The Student Room Group

Left uni... Help!!

Hi everyone, I have recently left uni because I really couldn't cope, felt I was being rushed into it and I don't know if the course was right for me. Everyone else are really enjoying it and now I'm really in such a stuck position. I wanted to be an art teacher hence taking fine art but when I left I went to do some work experience in a primary school which I enjoyed so I applied for primary education. BUTTT as I keep thinking about it I want to make the right decision so next time I go back I can be happy and confident in my choice.
I keep looking at so many uni courses and I keep putting myself off everything... even contemplating to whether I want to be a teacher! I'm so extremely anxious! So I feel its best for me to leave it a year so I can explore new things and decide.

Is/ has anyone been in this situation?
Would it be good to get an apprenticeship in the mean time so I have something else under my belt? Do people do apprenticeships even if they want a degree???

NEED ADVISE!!
There is no concept of making the "right" choice when it comes to big life decisions. All you can hope to do is make the best decision but knowing if it doesn't work out, you can make another decision.

Alas, if you figured out how to future proof life, you would become a very rich person indeed.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
There is no concept of making the "right" choice when it comes to big life decisions. All you can hope to do is make the best decision but knowing if it doesn't work out, you can make another decision.

Alas, if you figured out how to future proof life, you would become a very rich person indeed.

Good luck!

Yes but that's my problem I cant decide on anything im at such a mental block. I keep putting myself off everything
I think you need to ask yourself why you keep putting yourself off every course? Is it lack of self-confidence or is it that you're really not sure whether or not this is the right path?

Either way, I would suggest you don't start another university course if you are not 100% committed. As well as the student loan that you will have to pay back you would have two failed courses on your CV, which wouldn't look good to a future employer. The same goes for an apprenticeship and you don't want to start something that you are not committed to and drop out again.

Are you living at home? If so, and there is no pressure from your parents, then I would suggest you take time to work out what you are good at and which direction you want to go in. Would you want to travel? Maybe work in a kids summer camp overseas to build up your skills and confidence (and see if you enjoy working with children) or do some part-time jobs locally. Uni isn't the only route to success and it doesn't suit everyone. You may find that a more practical career suits you better - something that allows you to use your creative talents more freely.

Please don't feel "stuck" - everyone takes a few wrong turns during their early career. Just enjoy the adventure.
Original post by shanwood1
Yes but that's my problem I cant decide on anything im at such a mental block. I keep putting myself off everything

So why not do something else completely different? Take a year out. Clear your head. You are ruling everything out because you are scared with having made a poor decision and are therefore scared of making another poor decision.

If you do something completely different, you can then return to the problem in hand with a fresh set of eyes.

PS - there is nothing wrong with bad decisions. You tend to only make the same one once.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ByEeek
So why not do something else completely different? Take a year out. Clear your head. You are ruling everything out because you are scared with having made a poor decision and are therefore scared of making another poor decision.

If you do something completely different, you can then return to the problem in hand with a fresh set of eyes.

PS - there is nothing wrong with bad decisions. You tend to only make the same one once.

That's what everyone is telling me but I really just don't seem to listen. I know I liked teaching in a primary school, I think the thing that was scaring me was the idea of 'failing' again and that inability to cope. I am going to take a year out, get a job that will give me money. I would like to volunteer places, take up photography and enjoy things I like that I seem to have lost touch with them.
I think the thing that was scaring me was the idea of 'failing' again and that inability to cope.

But you are coping. At least you aren't sinking in the bottom of a well are you?

I am going to take a year out, get a job that will give me money. I would like to volunteer places, take up photography and enjoy things I like that I seem to have lost touch with them.

And it sounds to me like you have a plan. Get a job, do some volunteering, do some photography. So do that. Put your prospectuses down and start fretting about applications some time in the future.

Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by ByEeek
But you are coping. At least you aren't sinking in the bottom of a well are you?

And it sounds to me like you have a plan. Get a job, do some volunteering, do some photography. So do that. Put your prospectuses down and start fretting about applications some time in the future.

Good luck!

well it seemed like I was sinking because I keep waking up dreading my day because I would be so down and not know what to do with my day. It feels like such a struggle. I just couldn't see how it would help by taking a year out because I might not be able to decide... its just a really scary thing.
I just couldn't see how it would help by taking a year out because I might not be able to decide... its just a really scary thing.

I think the point to emphasis is that anything goes. If after a year, you still can't choose - that's ok. Perhaps you aren't destined for university? That's ok too. If you are really keen on being a teacher, have you thought of applying to be a classroom assistant?

Don't fret about the future. It will come whether you are ready or not. Focus on the now and keep half an eye on the future. Whatever happens in your life, you always have a choice and whichever choice you take is the right one. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. But if you make no choice, it will never happen.

So what are you going to do right now? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ByEeek
I think the point to emphasis is that anything goes. If after a year, you still can't choose - that's ok. Perhaps you aren't destined for university? That's ok too. If you are really keen on being a teacher, have you thought of applying to be a classroom assistant?

Don't fret about the future. It will come whether you are ready or not. Focus on the now and keep half an eye on the future. Whatever happens in your life, you always have a choice and whichever choice you take is the right one. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. But if you make no choice, it will never happen.

So what are you going to do right now? :smile:

Well university is somewhere I really want to go to because I feel I have worked really hard and want to continue my education to get a degree.. I just don't know what yet. primary education is one of my options but I still don't know because I feel like I may have been just not ready for my fine art course... that's the confusing thing.
Ive applied for some jobs in places like holister, oasis etc... just to get some money so buy a camera. maybe volunteer in another school. Idk yet.
but I still don't know because I feel like I may have been just not ready for my fine art course... that's the confusing thing

Wasn't it Mary Poppins who said "Some people can't see past the end of their nose?" If that is how you feel, then that is the answer. If you don't feel ready yet, go with it. You will know when you are ready. Honest gov! :smile:

I'm in a fairly similar(ish) situation so don't worry you're not alone. After doing a year and a half of my degree in tourism management I left because I hated it and now I'm deliberating whether to go back to uni this year to do creative writing with psychology, not sure if I'm able to get funding or if it's even the right decision which is preventing me from even applying!
Reply 12
Original post by ByEeek
Wasn't it Mary Poppins who said "Some people can't see past the end of their nose?" If that is how you feel, then that is the answer. If you don't feel ready yet, go with it. You will know when you are ready. Honest gov! :smile:

Don't think ive ever heard of that one?! haha and yes im hoping so I hope I know what I want to do soon to put my mind at rest.

Quick Reply

Latest