The Student Room Group

How do I create a revision timetable?

I know I have asked this question before but I have no idea where to start. I am doing 6 subjects at GCSE this year and I want to revise well for all of them. I just don't know how much time to dedicate towards each of them every week. I also get confused about how I go about constructing it. Do I use a website or do it myself? Out of all my subject my weaker ones are probably Maths and French but I'm scared if I dedicate more time to those subjects my others will suffer so I wont get good enough grades in them.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ameliafx
I know I have asked this question before but I have no idea where to start. I am doing 6 subjects at GCSE this year and I want to revise well for all of them. I just don't know how much time to dedicate towards each of them every week. I also get confused about how I go about constructing it. Do I use a website or do it myself? Out of all my subject my weaker ones are probably Maths and French but I'm scared if I dedicate more time to those subjects my others will suffer so I wont get good enough grades in them.

Have you tried the one on TSR: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/planner ?
One good thing to start off with- and this is how I started- is that I went and made a word document where I listed each of the components that I knew about for each subject. So, for Biology, there is B1, B2 and B3, then I have a "General".
Secondly, use your school timetable against it.

Say your Monday school day looks like this (for example):
Drama, Maths, English, French, Chemistry

I then took some of those subjects and put them onto my TUESDAY revision sector and mix up the order a little; that is, the ones for which I can revise. So personally, it might have looked like:
Maths (Shape), Chemistry (C2- Random number), French (for me, French is really easy so I only do a tiny tiny bit of revision.

It's also mainly all about finding a balance between them- occasionally, you might have 1 subject on one night, another you might do 3 a night. I see that you're taking 6, so you're quite fortunate, presuming that that includes English, Maths and Science...

I've posted a picture of what mine looks like, just for if it will give any inspiration. I've just done 2 quick tables on Word. (My school operates on a fortnightly system.)Revision 2.PNG
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17
Have you tried the one on TSR: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/planner ?

I have tried it but I just don't know how to divide my time between my subjects and how much to do a day in order to make sure I do enough revision before my exam.
personally I found it better to make my own as I could take into consideration my other commitments and the different times i prefer to do revision. for me, the ones i made on websites were less useful, but its a good idea to use a template. it might take you a while to produce a good revision timetable but its worth it. my weakest is english so i have more revision sessions for that but still a lot for the others, as theres a lot to revise for them and it seems to be working out ok!!! but really its just whatever works for you !! :biggrin:
this is mine just as inspiration, the second part is just a tick sheet so i can mark off each session as i do it and keep a record.
Go on ' getrevising.com '

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeenPolyglot
One good thing to start off with- and this is how I started- is that I went and made a word document where I listed each of the components that I knew about for each subject. So, for Biology, there is B1, B2 and B3, then I have a "General".
Secondly, use your school timetable against it.

Say your Monday school day looks like this (for example):
Drama, Maths, English, French, Chemistry

I then took some of those subjects and put them onto my TUESDAY revision sector and mix up the order a little; that is, the ones for which I can revise. So personally, it might have looked like:
Maths (Shape), Chemistry (C2- Random number), French (for me, French is really easy so I only do a tiny tiny bit of revision.

It's also mainly all about finding a balance between them- occasionally, you might have 1 subject on one night, another you might do 3 a night. I see that you're taking 6, so you're quite fortunate, presuming that that includes English, Maths and Science...

I've posted a picture of what mine looks like, just for if it will give any inspiration. I've just done 2 quick tables on Word. (My school operates on a fortnightly system.)Revision 2.PNG

so you're doing three hours a night of revision on top of your homework as well as waking up at 4.30 to do an hours revision? Damn you're not getting enough sleep with that, honestly take my advice and do less revision but more sleep, it'll be more effective
Original post by caitlinford3
so you're doing three hours a night of revision on top of your homework as well as waking up at 4.30 to do an hours revision? Damn you're not getting enough sleep with that, honestly take my advice and do less revision but more sleep, it'll be more effective

Thanks for the advice; I need to update my timetable, as I actually just lack the energy to get up at 4:30 half the time!

Thankfully, though, I've had a pretty good increase- so far, I've got 4 A*, 7 A and 2 B.
Thanks for the advice; I need to update my timetable, as I actually just lack the energy to get up at 4:30 half the time!

Thankfully, though, I've had a pretty good increase- so far, I've got 4 A*, 7 A and 2 B.

So you've finished your GCSE's or are they mock results?

Well done though! You're welcome on the advice
So you've finished your GCSE's or are they mock results?

Well done though! You're welcome on the advice

They're my mocks. But I have already got two passes in a TLM IT Qualification and my iGCSE English, where, annoyingly, I got a B.
They're my mocks. But I have already got two passes in a TLM IT Qualification and my iGCSE English, where, annoyingly, I got a B.

Don't be daft a B is a good grade!
Don't be daft a B is a good grade!

Not when you're hoping to go to Oxford haha
Not when you're hoping to go to Oxford haha

Ah another aspiring Oxford student! Haha I'm dreaming of Oxford too, they're not expecting straight A*s, if you look at the entry requirements they're not actually so harsh, I always expected it to be like oh 5 straight A*s taken to A2 but there's actually some courses that just want A*AA and AAA so it's not far out of reach just because you got a B in English :wink:

How do you do only 6 subjects? I do 10 subjects.
Reply 16
Original post by Tinka99
How do you do only 6 subjects? I do 10 subjects.

I took two GCSEs last year so thats two out of the way. Also my school decides how many GCSE's you take depending on your ability. I dont mean to blow my own trumpet here but ive always thought they've under estimated me when it comes to my ability for eg. They predicted me C's in pretty much everything but I usually get higher. This is probaly because they decide on your predicted grades by using your Year 6 SAT results- which I dont think is fair. However I suppose it does work to my advantage in some ways!
I took two GCSEs last year so thats two out of the way. Also my school decides how many GCSE's you take depending on your ability. I dont mean to blow my own trumpet here but ive always thought they've under estimated me when it comes to my ability for eg. They predicted me C's in pretty much everything but I usually get higher. This is probaly because they decide on your predicted grades by using your Year 6 SAT results- which I dont think is fair. However I suppose it does work to my advantage in some ways!

It does not matter what you are predicted you can still get higher if you put the work in. Don't just think that if your predicted a C you can't get higher than that because with real work an A* is possible. I also find it quite ridiculous to predict GCSE results looking at grades that are dated 5 years back. They should look at highschool progress and have a up to date realistic reflection. I am predicted 5A's, 4B's and 1C and I really do think all A*/A is possible with some real effort. Just try your best.
Reply 18
Original post by Tinka99
It does not matter what you are predicted you can still get higher if you put the work in. Don't just think that if your predicted a C you can't get higher than that because with real work an A* is possible. I also find it quite ridiculous to predict GCSE results looking at grades that are dated 5 years back. They should look at highschool progress and have a up to date realistic reflection. I am predicted 5A's, 4B's and 1C and I really do think all A*/A is possible with some real effort. Just try your best.

Thanks I agree, your predicted grades should be based on your more recent progress!
Ah another aspiring Oxford student! Haha I'm dreaming of Oxford too, they're not expecting straight A*s, if you look at the entry requirements they're not actually so harsh, I always expected it to be like oh 5 straight A*s taken to A2 but there's actually some courses that just want A*AA and AAA so it's not far out of reach just because you got a B in English :wink:

That's fair. Thankfully my A/A* are all in relevant subjects for me, like French and Sociology, but I'm hoping I'll easily be able to get some of them to A*. There are some subjects, like Biology where I'm just not getting it and I'm dropping crazily- thankfully, I got A* in the CAU so that's a start. Some subjects I'm rapidly improving in- got my first overall A in Maths today :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

And then there's Drama. AQA Drama is just weird. Oh, and geography. I find it unusually difficult to answer some of the questions!

Quick Reply

Latest