The Student Room Group

how to get anti-depressants without being prescribed them?

is there anyway I can get anti-depressants without seeing the GP and being prescribed them.

no I am not trying to get them for recreational uses.

:frown: please help
I'm under 18 so is there any way I can get them myself, I have friends over 18 and also a sibling over 18 - if I can't is there any way they can get it for me?

Where do I go and what do I ask for?
would boots pharmacy do? or do they only do prescriptive services?

please help
I really need this
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
is there anyway I can get anti-depressants without seeing the GP and being prescribed them.

I'm under 18 so is there any way I can get them myself, I have friends over 18 and also a sibling over 18 - if I can't is there any way they can get it for me?

please help
I really need this

I'm afraid not. You would need to be diagnosed with a condition that requires antidepressants.

I urge you to go to the doctors. :hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by Airmed
I'm afraid not. You would need to be diagnosed with a condition that requires antidepressants.

I urge you to go to the doctors. :hugs:

I don't want it be on my record
I can deal with it myself if I can get antidepressants
Reply 3

Why do you not want it to be on your record? Also, that's not necessarily true. Antidepressants require trial and error, and usually with a mixture of therapy.

Why not? It is confidential and they can't tell anyone else about it (well, unless you tell them something that would involve getting another agency involved e.g. police which I doubt)

No one apart from medical professionals have access to your medical record so no one would be aware if you didn't want them to be.
Certain jobs such as the militiary won't take people on with a record of depression maybe this is why? Nevertheless your health is more important.
Reply 7
Antidepressants are not always the answer. If you want antidepressants you have to be diagnosed with them, especially for younger people as technically we aren't supposed to have them unless we have a serious case of depression. My friend was also prescribed vitamin D tablets which are supposed to help, but there are other methods to deal with depression such as counselling.

I urge you to please not buy antidepressants online because you can never be sure what is in them and the effect they will have on you. At a young age they can be unpredictable and can have side effects in later life as we are still developing. Please look to other ways to deal with your depression before turning to medication, you will find that it will probably work out better for you in the long term.
Reply 8

please help
I really need this

Antidepressants are powerful drugs. They must be used under the careful supervision of a doctor. To try to use them yourself is potentially very dangerous.

Your doctor wouldn't say anything to anyone else unless there was a safeguarding issue. Then, they only tell the people who actually need to be told. To tell someone who doesn't need to be told is a serious offence. It is all done to keep you safe and well.

If you are struggling with your mental health, talk to your doctor. They don't mind. They should refer you for the appropriate treatment and support.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
St. John's Wort? It's crap, though.
everyone goes through hard times but you need to stay strong, it will pass but the effect of anti depressants can stay with you.
but if you really want them and see no way out then see your doctor before trying anything because everyone needs different doses and you might be allergic to some of the ingredients

why not try exercising instead of getting antidepressant, it releases happy chemicals, so does pretty much the same thing:h:

stay happy:redface:
Reply 11
Original post by Ishea16
if you're under 18 i doubt you need antidepressant,
everyone goes through hard times but you need to stay strong, it will pass but the effect of anti depressants can stay with you.
but if you really want them and see no way out then see your doctor before trying anything because everyone needs different doses and you might be allergic to some of the ingredients

why not try exercising instead of getting antidepressant, it releases happy chemicals, so does pretty much the same thing:h:

stay happy:redface:

That is really bad advice. Teenage mental health problems are serious and they need proper support. I have seen what happens to kids when they aren't given professional help. It's not nice. Depression can affect people of all ages, not just adults.

Depression rarely goes away on its own. It's not just a bad patch. It's not like a cold. It can get better, but that requires help and support. For many people, it's lifelong.

Early diagnosis and treatment is critical in mental health. The OP clearly needs professional support.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Ishea16
trust me i know this :redface:
im just saying what i believe and know and i still think what i said is valid

However, it is actually dangerous. Mental health problems need the support of professionals so that they can get better, in the same way a person with bronchitis needs to see a doctor to get the appropriate treatment to get better.

I am approaching this from the perspective of a person who has studied mental health and supported friends and family with their mental health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're prescription drugs
Original post by Katty3
However, it is actually dangerous. Mental health problems need the support of professionals so that they can get better, in the same way a person with bronchitis needs to see a doctor to get the appropriate treatment to get better.

I am approaching this from the perspective of a person who has studied mental health and supported friends and family with their mental health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

if she has mental problems than yes it is important but we dont know that,
seeing a doctor is important but antidepressant not so much when it can be improved using other ways, OP should atleast try them and if it doesnt get better then see the doctor ,
all im saying is that she should try to help her self, and if its not improving then get help

its easy to go on antidepressants but getting off them is the hard thing and plus the side affects that come arent the best,
why not try other ways first?:redface:
Reply 15
Original post by Ishea16
if she has mental problems than yes it is important but we dont know that,
seeing a doctor is important but antidepressant not so much when it can be improved using other ways, OP should atleast try them and if it doesnt get better then see the doctor ,
all im saying is that she should try to help her self, and if its not improving then get help

its easy to go on antidepressants but getting off them is the hard thing and plus the side affects that come arent the best,
why not try other ways first?:redface:

I have been on antidepressants. I know what they're like. I had no serious side effects. I put on a little bit of weight, but it was only a few pounds and it was worth it. I had no problems coming off them either.

A doctor can give proper advice about what treatment is available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest