The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So? Why should I care? Plato was intelligent. He also thought women had less teeth than men.

Aristotle, not Plato.
Original post by Thaladan
I disagree. You have to be among the cleverest people in the country to be admitted to Oxford, let alone to graduate there with a first.

On the other hand, only people with very low academic qualifications, which essentially are indicative of your intellectual ability, are going to apply for the lowest ranked university in the country.

I disagree with all three of these assertions.

You do not have to be exceptionally academically bright to be accepted to Oxford, nor to graduate with a first. Hard work can attain both of these things in the absence of oustanding mental abilities, and is even easier with the private tuition which many of the people involved have access to.

It is also wrong to say that academic qualifications are necessarily indicative of one's intellect. The former is infinitely more influenced by socioeconomic circumstances than intelligence. Roy Hattersley went to Hull and is now a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature. Churchill didn't go to university at all and won the Nobel Prize in Literature. The list is endless.
Original post by scrotgrot
Absolutely, you're Corbs I'm McDonnell let's tag team these Tory bastards

:rofl:

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm corbs.

How about you're corbs and I'm Watson. #dreamteam
Reply 83
I don't think University is that valuable to be honest, any country which limits its government to graduates is going to have serious incest problems, new ideas need to be allowed.
Jeremy Corbyn = JC = Jesus Christ

Or have I gravely miscalculated here?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-now-bigger-jesus-6150547
Original post by Josb
Aristotle, not Plato.

Well its hard to keep count. They all believed stupid crap they could have easily proved wrong :tongue:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So? Why should I care? Plato was intelligent. He also thought women had less teeth than men.

Women do have less teeth than men. However, women do not have fewer teeth than men.
Original post by offhegoes
My dad graduated with a first from Oxford, but I'd still sooner put my mum in charge of the country with her teaching training diploma.

All of my comments and links to articles summed up brilliantly by the above.
Reply 88
Original post by AliRizzo
Tories getting real desperate now trying to find any way to discredit Corbyn. First he was a danger to my family, then he was a terrorist sympathiser and now he's an uneducated fool. Shows you how scared they are of him.

But he is all of those things
Original post by whorace

^^^
Proof that Tory spin and media bias does work.
Reply 90
Original post by a noble chance
I disagree with all three of these assertions.

You do not have to be exceptionally academically bright to be accepted to Oxford, nor to graduate with a first. Hard work can attain both of these things in the absence of oustanding mental abilities, and is even easier with the private tuition which many of the people involved have access to.

It is also wrong to say that academic qualifications are necessarily indicative of one's intellect. The former is infinitely more influenced by socioeconomic circumstances than intelligence. Roy Hattersley went to Hull and is now a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature. Churchill didn't go to university at all and won the Nobel Prize in Literature. The list is endless.

Churchill went to Sandhurst, it's like the military Oxford
Reply 91
Original post by Ethereal World
^^^
Proof that Tory spin and media bias does work.

Don't be silly I don't even consider myself Tory anymore.
Original post by whorace
Don't be silly I don't even consider myself Tory anymore.

Doesn't mean you're not susceptible to the spin or the bias in the media, even the Beeb.

In fact that only proves my point further if you don't identify as a Tory anymore.
Reply 93
Doesn't mean you're not susceptible to the spin or the bias in the media, even the Beeb.

In fact that only proves my point further if you don't identify as a Tory anymore.

I have not made those decisions based on media, I have made them based on analysis of Hansard, PMQs, other MPs views, grass-roots discussion and general ideology, I do not need the media to tell me Corbyn is a moron.
:rofl:

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm corbs.

How about you're corbs and I'm Watson. #dreamteam

They won't know what's hit them when the Bromwich Bruiser goes berserk mode

Any you miss I'll sweep up with a quick side eye
Original post by whorace
I have not made those decisions based on media, I have made them based on analysis of Hansard, PMQs, other MPs views, grass-roots discussion and general ideology, I do not need the media to tell me Corbyn is a moron.

The views of what MPs?

PMQs, where Cameron ignores questions, doesn't answer them, and then belittles Corbyn to take the heat off? Great source.

And if you used to be a Tory then it's clear what your ideology points towards.
They won't know what's hit them when the Bromwich Bruiser goes berserk mode

Any you miss I'll sweep up with a quick side eye

There's actually a particular clip of Corbyn where I thought he looked hot doing the side eye. :getmecoat:
Original post by whorace

So's Cameron

Cuts tax credits for "hard working families"
Sucks up to the Saudis
The education we are discussing

It's just that the Mail doesn't produce splashes on the subject
Reply 99
So's Cameron

Cuts tax credits for "hard working families"
Sucks up to the Saudis
The education we are discussing

It's just that the Mail doesn't produce splashes on the subject

I am not a Cameron supporter, Cameron is clearly not smart enough to realise the market has limitations.

And if you used to be a Tory then it's clear what your ideology points towards.

Yes, sensible policies to reduce inequality instead of fairy tales.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending