The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosie2003
Hi,
Wonder if you can help?! I'm just having a bit of a freak out re managing shifts/two children etc with not many childcare options. E.g. if I had to do some 7-7 shifts - just wondering how I would get my children to nursery/school when partner has to leave house at 7am! How flexible are the placements? I mean, do you think they would consider 9-9 instead or does it all depend on the ward/mentor? I'm suddenly thinking this isn't going to be very straightforward!!
X

Some placements are flexible and fairly understanding but you are informed that the course and placement hours come first.
You won't be doing all long days so I wouldn't worry too much about them as you will be doing earlies and lates depending on your placement area.
All you can do is ask when you are on placement to see what's possible, but many people use childminders, relatives etc to try and help out.
It's hard but it is doable. You need to be as flexible as possible and talk to your mentor and uni tutor if and when you need help.
Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 161
Hi. What would you expect from a 'typical' nursing day i.e. what would you be expecting to do from the start to the end of the day?
Original post by deviant182
Some placements are flexible and fairly understanding but you are informed that the course and placement hours come first.
You won't be doing all long days so I wouldn't worry too much about them as you will be doing earlies and lates depending on your placement area.
All you can do is ask when you are on placement to see what's possible, but many people use childminders, relatives etc to try and help out.
It's hard but it is doable. You need to be as flexible as possible and talk to your mentor and uni tutor if and when you need help.
Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! I feel that this is my biggest fear/stumbling block and I would hate to withdraw just because I might struggle with shift times! Is it often possible to do the long days on a weekend if your mentor agrees? Or do they let you 'make it up' later e.g. do you have to fulfill so many hours of nights/long days/earlies etc?
Thank you so much! I feel that this is my biggest fear/stumbling block and I would hate to withdraw just because I might struggle with shift times! Is it often possible to do the long days on a weekend if your mentor agrees? Or do they let you 'make it up' later e.g. do you have to fulfill so many hours of nights/long days/earlies etc?

It will depend on when your mentor works. You need to spend a certain amount of time (I think 40%) with your mentor in order for them to adequately assess you so a lot depends on their shift patterns.
Its hard to give you definite answers, it will vary hugely between placements. There will be a certain expectation on you to be relatively flexible, although things like childcare would hopefully be taken in to account (though because of staffing etc they may not be able to take it into account for every shift).
Original post by ForestCat
It will depend on when your mentor works. You need to spend a certain amount of time (I think 40%) with your mentor in order for them to adequately assess you so a lot depends on their shift patterns.
Its hard to give you definite answers, it will vary hugely between placements. There will be a certain expectation on you to be relatively flexible, although things like childcare would hopefully be taken in to account (though because of staffing etc they may not be able to take it into account for every shift).

Thank you - I'm sure I could be flexible for the majority of shifts it's just the long days starting at particular times (before school/breakfast club start time) that are concerning me. Thanks for the reassurance!

According to NMC guidelines, students have to complete a minimum set of hours. This includes hours over weekdays, weekends nights and days. My university we have to complete 2 nights in first year, 3 in 2nd year and a full week in 3rd year. Over the year this isn't a great deal so it is doable!
Some mentors will allow for this, but if you are somewhere, ie community, school etc this wouldn't be possible but your hours during the day would then be different.
Again, it all depends on your placement area. And due to placements and university timetabling it will be hard to make it up later. Universities allow time for this in case of sickness etc. Try not to worry too much about it.
All you can do is speak to your mentor if you struggle with shift times. But do remember when you qualify you will be expected to agree to hours as you will be in charge of an area as a nurse and managing other staff etc (depending on where you want to work of course but this is part of your role as a nurse!)
So you may meet mentors that will say the same so do have plans in place if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I've applied to study adult nursing and have a few offers but I'm finding it hard deciding where I want to go! Does anyone study nursing at Leeds Beckett (or Leeds), Essex or anglia Ruskin in Cambridge? I would just like a general idea of life as a nursing student in the cities regarding placements and how helpful the universities are that sort of thing! Thanks 😊
Reply 167
Original post by katiec95
Hi I've applied to study adult nursing and have a few offers but I'm finding it hard deciding where I want to go! Does anyone study nursing at Leeds Beckett (or Leeds), Essex or anglia Ruskin in Cambridge? I would just like a general idea of life as a nursing student in the cities regarding placements and how helpful the universities are that sort of thing! Thanks 😊

Im doing child in leeds but we do a lot of modules together so feel free to ask me anything you want
Hi

I'm a mature student ( I'm 27) and have finished all my qualifications so not waiting on any results. I've been offered a conditional place at Edge Hill for adult nursing for September 2016. What is the likelihood that I wont get a place, the conditions where seeing my certificates ( GCSE Maths and English) and Degree certificate again. I have an ordinary degree in pharmaceutical science.

I'm worried that they will say no after seeing them, even though they are exactly what I put on my application, is it that they have just misplaced the ones from my interview date?
Original post by elliec1788
Hi

I'm a mature student ( I'm 27) and have finished all my qualifications so not waiting on any results. I've been offered a conditional place at Edge Hill for adult nursing for September 2016. What is the likelihood that I wont get a place, the conditions where seeing my certificates ( GCSE Maths and English) and Degree certificate again. I have an ordinary degree in pharmaceutical science.

I'm worried that they will say no after seeing them, even though they are exactly what I put on my application, is it that they have just misplaced the ones from my interview date?

Why would they say no if you're able to meet the conditions of your offer?
Original post by moonkatt
Why would they say no if you're able to meet the conditions of your offer?

I think I'm just worrying as I am turning down an unconditional offer at Salford to go to Edge hill, Salford is just a little too far away and with a 3 year old it would be more difficult to get there each day from Liverpool.
Original post by a78
Im doing child in leeds but we do a lot of modules together so feel free to ask me anything you want

Even though its Beckett? Or do you mean child and adult together at university of Leeds?
What are the hospitals like for placements? I assume the same hospitals are used for both universities. Thank you!
how many placements are you allowed to fail in first year???
Original post by rebecca_o

It depends on your university. Usually the learning objectives that you fail to complete will be passed to the next placement where you will be expected to pass them. I would be worried if a student was failing more than one placement though.

Are you struggling to keep up?
Original post by ForestCat
It depends on your university. Usually the learning objectives that you fail to complete will be passed to the next placement where you will be expected to pass them. I would be worried if a student was failing more than one placement though.

Are you struggling to keep up?

I suffer with mental health issues and they have been stopping me from reaching my full potential plus I haven't been enjoying the placements ive been at. I failed one bc I had to go on a sick line for my health and im just wondering how many you are allowed to fail?
I suffer with mental health issues and they have been stopping me from reaching my full potential plus I haven't been enjoying the placements ive been at. I failed one bc I had to go on a sick line for my health and im just wondering how many you are allowed to fail?

Failing because of absence is a separate matter. You have to complete a certain number of hours in order to qualify for NMC registration.

This sounds like something you should be discussing with your university. Do they know about your mental health issues and are they offering you adequate support?

One thing I will say though, is that not enjoying a placement should not be a reason for failing. Because of the nature of the training, we all have to do placements we don't particularly have any interest in, or don't enjoy. But you should still be capable of putting the effort in and working towards the learning objectives. I know its difficult, but its the nature of nursing. Its always going to stressful and tough but sometimes you just need to get on with it (I'm talking about this as a separate issue to your mental health. I understand that might make it more difficult, but this is why you should be reaching out to you university).

At my uni you get written up for an action plan with your mentor and link lecturer, they discuss what needs to be done for you to improve. You then have to do the hours of the placement you failed either at the same place or a different placement. If you are unable to complete those hours or fail that placement then you have to leave the course.

If you have failed a placement, it's important to talk to your mentor and link lecturer to see where you're going wrong and how to pass your next placement.
Does anybody have a rough timetable for Edge hill adult nursing?
I've just confirmed my place for September but will need to plan childcare for my daughter and would love to get a head start on sorting what I can.
Hi, I was just wondering what the shifts are like during 1st year placements, are there many night shifts? I have an offer for uni of Birmingham and thats where i'm looking to study so if anyone has info specific to this uni it would be greatly appreciated. I'm asking this cuz i don't know whether to live at uni or not, its only a 20 minute train journey away from my house so I could commute but my dad said it might be easier for me to live away in case I finish a shift late so I won't have to travel far to go to sleep lol. Any suggestions?
Original post by safiyyah98
Hi, I was just wondering what the shifts are like during 1st year placements, are there many night shifts? I have an offer for uni of Birmingham and thats where i'm looking to study so if anyone has info specific to this uni it would be greatly appreciated. I'm asking this cuz i don't know whether to live at uni or not, its only a 20 minute train journey away from my house so I could commute but my dad said it might be easier for me to live away in case I finish a shift late so I won't have to travel far to go to sleep lol. Any suggestions?

You'll possibly end up having to commute for placements anyway, there are hospitals all over the city. A lot of hospitals now do long days, which tend to run from around 7am to 7-8 pm, but some places still do short shifts, where lates sometimes finish a bit later. You won't know shift times for certain until you know where you're going on placement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending