The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Ron Riveras second challenge was bizarre also it didn't cost them but it was such a pointless one.
Original post by Malevolent
Ron Riveras second challenge was bizarre also it didn't cost them but it was such a pointless one.

Well referees don't make mistakes that can be overturned by replay very often, so when you get an opportunity to correct them you may as well take it even if it only nets you a few yards.
Original post by SmashConcept
Well referees don't make mistakes that can be overturned by replay very often, so when you get an opportunity to correct them you may as well take it even if it only nets you a few yards.

I dunno i found it a weird challenge considering it was a pretty small play and it wasn't like the Panthers were struggling stopping the Broncos. I would have saved the challenge but luckily no other play that was challengeable came up.
Original post by edothero
Watched a full NFL game for the first time yesterday night. Definitely something I could get into.
Kinda learned the rules and how its played throughout the game though lmao.

If I was living in America, this would definitely be my favourite sport to play and watch. Though as a Brit, keeping up with games could be very awkward due to the time-zone difference.

Most games aren't this late. Throughout the season they're normally at either 6pm, 9pm or midnight on Sunday nights our time so you can watch from 6-12 no problem.

Occasionally your preferred team is on a late game but don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2064
Original post by Motorbiker
Most games aren't this late. Throughout the season they're normally at either 6pm, 9pm or midnight on Sunday nights our time so you can watch from 6-12 no problem.

Occasionally your preferred team is on a late game but don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is why you pick a team which isn't very good right now, you get to play at 6 or 9 pretty much every Sunday. I had 1 TNF with the Jags all season which provoked a lovely 5AM finish but otherwise it was all sociable times.
. If you pick a team to follow, you can get a pretty cheap version of Gamepass and you basically get 16 games plus playoffs to enjoy.

Is it a Gamepass for all games or just for those of the team you follow?

Depends on whether they are on sky sports that night. Gamepass is great but any games that happen to be on sky are blacked out for 48 hours afterwards.

My Broncos generally play at 1.30am or 9.25pm. The 9.25pm is great because it's all finished by 12.30am.

When I was in Idaho, on saturdays, I could watch a big10 game in the morning at 10am, watch the ISU Bengals play in the Holt Arena at 2.30pm, eat and have a huge choice of SEC game to watch, watch the feature SEC game, watch a BIG 12/MW game, at like 8pm and then finish with a PAC12 game which would finish at like midnight. New Year's day last year, I watched so much football. College football is the best.

Then on Sundays, I once woke up at 7am, to watch the Wembley game at 7.30. Had brunch, then watched a game at 11am, listened to the Broncos at 2.30pm have dinner and watch the prime time game on NBC at 6.30pm. Needless to say, I got no work done.
Original post by Wattsy
This is why you pick a team which isn't very good right now, you get to play at 6 or 9 pretty much every Sunday. I had 1 TNF with the Jags all season which provoked a lovely 5AM finish but otherwise it was all sociable times.

I guess it makes a difference that they're on the east coast so they're more likely to play earlier home games?? IDK how NFL scheduling works..

I have the one for all games which is like £120 a year. There is a version where you just get games from one team but I'm not sure how much it costs. I would assume it's fairly affordable though.
Reply 2068
I guess it makes a difference that they're on the east coast so they're more likely to play earlier home games?? IDK how NFL scheduling works..

I have the one for all games which is like £120 a year. There is a version where you just get games from one team but I'm not sure how much it costs. I would assume it's fairly affordable though.

I just know that the 1:30AM slot is Prime Time TV in the USA so they tend to put the best matchup, the most marketable teams and the biggest games there and on MNF.
Original post by Wattsy
I just know that the 1:30AM slot is Prime Time TV in the USA so they tend to put the best matchup, the most marketable teams and the biggest games there and on MNF.

Surely the east and west coasts must have different slots that are considered prime though?
Reply 2070
Surely the east and west coasts must have
different slots that are considered prime though?

You would think so... 1:30 -8:00 to get to Seattle/LA/SF time is 17:30 and -5:00 for NY/FL is 8:30... This might just be the best balance they can come up with to best accommodate the entirety of the US

As far as I can remember the 'single team' game pass was £84.99 and the all teams pass was £99.99, best to go for the all teams one as there's always another game that's worth watching e.g. during your team's bye week. Just remember that if a Sunday game is being shown on Sky Sports, it is blacked out on the game pass (but as a Jets fan, this is rarely a problem). TNF/MNF is fine.

There is a 'Season Plus' one that's around £120 that allows you to rewatch all games during the off season, but I didn't bother with that one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheLittlestElf
I think the refs were okay only calls that they messed up were the first challenge

Looking at it again, the ball touched the ground the first time it was underneath him, before he had proper control. He then rolled about some more, got control and stopped it touching the ground the second time it got close. Good call.
Interesting game that had me watching to the end: with one score in it for the majority of the time, you could believe that Newton and the Panthers' offence might get their act together and score a TD. But the Bronco's defence stayed brutally effective.

It was all a big contrast with the Broncos two years ago, when they turned up with the best offence and got thoroughly stuffed by the Seahawks' defence. What made that one a rout was that the Seahawks also had an offence worthy of the name, something that couldn't be said about this Broncos team.

I suspect Manning doesn't care that they have the records for fewest first downs and lowest yards for a winning team (the vast majority of losing teams have done better!) or his rating was so appalling. Look at the rings, look at the rings.

He'd better retire though, or next year is going to be seriously embarrassing.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
As far as I can remember the 'single team' game pass was £84.99 and the all teams pass was £99.99, best to go for the all teams one as there's always another game that's worth watching e.g. during your team's bye week. Just remember that if a Sunday game is being shown on Sky Sports, it is blacked out on the game pass (but as a Jets fan, this is rarely a problem). TNF/MNF is fine.

There is a 'Season Plus' one that's around £120 that allows you to rewatch all games during the off season, but I didn't bother with that one.

Season Plus is the biggest rip off. You pay extra, to see the playoff games, but because Sky has them, they're blacked out!!! I'm still annoyed that to listen to the games, it went up from just $15 to the £80-odd Gamepass price. Outrageous, because they rolled the audio coverage into gamepass, and make you pay so much extra for the privilege.
Original post by jammy4041
Season Plus is the biggest rip off. You pay extra, to see the playoff games, but because Sky has them, they're blacked out!!! I'm still annoyed that to listen to the games, it went up from just $15 to the £80-odd Gamepass price. Outrageous, because they rolled the audio coverage into gamepass, and make you pay so much extra for the privilege.

Yeah I got Season Plus without really thinking about that and I felt like kind of a dumbass when I had to insulate myself away from NFL media and try to watch playoff games "as live" after the blackouts. I didn't get a single week of unspoilt games in spite of avoiding this thread and other sites I use, because I click on facebook out of habit and a lot of my friends post about it.
Reply 2076
I quite like Off-Season Plus though, £30 to get majorly clued in on the draft, watch the combine if you wanted, watch all 3 draft days and review some of the best games you might have missed. Because I don't watch college football NFL Network and Twitter are my draft guides.
Am I the only one who uses a streaming service to watch US TV instead? Obviously you only get the games that the major networks carry, but that's enough for me.
Long wait now :frown:
Combine sooooooooooooooon.

Anyone particularly interested in anything there?

I want to see if anyone wins the million dollar prize put up by Adidas (maybe, could be a different company) for beating the 40 yard dash record in a pair of their shoes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest