The Student Room Group

My Journey to Success

Hey there! Thanks for taking interest in my study blog - my journey to success! :biggrin:

This is where I will be blogging every week on a Monday to update my record on my work done over each week.

I'm currently on a gap year, resitting eight exams as an external student (without a tutor/teacher) and reapplying for UCAS.

Last year I studied Sociology, History and Mathematics. I was not able to achieve the results I wanted to achieve due to extenuating circumstances. However, this year I hope to change things around. I was able to achieve a grade B for Sociology (OCR). I have decided to not resit any of my Sociology exams, I'm happy with my B.

The exams I'm sitting and what I aim to achieve:

1. Mathematics (Edexcel)

Core 1 ---------[A]

Core 2 ---------[A]

Core 3 ---------[A]

Core 4 ---------

Statistics 1 ---[A]

Statistics 2 ---

2. History (AQA)

HIS1H Tsarist Russia 1855-1917 ---------------[A]

HIS2M Life in Nazi Germany 1933-1945 -------[A]

If I am able to achieve these grades I will have the grades AAB by the end of this academic year.

I am looking to study Marketing at undergraduate level. I currently have 3 offers, 1 rejection and I have an interview in April. I hope to apply to University of Southampton through adjustment in August.

Time to get cracking. :h:

~These hardships would only make you a stronger person than you were yesterday.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by undercxver
x

You could definitely go for all A's across the board in Maths :tongue: is there anything about S2 that you're stuck on at the moment?
There is always the Maths forum if you want to ask questions.

Good luck with the interview and adjustment. :woo: looking forward to this blog :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
You could definitely go for all A's across the board in Maths :tongue: is there anything about S2 that you're stuck on at the moment?
There is always the Maths forum if you want to ask questions.

Good luck with the interview and adjustment. :woo: looking forward to this blog :biggrin:

I could try and get an A in each module, though I'll just set my C4 and S2 exam goal as a B (just realised my C4 goal wasn't entered, :teehee: just fixed that). Hypotheses testing hurts my head, I guess with maths it's all a matter of getting used to the method, particularly with the Statistics modules. I will be posting in the Maths forum quite often in the future.

Thank you Sean! :hugs:
Those grades are fantastic doll!!! Best of luck to you and I hope you achieve all of your goals💛💛💛
I could try and get an A in each module, though I'll just set my C4 and S2 exam goal as a B (just realised my C4 goal wasn't entered, :teehee: just fixed that). Hypotheses testing hurts my head, I guess with maths it's all a matter of getting used to the method, particularly with the Statistics modules. I will be posting in the Maths forum quite often in the future.

Thank you Sean! :hugs:

It's still not there :mmm: TSR must be being silly.

Oh yeah, it can be a confusing topic to get used to at first but once you do.. usually easy marks in the exam. :wink: practice makes perfect!

No worries. :jumphug:
Reply 5
Original post by kandykissesxox
Those grades are fantastic doll!!! Best of luck to you and I hope you achieve all of your goals💛💛💛

Thank youuuu. :jumphug: You're doing A2 exams too right?

Original post by SeanFM
It's still not there :mmm: TSR must be being silly.

Oh yeah, it can be a confusing topic to get used to at first but once you do.. usually easy marks in the exam. :wink: practice makes perfect!

No worries. :jumphug:

I think it should be fixed now. :ninja:

Yepp! It's one of my last exams, about a two week gap before the S2 exam (if I remember it right). I should be okay. :u:

Well.. The only A2 exam I'm doing this year is my maths one. I flopped my first year terribly, but it's only up from here on.. So yeah :3
Rooting for you :smile:

You can do this!
:ahee: I had that gap for S2 as well - the worst thing to do is to do lots of preparation beforehand and then get complacent and not do as well in it as you should (been there, done that!)

I think it should be fixed now. :ninja:

Yepp! It's one of my last exams, about a two week gap before the S2 exam (if I remember it right). I should be okay. :u:

So yeah.. you might be able to have a bit of a break and then go for 100 UMS in S2 :wink:
Reply 9
Well.. The only A2 exam I'm doing this year is my maths one. I flopped my first year terribly, but it's only up from here on.. So yeah :3

You can do it. :biggrin: You've been over the content before you will find this year easier! Are you doing Edexcel?

Original post by Student403
Rooting for you :smile:

You can do this!

Thank you! :hugs:

Original post by SeanFM
:ahee: I had that gap for S2 as well - the worst thing to do is to do lots of preparation beforehand and then get complacent and not do as well in it as you should (been there, done that!)

So yeah.. you might be able to have a bit of a break and then go for 100 UMS in S2 :wink:

Only sad thing is that it is one of the last A2 exam, everyone's done and you feel like you are the only one left. :emo:

That's so true, I will try my best to do as many past papers as possible beforehand. :biggrin:
You can do it. :biggrin: You've been over the content before you will find this year easier! Are you doing Edexcel?

Aw thank you very much (it means a lot seriously!!)

Well, I chose new AS levels but maths was the only subject I did well in when I did the AS exams last year so yeah continued to A2 with that .

Yes, I'm on edexcel :biggrin:
Aw thank you very much (it means a lot seriously!!)

Well, I chose new AS levels but maths was the only subject I did well in when I did the AS exams last year so yeah continued to A2 with that .

Yes, I'm on edexcel :biggrin:

It's fine. :jumphug:

Ahh right. I considered that when I moved to year 13, I was advised by teachers not to so I didn't. It's all for the best! :biggrin:

Cool, which exams are you sitting other than C1/2/3/4?
It's fine. :jumphug:

Ahh right. I considered that when I moved to year 13, I was advised by teachers not to so I didn't. It's all for the best! :biggrin:

Cool, which exams are you sitting other than C1/2/3/4?

Just sitting maths: c3, c4 and d1
ICT which is one exam and economics which is two exams :biggrin:
Just sitting maths: c3, c4 and d1
ICT which is one exam and economics which is two exams :biggrin:

Six exams, not bad.

I haven't done much for C4! :bawling: How's D1 like?
You will do it! :yep:

Just believe in yourself and give it your best shot! :thumbsup:
Six exams, not bad.

I haven't done much for C4! :bawling: How's D1 like?

Well I'm self reaching c4 because my teacher is going at slug pace lol. She's only covered vectors, partial fractions and just started integration.

Whereas I've covered partial fractions, binomial, parametric equations and differentiation. I'm hoping to finish integration by this week and then start vectors. And that is c4 done 😂

D1 is easy but tedious and boring at times.
Original post by Indeterminate
You will do it! :yep:

Just believe in yourself and give it your best shot! :thumbsup:

Well I'm self reaching c4 because my teacher is going at slug pace lol. She's only covered vectors, partial fractions and just started integration.

Whereas I've covered partial fractions, binomial, parametric equations and differentiation. I'm hoping to finish integration by this week and then start vectors. And that is c4 done 😂

D1 is easy but tedious and boring at times.

Integration is the longest and toughest bit in C4. I can understand why some teachers go really slow when it comes to integration, I really need to spend most of my time practising that. Well done for covering so much on your own, good way to stay ahead in the game! :yep:

Oooh, I've been recommended to do D1 instead. Though I've already done Statistics last year I knew it's best to stick to what I already knew since I am teaching myself.

Integration is the longest and toughest bit in C4. I can understand why some teachers go really slow when it comes to integration, I really need to spend most of my time practising that. Well done for covering so much on your own, good way to stay ahead in the game! :yep:

Oooh, I've been recommended to do D1 instead. Though I've already done Statistics last year I knew it's best to stick to what I already knew since I am teaching myself.

I'm getting a bit gassed now because I covered like one exercise of integration and I can only imagine it getting harder. The chapter is so bloody long like I just want to cry when I look at how far it is until the mixed exercise..

I did s1 last year and disliked it with a passion, I just did not enjoy it and so I chose d1 as my applied for this year:s-smilie:
I'm getting a bit gassed now because I covered like one exercise of integration and I can only imagine it getting harder. The chapter is so bloody long like I just want to cry when I look at how far it is until the mixed exercise..

I did s1 last year and disliked it with a passion, I just did not enjoy it and so I chose d1 as my applied for this year:s-smilie:

LOL I would be the same tbh! :rofl:

Everything apart from partial fractions in C4 is looooooong. :work: Which book do you use for C4? Do you find it useful? I still haven't got a book for C4. :colonhash:

I did Statistics as a GCSE and found it fun. Ohh so your College/Sixth Form gave you a choice! Lucky!
LOL I would be the same tbh! :rofl:

Everything apart from partial fractions in C4 is looooooong. :work: Which book do you use for C4? Do you find it useful? I still haven't got a book for C4. :colonhash:

I did Statistics as a GCSE and found it fun. Ohh so your College/Sixth Form gave you a choice! Lucky!

Trust me, binomial takes the absolute piss 😬😬😬😬
I've always used the edexcel heinemann textbook (there's a solution bank for all of the answers online), most people I know use these text books for all maths modules as the exam style questions are similar to that of the exam.

I'll post a picture of the book on this thread tomorrow if you like?

Wow, that's so cool. My school didn't bother with a seperate stats gcse.

Quick Reply

Latest