has a built in light or not? I would like to buy one and not have to pay further payments which some seem to have. I just want to pay once. Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've got a Kobo H20, and it's great. Bit on the expensive side for e-readers at about £130, but I've had it for well over a year now and I prefer it to my kindles. The light isn't so white as the paper-white and i prefer it more natural - feels more like reading a book. The screen is a bit bigger too.

Also, its waterproof and I do a lot of reading in the bath. So that's great.

Kindles seem to be getting more and more restrictive with self-loading content (you can still do it easily enough with Calibre) but I wanted to put library books on, and Kobo supports EPUB which is a standard format. I can easily put Amazon books on if they are cheaper there too.

I have to say, Amazon customer service was very good when I had a kindle though. (They replaced for free, no-questions asked when I sat on it and broke the screen, even though it was clearly my fault). That's the one thing I miss.
Reply 2
I've had a Kindle for around five years now and I love them. I'm on my second one as I accidentally broke the screen on my first one after having it for four years. I currently have the Kindle 6" Touchscreen in white from Amazon for £60. I use Calibre (PC software) to convert ebooks I download from ePub to mobi and place them on my Kindle. You also have access to the Kindle Store which has loads of books on, both free or ones you can pay for.

I would definitely recommend getting one, and if you foresee yourself reading a lot at night then I'd suggest one with a light attached or buy a light separately. You can skip to wherever you want within each book, highlight favourite quotes and it shows you a % bar at the bottom to show how far along in the book you are. For £60 it's a pretty handy gadget!
Kobo > Kindle :biggrin:
Original post by Katarvi
I've had a Kindle for around five years now and I love them. I'm on my second one as I accidentally broke the screen on my first one after having it for four years. I currently have the Kindle 6" Touchscreen in white from Amazon for £60. I use Calibre (PC software) to convert ebooks I download from ePub to mobi and place them on my Kindle. You also have access to the Kindle Store which has loads of books on, both free or ones you can pay for.

I would definitely recommend getting one, and if you foresee yourself reading a lot at night then I'd suggest one with a light attached or buy a light separately. You can skip to wherever you want within each book, highlight favourite quotes and it shows you a % bar at the bottom to show how far along in the book you are. For £60 it's a pretty handy gadget!

Thank you for your answer. Although that version doesn't have a backlight can you still read on it in the dark?
Reply 5
Original post by pinkstudent63
Thank you for your answer. Although that version doesn't have a backlight can you still read on it in the dark?

No, you'd need a lamp or buy a clip on light. This isn't a problem for me personally, so I don't mind so much.
I'm thinking of getting a kindle so I'm wondering who would recommend one? I was thinking it might be easier to read on because I used to read a lot but now I find myself putting it off annoyingly and I'm thinking if I have it on a touchscreen I can just scroll through without paying attention to how much more I have to read. Which is best to get? Does it matter if it has a built in light or not? I would like to buy one and not have to pay further payments which some seem to have. I just want to pay once. Thank you.

I got the cheapest model available on Amazon just before Christmas - it's fantastic :lol: . I can keep a whole library of free and cheap books on something not much bigger than a slice of bread.

Pros:
- Battery life is exceptional
- Price is incredibly cheap
- Fairly sturdy. It gets squashed in my book for hours on end and seems to have survived.
- Relatively small size means it's light and transportable.
- Incredibly clear text, with changeable font size.
- Gives you an 'estimated reading time' for each chapter/book (useful when I know I have a 20 minute bus journey :teehee: )

Cons:
- Need to read in a well-lit area.
- Finger prints on the touch screen :indiff:
- Cover price can be, like, half the actual unit price.
- Could have a more intuitive menu.

I have the WiFi only one - not a problem for me as I'm at home a lot :tongue: . I also have the one with adverts - that just refers to adverts on the home screen... there are NO adverts whilst actually reading the books, so it's not particularly intrusive.

I find it a wonderful machine :awesome:
Original post by Nirgilis
I got the cheapest model available on Amazon just before Christmas - it's fantastic :lol: . I can keep a whole library of free and cheap books on something not much bigger than a slice of bread.

Pros:
- Fairly sturdy. It gets squashed in my book for hours on end and seems to have survived.
- Gives you an 'estimated reading time' for each chapter/book (useful when I know I have a 20 minute bus journey :teehee: )

Cons:

I have the WiFi only one - not a problem for me as I'm at home a lot :tongue: . I also have the one with adverts - that just refers to adverts on the home screen... there are NO adverts whilst actually reading the books, so it's not particularly intrusive.

Thank you for such an in depth review. The kindle paperweight seems to be a bit better for the light issue, just annoying it's a lot of money. I think the cases should come with the kindle, does a charger come with it? Do you have to clean the screen a lot? I didn't think about fingerprints! I thought that the books were mainly 99p-1.99 on kindle but the ones I've looked at seem to be a little cheaper than the actual books
I have an old Kindle - the unlit one with a keyboard. If I were to buy one now I'd still buy one without a light because it's cheaper (they're cheaper now than when I bought mine - I think around £60? sometimes even cheaper when Amazon have a deal on) and I've found it hadn't hindered me at all that I don't have a light on it. I'd really rather not be reading a backlit screen in bed because my eyes already hate me for staring at laptop/phone screens all day. And the basic Kindle is awesome because you don't have the Internet on it (to browse - you can obviously connect to wifi to download books). That means less distractions from reading. If I want to read at night I just leave a light on or put a lamp on, because it feels easier on my eyes that way.

I've bought so many Kindle books over the 4-ish years I've had it, and would say it's well worth it. I get most of my books for cheaper than they would be otherwise and sometimes I pay full price for a book just because it saves room. If I had all the books I have on my Kindle in physical form I'd have a library on my hands and I don't want to clean a library or find myself sleeping on books because I have no room.
Reply 9
Original post by Nirgilis

Pros:

Cons:

Sounds like we have the same Kindle! Dat cover price tho. £35 for mine, but it was worth it.
Original post by mscaffrey
I have an old Kindle - the unlit one with a keyboard. If I were to buy one now I'd still buy one without a light because it's cheaper (they're cheaper now than when I bought mine - I think around £60? sometimes even cheaper when Amazon have a deal on) and I've found it hadn't hindered me at all that I don't have a light on it. I'd really rather not be reading a backlit screen in bed because my eyes already hate me for staring at laptop/phone screens all day. And the basic Kindle is awesome because you don't have the Internet on it (to browse - you can obviously connect to wifi to download books). That means less distractions from reading. If I want to read at night I just leave a light on or put a lamp on, because it feels easier on my eyes that way.

I've bought so many Kindle books over the 4-ish years I've had it, and would say it's well worth it. I get most of my books for cheaper than they would be otherwise and sometimes I pay full price for a book just because it saves room. If I had all the books I have on my Kindle in physical form I'd have a library on my hands and I don't want to clean a library or find myself sleeping on books because I have no room.

Thank you for your answer, very helpful. I have a lamp near my bed but I'd like to be able to read in the dark when others are watching TV, so I'm not sure. How do you buy books from the kindle?
Original post by Katarvi
Sounds like we have the same Kindle! Dat cover price tho. £35 for mine, but it was worth it.

£35?! Was there a deal on?
Also the fire tablet seems to be like a kindle but also have tablet capabilities like internet, I'd rather not have the distraction but it's like you're getting more for your money
Also the fire tablet seems to be like a kindle but also have tablet capabilities like internet, I'd rather not have the distraction but it's like you're getting more for your money

The kindle fire screen has the same screen like a pc/laptop so think it might strain your eyes if you want to read books. As a tablet its great if you want to browse the net or watch movies.
I made a thread on whether to buy a kindle fire 3 years ago if you want to read.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2419625
£35?! Was there a deal on?

I meant the price of the cover for it; the thing you put the Kindle in to protect it. They can be pricey depending on what one you go for.

Edit; also, I'd second what chikane said about the Kindle Fire. It's not really suited for reading. My mum has one and it's crap (imo) as either a tablet or a reading device.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Katarvi
I meant the price of the cover for it; the thing you put the Kindle in to protect it. They can be pricey depending on what one you go for.

Edit; also, I'd second what chikane said about the Kindle Fire. It's not really suited for reading. My mum has one and it's crap (imo) as either a tablet or a reading device.

That's expensive usually i would go to into the city centre and there are market stalls selling covers at a cheaper price.

Yes i did buy the kindle fire years ago hoping to use it for reading and was playing fruit ninja on it instead so sold it weeks later.
Thank you for the replies, I don't know if anyone knows but is the kindle paperweight ok for your eyes like if you've been on a laptop/computer all day and then you want to read? I don't want to be damaging my eyes
Thank you for the replies, I don't know if anyone knows but is the kindle paperweight ok for your eyes like if you've been on a laptop/computer all day and then you want to read? I don't want to be damaging my eyes

The paper white should be perfect for your eyes as its a reading device which the fire isn't. You could go to a waterstones and test it out (don't buy from waterstones too expensive)
I have a kindle fire HD...
It's iiitteeee.....
The amazon app store is not good in terms of latest and coolest apps.
Original post by chikane
That's expensive usually i would go to into the city centre and there are market stalls selling covers at a cheaper price.

Yes i did buy the kindle fire years ago hoping to use it for reading and was playing fruit ninja on it instead so sold it weeks later.

I didn't mind spending that much on my case as it was one that's designed to look like a book (see pic). I don't blame you on selling the Kindle Fire, far too distracting!
bookcase22.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending